Windows 10: Network file sharing problems

Discus and support Network file sharing problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I’m having perplexing difficulty getting two Windows 10 desktop computers to share files over my network. The setup of the two computers (names... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by randym, Mar 11, 2018.

1. randym Win User

Network file sharing problems

I’m having perplexing difficulty getting two Windows 10 desktop computers to share files over my network. The setup of the two computers (names OFFICE-PC and TVROOM) is entirely symmetric (same network and sharing options, same Workgroup, same HomeGroup),yet TVROOM can access OFFICE-PC files but Office-PC cannot access TVROOM files.

This would seem to suggest a hardware problem preventing TVROOM from accepting connections. But a Windows 7 PC on the network (name ZOTAC, with same sharing options selected as the other computers) can access files on TVROOM.

Details of how the computers are set up, and on connectivity are below. Any help would be much appreciated.

Common settings for the computers are as follows:

Network and SharingCenter > Advanced Settings

Private profile is current profile with selections:
    Turn on networkdiscovery
    Turn on automaticsetup of network connected devices
    Turn on file andprinter sharing
    Use user accountsand passwords to connect to other computers

Guest or public selections:

Turn off networkdiscovery
    Turn off file andprinter sharing

All networks selections

Turn on sharing soanyone with network access can read and write files in public folders
    Use 128 bitencryption …
    Turn off password protected sharing (have also tried turning this option on, to be consistentwith the private profile selection, with no change in behavior)

For shared drives
    On security tab,created “Everyone” category with read access
    On sharing tab,advanced sharing, selected “Share this folder” and gave read access to “everyone”

Behavior

Rows 1 and 2 of the table below reports the asymmetrical behavior of the two Windows 10 computers. Note the error messages given in the table footnote.

Rows 3 and 4, and rows 5 and 6, show that the Windows 7 computer can access both Windows 10 computers, and both Windows 10 computers can access the Windows 7 computer.

:)

randym, Mar 11, 2018

2. Problem with network and sharing files.

Restart the Windows 10 machine then sign in. Proceed to restart the Windows 7 machine the log in, then try signing again.

In Windows 10, open Start, type: allow firewall

Hit Enter

Click Change settings

Scroll down to 'Change settings'

Scroll down to File and Printer Sharing

Check the box for Private and Public

Click OK

Try again.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 11, 2018
  3. BolaFahmi Win User
    Problem with network and sharing files.

Thanks for the quick reply, but sorry, didn't work either.

I have my firewall turned off, My Antivirus also turned off.

My network profile is set to private and my Sharing Settings are all configured.

What to do?!

BolaFahmi, Mar 11, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. What you don't tell us what happens when you try and connect do you see the share do you get an error when you try. You have set the shares but then you must set NTFS permissions on the folder or you won't connect if you don't have rights

Samuria, Mar 11, 2018
  5. randym Win User
    Row 1 of the table shows 3 different methods of trying to access TVROOM. There is no icon for TVROOM under "network", and there is no icon for TVROOM under "Homegroup". When I try to access TVROOM by specifying the path L: \\TVROOM from file explorer, the footnote to the table reports the error messages that occur.

I reported this information in my post. To repeat:
    For shared drives
    On security tab,created “Everyone” category with read access
    On sharing tab,advanced sharing, selected “Share this folder” and gave read access to“everyone”

randym, Mar 11, 2018
  6. randym Win User
    Correction: Row 1 of the table shows 3 different methods of trying to access TVROOM. There is an icon for TVROOM under "network" but clicking on it results in errors reported in table footnote, there is an icon for TVROOM under "Homegroup" but clicking it does nothing, and specifying the path L: \\TVROOM from file explorer results in error messages reported in table footnote.

randym, Mar 12, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
    Can you run this on every pc and see if it {a} sees all pc {b} and which one is master browser. Is netbios running on all pcs? can you map a drive via IP?

Samuria, Mar 12, 2018
  8. randym Win User

To keep things more simple, I'll focus on the two windows 10 computers (OFFICE-PC and TVROOM), and leave the windows 7 computer (ZOTAC) shut down. I mentioned ZOTAC only to make the point that two-way communication works between the ZOTAC and the two windows 10 computers.

Please see rows 1 and 2 of table 1 above for what each computer "sees" under “network” and under “homegroup.”

The service “TCP/IP NetBiosHelper is running on both computers.

I cannot map a TVROOM folder on OFFICE-PC using the IP address. I get the message “Windows cannot access \\192.168.1.165\e ; Check the Spelling of the name. Otherwise, etc” .When I click on “diagnose”, I get the message “Windows can’t communicate with the device or resource”

I can map an OFFICE-PC folder on TVROOM using the IP address.

