Windows 10: Network frustration - desktop cannot access laptop

Discus and support Network frustration - desktop cannot access laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop and laptop on the same home network, both part of the same workgroup. No homegroup. On the desktop, in File Explorer, I can see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by fifer, May 23, 2018.

1. fifer Win User

Network frustration - desktop cannot access laptop

I have a desktop and laptop on the same home network, both part of the same workgroup. No homegroup. On the desktop, in File Explorer, I can see the laptop but cannot access it. I ran Network troubleshooter and have attached the log file. I have no idea if it is helpful.
    On my laptop, my desktop cannot be seen in File explorer.
    I have checked the obvious things like Network discovery is on, File and printer sharing is on, plus a few other things. I have restarted both computers, as well as my modem and router.
    Any help will be appreciated

:)

fifer, May 23, 2018

2. Networking between laptop and desktop on same network both under Windows 10

We have 6 computers on our PERSONAL HOME network (NOT HomeGroup as we have mutiple versions of Windows - on purpose). Prior to WIN10, we were able to open files and share access.

I have WIN10 on my Dell Laptop and we just installed WIN10 on our desktop. Once we updated the desktop we have the following scenario:

WIN10 Desktop CAN access my WIN10 DELL Laptop

WIN10 Desktop CAN access our Vista Dell Laptop

WIN10 DELL Laptop CAN acccess our Vista Dell Laptop

WIN10 DELL Laptop CANNOT access our WIN10 Desktop

Cannot find any help on this but need to resolve this as soon as possible.

Any suggestions?

shark13diver, May 24, 2018
  3. Tom850i Win User
    Windows 10 sees but cannot access some devices on network

My desktop sees two laptops, a disk drive and a printer (My network window shows these devices). I can open the disk drive, but when I click on the printer or the two laptops from my Network screen, I get this error "Windows cannot access \\xxxxxxx". Both
    laptops are connected to the network and have no issues with internet access. Both laptops are W10. All devices are in "Workgroup". The printer has a discovery method of "NetBIOS". The laptops have a discovery method of "WSD".

Before upgrading to W10 all these devices were accessible from my desktop.

Any suggestions?

Tom850i, May 24, 2018
Thema:

Network frustration - desktop cannot access laptop

1. Network frustration - desktop cannot access laptop - Similar Threads - Network frustration desktop

2. Windows laptop cannot find desktop on network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows laptop cannot find desktop on network: On my home network, my desktop can see and access my laptop. However, my laptop cannot see the desktop.My desktop is running Windows 10 Home 20H2, OS build 19042.1165. My laptop is running the same version.The network is routed through an ASUS router. The desktop is connected...
  3. Network credentials frustration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network credentials frustration: I have just reinstalled Windows 10 and fully updated it. I made a careful note of the email address I used and the password than set up a pin to sign in, I can se my synology NAS drive and can access it from THIS PC and can access it if i click on the icon and see all the...
  4. Two laptops on home network, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two laptops on home network, Windows cannot access: Computer #1 - Dell Computer #2 HP DELL cannot access the C; drive on HP windows cannot access \\hp\\c you do not have permission to access, HP can access the c: drive on Dell Both running windows 10 pro. How do I get Dell to access HP Tried all items posted,...
  5. Frustration with Networking

Frustration with Networking: I am having an ongoing issue with a Desktop Unit I have with an ASUS Z97-C Main Board with the Intel i218-V Built in Network interface running Windows10 32 bit. It will connect to my network but claims there is NO Connectivity to the INTERNET which is INCORRECT. I have RESET...
  6. Extreme frustration with Libraries / Network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extreme frustration with Libraries / Network: So I've been using my TV to access my PC as they are on the same wi-fi. I would put a video file in the "Videos" folder and it would appear when accessing Videos through the TV (PC>Videos>All Videos>New File). This worked. Now when I went similarly (using the TV) to...
  7. Cannot see Desktop or Laptop on the network

Cannot see Desktop or Laptop on the network: I recently updated Windows 10 Pro to 1903. So far everything worked ok, except that My Desktop cannot see my Laptop and vice versa. I tried all sorts of things without resolving this issue. Even accessing \\198.168.0.1 tells me that it cannot access \\XXXXXPC with the...
  8. Home Networking – Windows cannot access \\Laptop

Home Networking – Windows cannot access \\Laptop: Hi, For several reasons I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my Laptop and I can no longer access my Laptop from any other PCs on my home network. This feature was working well before I reinstalled Windows. When I open File Explorer and click from another PC on any of the PCs...
  9. Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI: I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed...
  10. Windows 10 laptop cannot access network computers

Windows 10 laptop cannot access network computers: Windows 10 laptop cannot access network computers Network setup: W10 laptop(Home, v1607 but problem was even before v1511) connected via either Ethernet or wireless to a TP-link MR3420 router( firewall disabled). W10 tablet (Pro, v1511), wireless. W7 desktop Ethernet...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot find Dell on workgroup 2019