Windows 10: Network icon disappeared from Taskbar after Windows Update 1511 10586

Discus and support Network icon disappeared from Taskbar after Windows Update 1511 10586 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, After I updated to the latest Windows 10 "upgrade" (Build 1511, 10586) released yesterday thru Windows Update, my system shows only the Wi-Fi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rameshiyer, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Network icon disappeared from Taskbar after Windows Update 1511 10586

Hi,

After I updated to the latest Windows 10 "upgrade" (Build 1511, 10586) released yesterday thru Windows Update, my system shows only the Wi-Fi icon on Taskbar instead of the Ethernet Network icon which it used to display earlier. I have a wired broadband connection, and keep my Wi-Fi Adapter settings "Disabled". Yet, the icon shows the Aeroplane mode of Wi-Fi icon on Taskbar, instead of the Network icon it used to display before this update. At times my wired BB connection tends to become unstable, so I need to keep track if the connection is down, before I do some critical activity on Internet, like large download (which I may be unable to Resume), or Netbanking or online shopping, etc.
    How do I get the Network icon instead of the Wi-Fi icon on the Taskbar in the new Build 1511 ?

Thanks
    Ramesh

:)

rameshiyer, Nov 12, 2015

2. Network icon disappeared from Taskbar after Windows Update Build 1511 10586

I managed to get the Network icon back on my Taskbar after a few simple steps I tried out on my own -

1. Turned off Airplane Mode as well as Wi-Fi connection / disabled adapter (as I connect to Internet thru RJ45 cable

2. Connect RJ45 cable to PC and you should see the Network icon on taskbar

If you still don't see the Network icon on the Taskbar, then it could be some other issue. Read on some forums that NIC device drivers may need to be updated to "enable" Ethernet adapter works properly after this Windows 10 Build 1511 update.

RameshIyer, Nov 12, 2015
  3. Network icon disappeared from Taskbar after Windows Update Build 1511 10586

After I updated to the latest Windows 10 upgrade Built 1511, my system shows only the Wi-Fi icon or the Aeroplane mode icon instead of the Ethernet Network icon, which it used to display earlier. I have a wired broadband connection, and keep my Wi-Fi Adapter
    Disabled.

Yet, the icon shows the Aeroplane mode of Wi-Fi icon on Taskbar, instead of the Network icon it used to display before this update.

At times, my wired BB connection tends to become unstable, so I need to keep track if the connection is down.

How do I get the Network icon instead of the Wi-Fi icon on the Taskbar like before?

Thanks!

RameshIyer, Nov 12, 2015
  4. Network icon disappeared from Taskbar after Windows Update 1511 10586

Navigate to Settings>System>Notifications and actions.
    Click on Turn system Icons on or off.
    Check if the Network icon is turned off

Sumit Dhiman, Nov 12, 2015
  5. Yes, the Network icon is shown as "On" but strangely, it refers to Wi-Fi Adapter, not my Ethernet Adapter. Don't know how to change my Network to Ethernet Adapter as default. That might help resolve this issue.

rameshiyer, Nov 12, 2015
  6. Bibhu Win User
    Is it updating to latest build in India. I could not update using Windows update.

Bibhu, Nov 12, 2015
  7. CPA
    cpa Win User
    I have the same problem...
    The airplane icon is show always. If I click on it, I can see the Network status, but on the previous release, if the Network status was right, the airplane was not showing...

8. CPA
    cpa Win User

Network icon disappeared from Taskbar after Windows Update 1511 10586

I've posted this question under Microsoft Community. Here is the link:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-278f7132491d

Hope would not be a problem to post the link here...

Regards...

9. Same here:
    I solved by now disabling airplane mode; then I plug in the ethernet cable and the network icon appears.
    But I used to turn airplane mode on (so I have wifi and bluetooth OFF, to save battery).
    Now If I turn Airplane ON it replaces my network icon... instead of adding it like windows 10 10240 before 1511 update.
    I'm hating windows 10!!!

Any solution?

PowerDrome, Nov 17, 2015
  10. CPA
    cpa Win User
    Nothing by now...
    There is no response *Zip from Microsoft to this issue... *Rolleyes

11. celixyz Win User
    Same problem with me after updating TH2, missing network icon, only plane icon....
    The Internet is working fine...only the icon that I miss alot.
    This problem made me not to update the other pc with th2 *Sad

celixyz, Nov 19, 2015
  12. I use this workaround: airplane mode OFF, if u want wifi and bluetooth OFF disable them, unplug ethernet cable, plug eth cable again and the network icon is back;

Yes the problem is that if we turn ON airplane mode the airplane icon replace the network one

PowerDrome, Nov 19, 2015
  13. equiplist Win User

--- @cpa wrote

I went to that answers.microsoft thread, I made a post over there, below is a copy

--- reinstalling the drivers for the network solved the problem for me ---

I have been on Win7 a long time. When the first reviews came out in favor of Win10, I installed it on my laptop. For many various reasons, I wasn't happy with it, and went back to Win7.

Several months later, I tried again, same result. Full details are beyond the point of this post.

I just tried Win10 again, this time on my desktop. I am *trying* to stay with it. A major thing that is difficult getting used to is Windows ramming updates down my throat.

As the first go-rounds of trying Win10 were on the laptop, I had the Wifi set as 'metered' so that I could install updates when I wanted to. But with the desktop I am unable to do that.

---Windows network discovery, is a separate issue, but it is what brought me here. I frequently use the home network to backup important files. And *every* time I run my backup, I have to go into 'advanced sharing options' and turn on network discovery. It just doesn't stay set, keeps reverting back. This was happening with Win7 and continued with Win10.

I tried trouble-shooting to no avail, it wasn't worth the time and gave up. Before I ran my backups, it was automatic to click on the network icon and re-set for network discovery.

