Windows 10: Network File sharing question

Discus and support Network File sharing question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks I can't seem to find any satisfactory answer to the following scenario Computer A (Linux) File server shares HDD1 and HDD2 with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jan 21, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Network File sharing question

Hi folks

I can't seem to find any satisfactory answer to the following scenario

Computer A (Linux) File server shares HDD1 and HDD2 with a Windows computer

So on the Windows computer (Computer B) have shared Network Drives Y and Z

Now on ANOTHER Windows computer (Computer C)that can see Computer B (the Windows machine) but not the Linux one (Computer A) is it possible to access the shared Network drives Y and Z on Computer C from the shared resources on Computer B i.e can I connect Y and Z as network files on Computer C.

I can't seem to make this work but there must be a way surely. - Note Computer C cannot access the Linux machine (Computer A) - if it could there wouldn't be a problem as the drives could also be connected as networked drives.

Even on VM's on a LAN I can't get this scenario to work - but it must be possible --surely SHARED resources on COMPUTER B can be accessed by COMPUTER C.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 21, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

I have devices connect to my network how find?

Go to Control Panel - Network and Sharing, then turn on Network Discovery and File Sharing

I hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Jan 21, 2017
  3. sml156 Win User

Is computer B a Win 7 OS and is computer C a Win 10 OS.

sml156, Jan 21, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Both Computer B and C are W10 computers (W10 Pro X-64). Computer A is Linux

Note though If it can be done on W7 I'd re-install W7 on computer C (or B or Both !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 21, 2017
  5. sml156 Win User
    Have you tried connecting with file explorer and typing the location
    EG:
    Code: \\192.168.xxx.xxx\Computer-name\Folder[/quote] Also when I have problems finding my network drive I use a network scanner called SoftPerfect Network Scanner : fast advanced network scanner (It's free) it can scan your entire network and also find shared drives and if you right click on them you have the option to map them or if you double click on them it will open them in file explorer.

sml156, Jan 21, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Also when I have problems finding my network drive I use a network scanner called SoftPerfect Network Scanner : fast advanced network scanner (It's free) it can scan your entire network and also find shared drives and if you right click on them you have the option to map them or if you double click on them it will open them in file explorer.[/quote]
    Hi that's NOT the problem -- If I could connect directly then I would

The whole problem is that you can't seem to share the networked drive to another computer -- so simply sharing Y with Computer C won't work.

If you have access directly to the NAS from computer C --problem solved -- but say Computer C has no access -- but Computer B does --what then.

There's no problem in FINDING the computers !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 22, 2017
  7. Berton Win User

A few years ago with Win7, Mac OS X and Linux Mint computers on my Network I decided to add a NAS drive to my Router connected by Ethernet cable then Map it to any computer I wanted to share files whether Wired or Wireless. The NAS drive has its own Operating System to translate the files according to the computer, for example all OSes with LibreOffice installed can use the same file. In other words it's good to use cross-platform versions of programs. In the case of Microsoft Office there are Windows versions and Mac OS X versions although for the Linux I could save the Office documents as a different format such as .rtf/Rich Text Format and not lose much except maybe in the 'fanciest' or most advanced formatting. Even WordPerfect and Lotus WordPro [now IBM Lotus Symphony] can use .rtf, probably more such programs.

A nice feature of using a NAS drive with a Router is that no one computer has to be running for another computer to have access, just the Router and drive/s.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network File sharing question - Similar Threads - Network File sharing

2. Networking and File Sharing question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Networking and File Sharing question: Hello, I've been trying to get file sharing working on my home network. I've got three PC's all running Windows 10 Home, all directly wired to the router. I've already changed the properties of the drives I want to share. When I open File Explorer, and go to the network tab,...
  3. Network / File share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network / File share: I have just about given up trying to share files and folders between computers on my home LAN. I have a desktop PC and a Microsoft Surface, both running fully updated Windows 10. Sometimes, they can see each other in File Explorer under network. Most often they cannot....
  4. File Sharing on the network

File Sharing on the network: I want to share files with other specific users on our small LAN (7 PC's). Here is as far as I can get: I navigate to the file I want to share. Right click on the file Select Give access to Choose "Specific people" In Network Access I find my own sign-on is already...
  5. Network File Sharing

Network File Sharing: I can't figure out how to set up file sharing between my laptop and desktop computers. Turning on file sharing on Control Panel doesn't do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-file-sharing/86e05328-0426-49dc-9068-bf4fc746f87f
  6. network / file sharing

network / file sharing: Hi I have desktop and 2 laptops running windows 10. Homegroup is not available. I have shared the files / folders I want to use but the laptops/PCs only show up as media devices. I have shared the files exactly as shown on your help pages. All 3 devices can link to...
  7. Home Network File Sharing

Home Network File Sharing: Hello, I have recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop. I know that there is no longer a "homegroup" setting for file sharing. I have set up network discovery and I can access my files on my desktop from my laptop - which is what I want....
  8. Network question Daisy chaining shares

Network question Daisy chaining shares: Hi folks If I have a NAS / LINUX server and a Windows machine on a network I can mount a Windows drive on to the NAS server and if it's mounted on a SAMBA share e.g /mnt/sharename then anybody who has access to the server can also access the Windows share (assuming right...
  9. Network sharing question

Network sharing question: Hi there Any idea how I do this in windows I have two machines currently NAS Linux servers : Brownbear and Gudmundur In Gudmundur I have a share HDD0 available as a SAMBA share. on Brownbear I want to access this HDD. There's nothing (and no need to) in the...
  10. network file sharing

network file sharing: I apologize if this is not allowed here and will understand if it gets removed. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to resolve this. I need this for work. I don't want to have to buy a laptop with Windows just to do this. Thank you everyone. I am...