Windows 10: Network Locations/Media Devices

Discus and support Network Locations/Media Devices in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem, one which I cannot seem to solve. I have several shared folders and media streaming enabled on my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wh0pper28, Jul 17, 2016.

1. wh0pper28 Win User

Network Locations/Media Devices

Hello everyone,

I have encountered a problem, one which I cannot seem to solve. I have several shared folders and media streaming enabled on my PC which originally displayed under 'This PC' as a Network Location, however now it is not displayed there at all and the only place it is shown is under 'Network' where is it listed as a Media Device, I have played around with a bunch of settings from the shared folders themselves to the media streaming service to no avail. Could someone please enlighten me with an explanation as to why this is happening as well as how I can resolve it.

Thanks in advance!

:)

wh0pper28, Jul 17, 2016
  2. EPSteve Win User

Windows 10: Network Devices (NAS & Laptop) show up as Media Devices

A laptop on my network which showed up as a Network Location in Windows 7, now shows up as a Media Device.

The same is true of a NAS device. How do I make them Network Locations?

EPSteve, Jul 17, 2016
  3. Network Locations, Music Library, and Windows Media Player

My assumption above appears to be part of the problem -- the DFS (Distributed File System) share did seem to be the issue.

Normally, I use a pathname for DFS shares of \\domainname\share. I've never known that to be a problem for anything. Apparently, Windows Media Player (and again, this is new in Windows 10), chokes on that. If I instead use \\servername\share it seems to
    work.

So at least for now, it looks like this may be the solution, but I'm still experimenting. I also view this as a poor solution. The whole point of DFS is that either server can fail or be taken down for maintenance and clients should just automatically redirect
    themselves to the other. That's why you use \\domainname and NOT \\servername to connect. And again this works for everything else, as far as I know, and worked for Windows Media Player in Windows 7 and 8.

But for some reason, Microsoft seems to have done something different with WMP in Windows 10 that broke this. Any ideas, suggestions, or disagreements?

Thanks,

Colin

GraniteStateColin, Jul 17, 2016
  4. Network Locations/Media Devices

Not sure how this might have happened Right Click any where in This PC.. choose add a network location.
    In the Type the location of the item L: \\Name of the shared device you want to open.
    Then name the shortcut. Double click the shortcut it will take you to the device. I did this 3 or four times then the computers started showing up.

manish9009, Jul 19, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    DLNA media devices should show up under Devices and Printers. As for network shares. Unless you have mapped them, they will not show up.

bro67, Jul 19, 2016
  6. PC shows up as Media Device, not PC on my work Network

Christine H, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Network Locations/Media Devices

1. Network Locations/Media Devices - Similar Threads - Network Locations Media

2. Undetected Network Streaming Media Device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undetected Network Streaming Media Device: I just upgraded from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home. Now my computer doesn't detect my streaming media device which was working fine under Windows 7. It's the HDHomeRun Duo TV Tuner. When I enter its URL in my browser, the browser displays its information so I know that...
  3. network locations

network locations: I have ask this once before and got no where and yet again another item of microsofts thats does not work at all what so ever but somehow windows networking does work, somehow. i open network icon on desktop i see computers i double click on a computer i am prompted with...
  4. Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.: Windows 10 Home 2004 version I am trying to set up file sharing between my computers on the same router. After going through every step in all documents on the subject numerous times, the best I can do on one computer is see very limited folders, no documents no pictures....
  5. Network Drive opens as Media Device only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Drive opens as Media Device only: *I'm sure this is an answered question. a link will suffice. thanks. I'm banging my head on the desk to some degree; I have followed all of the official steps to share a drive on the network (sans 'home group'), PC#1 shares a drive, and PC#2 can see it, and open it. But only...
  6. Network drives are showing as Media Devices

Network drives are showing as Media Devices: I just made a new install of Windows 10 and at first the other networked drives on my home server where showing correctly but now they appear in the Network screen as Media Devices. I'm not sure when it happened but I did reboot to change security settings, could this do...
  7. Network Locations

Network Locations: Just recently I have been noticing that sometimes, the "Network Location" in This PC, which is located underneath your "Devices and Drives" drop down tab contains network location(s) at times and would then disappear after a time. I just then today, went into the Network tab...
  8. Network location?

Network location?: What is this ? Will it harm? [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-location/7c038228-3a87-4f6e-a38b-9e21f1888829
  9. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Computer appears on network only as Media Device: I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers only the desktop...
  10. network changed to media device

network changed to media device: Hi, I have 2 computers on a workgroup network. I don't use Home network. This was working right before. Now, the second computer shows up as a media device on the first computer. Media Steaming is off. The network page says computer1 and Media Devices says...