After a session at my desktop today, I was dismayed to NOT see the network icon in the tray. And Windows was really acting strange. I tried several times to turn the icon off and on, but when I did, it would *turn OTHER icons* off and on. The internet was working fine but, I could not get the network icon to show.
    Internet search brought me to this thread. After trying several different solutions, I found that reinstalling the drivers for the network solved the problem for me.

In the process, I found a new setting for Windows updates "defer upgrades". The 'learn more' link took me to

Defer upgrades in Windows 10
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-in-windows-10

---"Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available."

Well gee thanks Microsoft.

Obviously, your latest Win10 update did something screwy. It is painfully apparent that this is how it is going to be ... so I sure as hell don't wan't "the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available".

equiplist, Feb 18, 2016
  14. equiplist Win User
    --- UPDATE to my last post

Win10 was doing other weird stuff. All of it happening after the latest update. I felt the need to re-install, but thought it was better to revert to Win7 first, this went fine. The OS is on an SSD drive, things went quickly. I re-installed Win10 with the ethernet cable disconnected.

I immediately reviewed my update settings. On the drop-down I selected 'notify to reschedule restart'. I checked the box to 'defer upgrades'. I connected the ethernet cable. A little while later, I checked, and sure enough, there was an update waiting to install ... KB 3135173.

Internet search showed this is the problem.
    reference: InfoWorld.com article Windows 10 forced update KB 3135173 changes browser and other defaults

--- RESOLUTION

1. Uninstall the unwanted Windows Update.

In the settings window, search for "installed updates".
    Right click on the unwanted update and uninstall.
    Restart.
    2. Prevent from being reinstalled.

Download and run "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package
    support.microsoft.com ... kb/3073930.

--- MY COMMENTS

It's the damndest thing. You would expect that the folks at Microsoft have tested this stuff before releasing it to the general public. I mean, they using are Win10 eh? What happens when their personal and work computers have these problems?

equiplist, Feb 20, 2016
  15. Yes, you would think so. This win10 has really caused so many wasted hours all over the world. I'm self employed and can't afford any more issues. No doubt they will come with the next update. It's been one thing after another for me since I started trying to use it a few weeks ago. Part of me wishes I had just stayed with XP but I was getting nervous that it would start causing issues because it's no longer supported. All I need is something that works quick and easy access to everything so I can get on with my daily tasks. Instead, Ive had to become a full time computer technician just to be able to do a simple task on win10 and get it working. Simple things like a start menu or installed fonts should not freezing up or going missing. Yet here I am still looking for solutions to get an operating system I can use again.

ausworkshop, Feb 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Network icon disappeared from Taskbar after Windows Update 1511 10586 - Similar Threads - Network icon disappeared

2. Cannot update from 10586, v 1511, to 16299, v 1803

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot update from 10586, v 1511, to 16299, v 1803: My laptop runs Win10, 10586 and when I boot up I have been getting the message to update. No matter what I do like follow the instructions, use an iso file to update the update fails. Loading, verification and installation seem o.k., but everytime it fails. The error code...
  3. OneDrive icon disappears from taskbar after logging in

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive icon disappears from taskbar after logging in: I was having the same issue, fought and fought the problem and it ended up for me being that “Microsoft OneDrive” in Startup was Disabled. [ATTACH] Solution: Click search, enter Task Manager Open Task Manager Click on Startup tab Browse the programs listed, make...
  4. Update Version 1511, 10586 Won't install

Update Version 1511, 10586 Won't install: Good morning everyone! My updates show that 1511, 10586 is ready and will install after a restart. Well after it restarts it does nothing at all. Just restarts normally. It is set to auto restart so it just pops up in the middle of everything to restart and still does...
  5. 1511 10586 update

1511 10586 update: Hi all, I have a Samsung Laptop which has Windows 7 Home edition on it. I have upgraded it to the Windows 10 Home and all is fine. Windows now informs me that an upgrade version 1511, 10586 is ready to update so I clicked check for udates and it says click to download,...
  6. Windows 10 update to 1511, 10586 freezes

Windows 10 update to 1511, 10586 freezes: Windows 10 update to 1511, 10586 freezes at "Preparing to install updates 32%". When this happened I did a search and followed the following: ran net stop wuauserv net stop bits Restarted and tried deleting all in c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution but some wouldn't, so.....
  7. No network after Windows 10 build 10586 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No network after Windows 10 build 10586 update: I updated my Windows 10 pro to 10586 build (not insider) using windows update. And now my network connection is gone. LAN cable is connected router is fine other PCs connect just fine i even tried changing LAN cables and ports on router. I see exclamation mark in task bar...
  8. Windows 8.0 computer not showing in network on Windows 10 10586 (1511)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 8.0 computer not showing in network on Windows 10 10586 (1511): 4PCs: Vista1 Vista2 Win8 Win10 using Workgroup Network: The older PCs still behave normally, can see each other and Win10. The Win10 PC has two problems: 1) It can't see Win8 (sees only the other 3). 2) Win10 Net View in command prompt shows no PCs, just a message about...
  9. SD card reader not working after 10586 1511 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD card reader not working after 10586 1511 update: My HP laptop automatically got a new update today. Took almost 35 minutes to get it done. So far the only thing not working is my SD Card Reader. Anyone have any suggestions to get it working, I use it a lot! Hp was originally windows 7 and first windows 10 update was several...
  10. Windows 10 version 1511 10586

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 version 1511 10586: Has anyone had this update restart your machine 11 or 12 times and still Windows still wants to do it again. I have over the last 10 or so days. How now brown cow? Microsoft folks, is it an update or are you just being annoying!!!???? Please advise. I would like to get past...