Windows 10: Network icon showing but clicking does nothing

Discus and support Network icon showing but clicking does nothing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I have recently clean installed Windows 10 CU. I am testing Windows 10 in a dual boot scenario with my Windows 7 installation. I have done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Network icon showing but clicking does nothing

Hello.

I have recently clean installed Windows 10 CU. I am testing Windows 10 in a dual boot scenario with my Windows 7 installation. I have done about a dozen installs but this is the first time this problem has occurred.

The Network Icon shows up in the system tray.
    If I hover over it I can see "Internet Access".
    If I right Click it I get two options: Troubleshoot Problems and Open Network and Sharing Center.
    If I left click it nothing happens. I don't see the list of known networks.

I have access to my home network and the Internet - no issues there - I just can't get the list of networks when I left click the icon.

I've tried disabling/enabling it. Damned if I can figure out why this is happening.

I'm using classic shell for my start menu, but I've been using that on all tests and this problem did not present on any of the other times I did a clean install.

It's not my security software - I haven't gotten that far. At present I've got office, a few authoring programs, Macrium reflect and OpenVPN installed.

I don't know if the is specific to Windows 10 as I've seen a couple of posts on google about the same issue on Windows 7, but none with solutions.

:)

Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 5, 2017

2. Start Menu Disappeared and Wireless Icon is Insensitive

I use Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3. Out of the blue, the start menu disappeared. I click on the start button, and nothing happens. In addition, when I hover over the wireless icon in the tray, it does not show what wireless network I am using. If I click
    on the wireless network icon, nothing happens. (It used to show me all of the available wireless networks.) Finally, when I sweep in from the right sign of my Surface Pro 3 screen, nothing happens. (It used to bring up a wide ranging set of menus.)

Any thoughts? I don't know if this change corresponds to any recent update, but the problems first surfaced yesterday, October 6, 2015.

TomStubbs57, Jun 5, 2017
  3. Clicking on the "Help and Support" Icon does nothing.

That "Help and Support" Icon was not part of Win 10. I never saw it before I upgraded and figured it was part of Win 10. It was evidently a fragmented link to an old program I deleted and Win 10 put it on the desk top when loading. I with help from MS Tech
    Support we just deleted it completely.

StephenMarkowitz, Jun 5, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Network icon showing but clicking does nothing

Just as a test, does this work? In settings? To see if it will display at all. Maybe clicking it a few times will clear some cobwebs. Just a S.W.A.G.

Network icon showing but clicking does nothing [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jun 5, 2017
  5. Thanks for your reply.
    Sadly, clicking on "show available networks" also does nothing.

6. f14tomcat Win User
    I'm really poking now....

Is it discoverable?

Network icon showing but clicking does nothing [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jun 5, 2017
  7. Hi,

Yes, it is discoverable. I have set that in both places required, as you showed above, and on the "Change connection properties" page (If I don't set that one the network shows up as public).

I have also just uninstalled and reinstalled the LAN drivers. Doesn't fix the problem.

I also have "discovered" (excuse the pun), that I cannot turn off airplane mode (don't know if that's related. I have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth disabled - by choice).

LAN and internet access are working fine. I can even connect using my VPN with either L2TP/IPSec or OpenVPN. I just can't get the list of available networks from the sys tray icon or the Ethernet/status page.

8. f14tomcat Win User

I'm stumped. I'll see if someone else can take a look.....

f14tomcat, Jun 5, 2017
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    Ok, I'll state the obvious *Smile
    Have you tried to re-enable WiFi, then see if you can turn Air Plane Mode off, to see if the list of networks show up.

Eagle51, Jun 5, 2017
  10. No, there are no wi-fi drivers installed. Nor are the bluetooth drivers installed. I don't use either.

I can certainly test the Airplane mode issue by installing the drivers. However, as I said in the original post, I've done clean installs of Windows 10 over a dozen times now and neither of these issues were present in any of the previous installations, and those same drivers were not installed in any of the previous installations. If installing those drivers solves the issues that will be most annoying as I don't want/need/use them and it won't tell me the real cause of the problem since, no previous installation without the drivers exhibited these issues.

I don't really have the time, but I think I'm going to end up doing another clean install and testing each function after every single change to try and isolate the cause.

Wobitancrawfodi, Jun 6, 2017
  11. Sorry for the delay in responding.

The Airplane mode being forced on and not able to be disabled and the inability to access the network status of any network type from any entry point are all caused by the same issue.

In my attempts to get W10 down to a sane level of background activity, and since I don't want or need Wif-Fi or Bluetooth I had also disabled the Radio Management service.

This causes all of the above problems. Seems like an over reach by Mcirosoft, but I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same situation as the Tile Model Data Server - Disabling that adds an extra 20 - 25 seconds to the logon.

Problem resolved.

Wobitancrawfodi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network icon showing but clicking does nothing - Similar Threads - Network icon showing

2. Clicking search does nothing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clicking search does nothing: When I click on the search box beside start menu it does not do anything at all. It happens suddenly since it is working last week. It is the first time I turn on the computer this week and I noticed that the search box is not working. I check if there is any pending updates...
  3. Clicking search does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking search does nothing: When I click on the search box beside start menu it does not do anything at all. It happens suddenly since it is working last week. It is the first time I turn on the computer this week and I noticed that the search box is not working. I check if there is any pending updates...
  4. Clicking search does nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Clicking a Notification Does Nothing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clicking a Notification Does Nothing: Both clicking the notification pop-up and clicking the notification in the Action Centre does nothing. I have Windows 10 Home version 10.0.19041. After Googling I found multiple suggestions ranging from elaborate fixes by messing with the registry or completely reinstalling...
  6. Clicking on Network Icon on system tray does nothing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clicking on Network Icon on system tray does nothing: Hi there, I've installed a few new updates recently and ever since yesterday, when I click on the Network icon, a grey box appears with the loading wheel and then disappears. [ATTACH] However, if I go into the lock screen Win+L I can still access the list from there?...
  7. clicking on audio/volume icon does nothing after you restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    clicking on audio/volume icon does nothing after you restart: clicking on audio/volume icon does nothing after you restart this is temporarily fixed by restarting 'windows explorer' happened on old laptop also, now happens on new laptop (i hate computer, it's 2020...) how to permanently fix? 156547
  8. Left Click on Speaker Icon in tray does NOTHING! Oct Update!!!!!!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Left Click on Speaker Icon in tray does NOTHING! Oct Update!!!!!!!!: When I left Click on Speaker Icon in tray it does NOTHING! This is due to Oct Update. I now have to type "Audio" in search. WHY? Non Sequitur to helping! I use HDMI to watch TV from online. Close to 50% of my time I am there and then need to change it again. _Three...
  9. Left Click on Start Does Nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Left Click on Start Does Nothing: Windows 10 was working, then I used CCleaner to delete temporary files. Now, when I left click on Start, there is a momentary blue circle over Start indicating that the machine is busy performing a task, but nothing else happens. Right clicking on start brings up a menu of...
  10. Touch Keyboard icon (in taskbar) when clicked on does nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Touch Keyboard icon (in taskbar) when clicked on does nothing: I am able to display the Touch Keyboard icon in the taskbar but when I click on the Touch Keyboard icon nothing happens (the Touch Keyboard does not pop up). It used to work in Windows 8.1 but when I upgraded to Win 10 it no longer displays. I'm not talking about the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clicking network icon does nothing

2. Nothing happens when I click wifi icon Windows 10

3. Network icon showing but clicking does nothing

4. clicking on network icon in taskbar does nothing