With regard to figuring out which computer is the “master browser,” I cannot find instructions on the web for doing this that work. I did try one set of instructions that do not work from either computer. When I tried to implement those instructions from OFFICE-PC, I discovered that the command “net view” issued from the command prompt gives error message “the service has not been started.” This is so despite the fact that the services “Computer Browser” and “Workstation” are running.

The command “net view” issued from the command prompt on TVROOM works. However, the command “nbstat”, which my instructions said would reveal the Master Browser, is not a working command.

How do I find the Master Browser?

Note that the installation of Windows 10 on Office-PC was an upgrade from Windows 8.1, whereas the installation on TVROOM was a clean install.

Thanks.

randym, Mar 13, 2018
  9. Clintlgm Win User
    Assuming your P2P Work Group is set up correctly with shares and security permissions correctly.
    Here are a couple of settings that you need to check Program and Features/ Windows features SMB 1.0 select SMB 1.0 CIFC Client and select SMB 1.0 CIFC Server deselect select SMB 1.0 CIFC automatic removal.

In Services Homegroup listener and Provider, services need to be turned on Auto.

Clintlgm, Mar 13, 2018
  10. randym Win User
    Your suggestions got me a working network. There are quirks I can live with. Thanks to both you and Samuria for your help!

randym, Mar 13, 2018
  11. Salient Win User
    Just created an account here to say that THESE suggestions addressed my network issues. I've been sharing files among my PCs for many years without issue. Lately, the Windows 10 updates seem to keep taking my network file sharing down. This time, the above settings changes fixed my issues. Thank you!!

Slightly reformatted for exhaustive step by step...

1. Click windows icon in lower left, type 'Control Panel' and click on it in the search results
    2. Click on 'Program and Features' (if it isn't there, click on Programs, it should show up in that screen)
    3. Click on 'Turn windows features on or off' (window pops up)
    4. Next to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support, click the "+"
    5. Make sure the following are checked
    - SMB 1.0/CIFS Client
    - SMB 1.0/CIFS Server
    6. Make sure the following is UNchecked
    - SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal
    7. Click ok
    8. When it asks to restart, don't do it yet
    9. Click windows icon in lower left, type 'Services', click on 'Services' desktop app
    10. Find 'Homegroup listener' and 'Homegroup Provider'
    11. Right click on each and select properties
    12. Change startup type to 'automatic'
    13. Restart computer.

Salient, Mar 20, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Dear Randym:
    Please mark the thread as solved, so that others can benefit from the solution that has been worked out. Good job!
    You'll want to click the green button that reads "Mark as solved" at the top of the page for this thread.
    Thanks!
    --Ed--

Network file sharing problems [​IMG]

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network file sharing problems - Similar Threads - Network file sharing

2. Problem sharing files and Network Credentials error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem sharing files and Network Credentials error: Hello, I'm a new forum member and I could use some help solving some win 10 problems regarding sharing files and a persistent Network credentials expired password and incorrect password errors. I have a new Acer Nitro-5 laptop with a i5, 8 gb, GeForce GTX 1650 using...
  3. Network Sharing Problem

Network Sharing Problem: Hi, I run Windows 10. I am having a lot of problems trying to set up an network with a computer using Windows 7. There is too many problems to list here at one time so I will start with one that I don't understand. 1. When I click on a hard drive an then right click on it...
  4. Networking & File Sharing problems

Networking & File Sharing problems: I've had numerous computers over the years and never have been able to get networking/file sharing to work consistently. It works one day, then not the next. One computer sees the other but the other can't see it one day, then the next day, that computer sees the other but...
  5. Problems sharing files over network

Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  6. Problems sharing files over network

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  7. Network sharing problem

Network sharing problem: Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet. There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home...
  8. Network sharing problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Network sharing problem: Hi. I am trying to connect three home computers so they all see and share folders & files. I am almost there (I like to think), but have come up with a problem I haven't been able to solve yet. There are two PCs running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10 (all Home...
  9. Problem with network sharing

Problem with network sharing: Hi all, I am having a small problem with sharing files from this PC to other devices. What happens is that every time I restart the PC the other devices on the network can no longer access it's shared folders. Using the netstat /ano command I can see that port 445 is not...
  10. Network Sharing File Access Problem

Network Sharing File Access Problem: I've been reviewing the simple folder sharing setup on my three Windows 10 PCs. I'm trying to share folders between three computers on the same network by right clicking the folder and giving access to Everyone without using a Home Group. All computers have Windows 10 Pro (PC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb4551762 files sharing problem

2. file sharing problems