Windows 10: network file sharing

Discus and support network file sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I apologize if this is not allowed here and will understand if it gets removed. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to resolve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Windowsfree, Jan 25, 2016.

1. network file sharing

I apologize if this is not allowed here and will understand if it gets removed. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to resolve this. I need this for work. I don't want to have to buy a laptop with Windows just to do this.
    Thank you everyone.

I am running UbuntuGnome 15.10 on my laptop. I need to connect to file shares on a Windows 10 Desktop on the same network. This desktop has one user. The user has it set up so that when computer is powered on, it automatically logs into the user's account without a password. I need to access a folder that is shared on that machine. When I attempt to access it from laptop, I am prompted for a USER ID and PASSWORD for the WORKGROUP. If I enter the user's ID without Password, i cannot access the folder. I have tried different combinations but cannot get access. I want to automount this when I log into my laptop as I need access to work.

:)

Windowsfree, Jan 25, 2016

2. Network File Sharing

Hi,

Start - Settings - Network and Internet - scroll down to "Change advanced

sharing options - All networks section -> tick "Turn off password protected

sharing".

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jan 25, 2016
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Network file sharing

Hi,

Since your concern involves managing shared folders for LAN-connected computers, we recommend posting on

this page
    to get advanced suggestions from the IT Pro users in TechNet. You will find more people with expertise over the matter you are working on.

Regards.

Ruz San, Jan 25, 2016
  4. linw Win User

network file sharing

Seen this. Had to add a password to the user that had the share.

Maybe someone here knows whether there is an answer to the no-password dilemma.

5. Thank you for your info, I will pass that on to the owner of the Windows computer.

Windowsfree, Jan 26, 2016
  6. Thank you for the information. Password was added and I can now get to the shared folder.

Windowsfree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

network file sharing

1. network file sharing - Similar Threads - network file sharing

2. Network File Sharing Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network File Sharing Issue: I could access \\OtherUserPcName and enter their PC to view his shared file/folder, but others could not access \\MyPcName to view my shared folder. I have checked all the necessary options in network sharing setting, and my connection is set to private.Are there any settings...
  3. Network File Sharing Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network File Sharing Issue: I could access \\OtherUserPcName and enter their PC to view his shared file/folder, but others could not access \\MyPcName to view my shared folder. I have checked all the necessary options in network sharing setting, and my connection is set to private.Are there any settings...
  4. Network / File share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network / File share: I have just about given up trying to share files and folders between computers on my home LAN. I have a desktop PC and a Microsoft Surface, both running fully updated Windows 10. Sometimes, they can see each other in File Explorer under network. Most often they cannot....
  5. File Sharing on the network

File Sharing on the network: I want to share files with other specific users on our small LAN (7 PC's). Here is as far as I can get: I navigate to the file I want to share. Right click on the file Select Give access to Choose "Specific people" In Network Access I find my own sign-on is already...
  6. Sharing files on home network

Sharing files on home network: I have 3 computers on my home wireless network all running windows 10. I have done the steps to give access to Everyone but I cannot see the other computers on the network at all - or the folders I have shared. What am I missing?...
  7. Network File Sharing

Network File Sharing: I can't figure out how to set up file sharing between my laptop and desktop computers. Turning on file sharing on Control Panel doesn't do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-file-sharing/86e05328-0426-49dc-9068-bf4fc746f87f
  8. Unidentified network and file sharing

Unidentified network and file sharing: I connect 2 computers with ethernet, each with different IP number. The network is tagged as "Unidentified Network", ok but what is required to be identified? It seems that the network is set to be public and I can't change it to private. If I want to ping each other I...
  9. network / file sharing

network / file sharing: Hi I have desktop and 2 laptops running windows 10. Homegroup is not available. I have shared the files / folders I want to use but the laptops/PCs only show up as media devices. I have shared the files exactly as shown on your help pages. All 3 devices can link to...
  10. Home Network File Sharing

Home Network File Sharing: Hello, I have recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop. I know that there is no longer a "homegroup" setting for file sharing. I have set up network discovery and I can access my files on my desktop from my laptop - which is what I want....