Windows 10: Network Location Change

Discus and support Network Location Change in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone I have tried EVERY thread on here to change network location from public to home on Windows 10. NOTHING has worked so far, Most of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by demonmikeb, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Network Location Change

Hello everyone
    I have tried EVERY thread on here to change network location from public to home on Windows 10.
    NOTHING has worked so far,
    Most of the threads are for old builds.

How the hell do you change Network Location from public to private in Windows 10?

Have tried regedit, powershell etc.

HELP!

:)

demonmikeb, Aug 13, 2015
  2. Joythar K Win User

network location changed

Hi Philip,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I’ll be glad to assist you. Appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

So as per description, are you facing issues connecting to the internet or is the concern specific to network type?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help.

Joythar K, Aug 13, 2015
  3. D Philp Win User
    network location changed

thk you Joythar K for showing how to switch network location from public to private.useful knowledge to hold onto.Will let you know if it was successful when I attempt to do it in the near future. I am hoping though that you can answer or help me understand
    why it was that windows 10 identifies this as a public network (coffee shop,airport) where they say its not safe to do banking on a public network. Is it because there are other computers out there piggy-backing that can see my work. And if I manually switch
    it back to private network , will that mean that I am trusting other strangers that I don't want to trust.. My ISP is Time Warner Cable and I remember them mentioning that they are using their subscribers modems as hotspots. Fairly new at this game but would
    really appreciate any clarification you or anyone else can provide. Thank You

D Philp, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Network Location Change

Brink, Aug 13, 2015
  5. Hi Brink.

Thanks for replying to my post.
    I have tried the first 2 options. Option 1 is not available as Discover Devices is not available where it should be - just have the "metered" option available with the wording "you are not currently connected to any networks" showing in network and sharing window although IE and Chrome work fine.
    Regedit values are all correct.
    3rd option is not accessible at all.

Any ideas? It may be a McAfee issue but I cannot find anything hanging there either!
    It's not a major issue as I can still access everything I need but it is EXTREMELY annoying! (and I don't like being beaten by my own computer!)!

Thanks again,

Mike.

demonmikeb, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  7. Nope!!!! That didn't work either!
    I am completely stumped!

demonmikeb, Aug 14, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Network Location Change

In that case, you might see if deleting the network connection and setting it up again may help.

Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  9. hawkman Win User
    You could set up a Homegroup,
    believe the system default then has to be Private.

Roy

hawkman, Aug 14, 2015
  10. Tried that too and still to no avail!! *Sad

demonmikeb, Aug 16, 2015
  11. Thanks Roy
    Unfortunately the bloody thing won't let me do anything Homegroup-wise as I just get the message you need to set Network Location to private!! Tearing my hair out here!! - Been going on for days!

demonmikeb, Aug 16, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 16, 2015
  13. trembuzz Win User

Network Location Change

Did you get this fixed yet?

trembuzz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Network Location Change

1. Network Location Change - Similar Threads - Network Location Change

2. Changing folder location to a network drive on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing folder location to a network drive on Windows 11: We have a non-networked computer that I'm trying to redirect the Documents and Downloads folder to a network folder. The first time I changed the location it asked me for network credentials to connect. The credentials I put in were wrong and it didn't let me change them....
  3. network locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network locations: I have ask this once before and got no where and yet again another item of microsofts thats does not work at all what so ever but somehow windows networking does work, somehow. i open network icon on desktop i see computers i double click on a computer i am prompted with...
  4. network locations

network locations: I have ask this once before and got no where and yet again another item of microsofts thats does not work at all what so ever but somehow windows networking does work, somehow. i open network icon on desktop i see computers i double click on a computer i am prompted with...
  5. Change default save location to a network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default save location to a network drive: I know how to change the default save location in settings, but it only gives me options for the C/D drive and usb drives. I would like to change the default location to our network drive, where all files are saved. Is there any way to do this? submitted by /u/rellogic...
  6. Network Locations

Network Locations: Just recently I have been noticing that sometimes, the "Network Location" in This PC, which is located underneath your "Devices and Drives" drop down tab contains network location(s) at times and would then disappear after a time. I just then today, went into the Network tab...
  7. Network location?

Network location?: What is this ? Will it harm? [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-location/7c038228-3a87-4f6e-a38b-9e21f1888829
  8. change the icons to folders located on a network hdd (readyshare)

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the icons to folders located on a network hdd (readyshare): is it possible to change the icons on network folders? i have a usb external hdd connected to my router via usb 3.0 (Readyshare) i want to use custom icons for the folders for it is that possible ? when i had it plugged directly to my windows 7 pc i had customized all the...
  9. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  10. Windows will not stop changing my network location to Public

Windows will not stop changing my network location to Public: I have been fighting this problem ever since Windows 7. Every time I try to access my computer from another device on my network, I find I am unable to connect. I go into the Ethernet settings, and see that Make This PC Discoverable is turned off. If I switch it on, go back,...