Windows 10: Network Gurus - help with setting up a Proxy server

Discus and support Network Gurus - help with setting up a Proxy server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there @ network gurus Any decent SIMPLE ( like class 101 for idiots !!) instructions on how to set up a decent proxy server on a home network.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Oct 14, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Network Gurus - help with setting up a Proxy server

Hi there

@ network gurus

Any decent SIMPLE ( like class 101 for idiots !!) instructions on how to set up a decent proxy server on a home network. Messing around protecting 8 - 10 individual machines on a home LAN is getting tiresome - and I want to make the system fairly "child and Grand child" proof too especially when they bring their own tablets / phones etc.

I don't care WHAT other people's kids do on the Internet on their own Wi-Fi systems - they can even order 5 large "Nukes" for all I care but they can do it on their OWN systems back home. I don't want to get dragged into all this as people start looking at Internet usage and logging sites visited etc.

My preference would be to have it on a Linux server - my main one rarely gets re-booted - it just runs and runs in a small box out of sight and out of mind but I could do it on a Windows machine.

Any help or links would be gratefully appreciated - but SIMPLE please !!!

(I assume I'd also need to do something on the Router too to stop people directly accessing the wifi bypassing the proxy server).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 14, 2014

2. Dolby Access Error: Network Failure?

I was actually able to solve mine by resetting network settings from:

Settings>Network and Internet> Reset Network Settings

Then afterwards restarting, go into the search bar look up: CONFIGURE PROXY SERVER then LAN SETTINGS then uncheck USE A PROXY SERVER FOR YOUR LAN

LAN Proxy Settings greyed out

This link should help.

Pio Gavino, Oct 14, 2014
  3. MSN News App - An Error has Occurred

Go to Setting

Network Internet

proxy

Turn Off Proxy server

Hope this HELP

HoanVu1954, Oct 14, 2014
  4. Network Gurus - help with setting up a Proxy server

Hey Jimbo, I see that you didn't receive any replies and I thought people would jump all over this...umm. Anyway, I did a google search for Linux proxy servers and returned several different versions and different ideals. And I'm pretty sure you would of done the same...so my question to you is, did you find a solution or are you still looking for a proxy server?

Way back when I ran a proxy server using Windows 95 for an outfit I was working for...I don't remember the name of the software that we used, but I do know it worked fine, until some who knew how to change the proxy server to none and they could circumvent the proxy and go where they wanted too.

So, with that information, wouldn't it be wiser and easier to do this with your existing router? If you have several "wifi" enable users and "wired" connections, you are either going to set the proxy server field manually and or have the router dish it out to all users. I think it would be easier just to block access to sites you don't want users to access from the router.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth for the day.

play2mefish, Nov 2, 2014
Thema:

Network Gurus - help with setting up a Proxy server

1. Network Gurus - help with setting up a Proxy server - Similar Threads - Network Gurus help

2. Proxy Servers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Proxy Servers: Is it advisable to use a proxy server for my wireless network? Setup script address was 127.0.0.1:86...Is this a normal configuration? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/proxy-servers/f9dcdd46-0421-4e37-b477-24943eeb017a
  3. Windows could not automatically detect the network’s proxy server settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows could not automatically detect the network’s proxy server settings: About the time of the last Windows 10 update, my PC lost its reliable WiFi connectivity to the internet. Troubleshooting yielded the error message in the title of this post. Researching the "try this" approaches to fix the problem, I have completed the following:...
  4. Proxy server

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Proxy server: For quite some time after a Microsoft Update I have had to manually turn off the proxy server each day in order to get on the internet. The "Save" button is greyed out, so unable to save the turned off setting. I have spoken to techs about this and they ran some tests, but to...
  5. Network proxy settings?

Network proxy settings?: I cannot play games on my computer because it says it cannot connect to the game servers. Then I do a troubleshooting for my network and the pc detected an issue. it says " Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings". Please help me fix this and let...
  6. Proxy Server Settings

Proxy Server Settings: My desktop always logs in linked to the proxy server http=127.0.0.1:7070;https=127.0.0.1:7070. I have tried everything I know including registry changes to stop this. Any ideas how I can prevent it happening?...
  7. Networking Gurus - what does this mean -- help

Networking Gurus - what does this mean -- help: Hi folks Although this is from a Linux VM I'm sure any networking guru would know what the screenshot displays --where I've got the question marks. [img] Can anybody explain what it actually means in plain English (or Icelandic if you prefer !!). I assume TX means...
  8. proxy server settings

proxy server settings: afternoon all, i have recently put a lot of effort in to setting up a media server. i'm getting a big issue with windows being stupid and trying to use my proxy server on local addresses even though i told it not to. this is infuriating because it overloads my proxy...
  9. Proxy Server

Proxy Server: I have Internet access but on a lot of sites it says that I can't get on the site because of the Proxy Server. This is only happening on one Computer and my other 3 have no problems but they don't have windows 10? 18589
  10. Help Network Gurus - Network Switch improves speed a lot !!!

Help Network Gurus - Network Switch improves speed a lot !!!: Hi there I can't understand this at all but any network Gurus out there Got rid of 4 X LAN 100 metre cables which went into an AC 1900 nighthawk extender - which connected to my main ISP router via wi fi on 5GHZ band (temporary solution until I can lay a decent Lan...