Windows 10: Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Discus and support Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stonecherub, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi.

R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer files to it except with sneakernet.

I looked at the network structure on each computer using "Control Panel devices and printers" as well as File mgr - Network.

D- devices: D and E listed as media devices, no computers, D does not see R.
    D- Network: D and E listed as media devices. Dbl click either brings up Media Player.

E- devices: D and R listed as media devices.
    E- Network: D and E listed as computers and D again as a media device.

R- devices: D and E show up as media devices.
    R- Network: R as a computer and D as a media device.

The new laptop R is a ghost, sometimes seen but mostly not and doesn't participate.

Using Team Viewer 12
    D and E connect, test file transfers OK.
    D and R connect, I can see partial R desktop (shows links but not folders), R sees D file structure, files will not transfer.

Don't know if this matters - I ran the Network troubleshooter on all three computers - "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings", on any of them.

I'm a geologist at wits end.

:)

stonecherub, Jun 12, 2018

2. Windows 10 Media Player sends wrong listing to network computers and devices

I have Windows 10 running on a home server that has been used for over a year mostly for backups and non-media file sharing. It works fine. I recently tried to use it as a media file sharing server and have run into a problem. I now have several videos
    and songs in the video and music sections of the library, respectively. The music side works fine (i.e., Media player displays the songs that are there, and none that are not, both locally and over the network) The video side seems to be OK when you look
    at it in Media Player on the server itself. If you look at the server's video listing from another computer or device on the network, you see an old list that contains at least one file that is no longer even on the computer, and is missing several video
    files that are visible in Media Player on the server. Everything is in the correct folders, etc., and I have tried deleting and refreshing the Media Player database files several times, with no change in the outcome. I have searched the Internet for a solution
    to no avail. There must be a cache or something that is not obvious, that I cannot clear. Any help would be appreciated

MikeSchnierle, Jun 13, 2018
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Jun 13, 2018
Thema:

Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

1. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again! - Similar Threads - Network notwork computers

2. Network / Notwork Help please.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network / Notwork Help please.: I have 3 PC's at home - one is my server and has about 50TB, the other 2 are my wife's and my PC's. They all use W10 Pro - 20H2. They used to network happily under Windows Home server, then home group and now having allowed W10 automatic updates for a while, I officially...
  3. Windows doesnt list network computers and NAS devices

Windows doesnt list network computers and NAS devices: Hello, I've been struggling with this problem quite some time now (more than one year). Windows 10 Pro 1903 In my Windows "Network Places", I don't see any other computer than my own and router. It is a home network so it is a private network. Sharing is enabled. I did...
  4. Unknown device in network listing

Unknown device in network listing: I noticed a device that I did not recognize in my file explorer Desktop/Network The device named TB-EGARNER (my computer is Simone) Is this familiar to anyone and should I be concerned? [IMG]...
  5. After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices"

After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices": After the last 2 Windows 10 updates my network computers are only listed on the network as "media devices". How do I correct this? thanks, Denis...
  6. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Computer appears on network only as Media Device: I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers only the desktop...
  7. Networking Notworking .. Again

Networking Notworking .. Again: I am really tired of Win 10 networking falling apart. I have an incredibly simple setup yet for some reason about every six months it just totally fails. I have three PC's. A B C. They could all see each other and all transfer files. I installed Windows 10 Pro on two of...
  8. network changed to media device

network changed to media device: Hi, I have 2 computers on a workgroup network. I don't use Home network. This was working right before. Now, the second computer shows up as a media device on the first computer. Media Steaming is off. The network page says computer1 and Media Devices says...
  9. Computer not listed on 'network'

Computer not listed on 'network': Hi Everyone I'm fairly new to windows 10 - so forgive me if the following has been asked a thousand times before.*Redface I have have three computers which are networked (1x 64 bit windows 10 Pro- 1x32 bit windows 10 Home Premium + 1x 32bit windows 7 Home Premium.) The...
  10. Network Locations/Media Devices

Network Locations/Media Devices: Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem, one which I cannot seem to solve. I have several shared folders and media streaming enabled on my PC which originally displayed under 'This PC' as a Network Location, however now it is not displayed there at all and the only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network workgroup help computers see each other windows 10 wont share cant