Windows 10: Network PC setup to share drives but needs credentials

Discus and support Network PC setup to share drives but needs credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a peer to peer network setup. On one of the PC's I have shared the drive but when other users try to access the drive it asks for credentials? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by fionab, Dec 28, 2017.

1. fionab Win User

Network PC setup to share drives but needs credentials

I have a peer to peer network setup. On one of the PC's I have shared the drive but when other users try to access the drive it asks for credentials? I have changed the settings in the sharing tab but still not allowing others to access

:)

fionab, Dec 28, 2017

2. Mapping network drives in HomeGroup. Is it supported?

Dear Community,

I recently upgraded three PCs to Windows 10 and created a HomeGroup for replacing a previous workgroup scheme (one PC was Windows Vista). The requirement is to share folders on one PC, so that the two other PCs can access the folder using network drive mapping
    (the drive letter needs to be D: on the two other PCs).

The shares were done normally by HomeGroup sharing procedures but the mapping required me to manually select Map network drive and the enter \\pcName\shareName as I could not find any relevant option browsing the HomeGroup. Reconnected at logon was selected.
    All PCs use the same user credentials.

Now to the issue. Sometimes when a PC with the mapped network drives is logged in, the network drives are unavailable but the folders are available via HomeGroup. The original requirement needs the drive letter assignments for things to work.

Is mapping network drives supported by HomeGroup or should the old workgroup scheme by used instead?

Pekka Leppaluoto, Dec 28, 2017
  3. Jackman33 Win User
    Credentials

All at once I keep seeing a popup headed "Windows Security" when I try to share with another PC on the network. When I try to share, the popup comes up Enter network credentials, Enter your credentials to connect to: PC A and asks for a user name and
    a password. What user name and what password, I have never setup any credential. I want to completely eliminate this as I have no use for it. I have searched all over and all I see is lengthy notes but no answer.

Jackman33, Dec 28, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

You say shared a drive what drive? If you share c you will all sorts of problems as a lot of folders are blocked even when local. You can create a share for everyone but then NTFS permissions will kick in and if they are owned by someone else you won't get in you will have to set the NTFS permissions

Samuria, Dec 28, 2017
  5. fionab Win User
    a separate media drive d:\

fionab, Dec 28, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey fionab,
    Did you grant Everyone full control to the Share Permissions and NTFS Permissions ?

Eagle51, Dec 28, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    By default the folders created on d will be owned by the user who created them. If you connect and you have an account on the PC with same name and password Windows will pass it by default so no password needed

Samuria, Dec 28, 2017
  8. fionab Win User

Hi there, How do you setup NTFS permissions? The PC with the share drive D:\ does not have a password currently.

fionab, Jan 2, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Strictly speaking, The PC with the shared drive does have a local account with a password - it's just that the password is blank.

To gain access to files on that share you need to connect with the same username and password (none, in this case) as the local account on the PC that owns the folders/files in the shared drive, share permissions granted to Everyone is not sufficient. You can grant file/folder access to other accounts (or Everyone) by changing the local ntfs permissions.

*Arrow Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10

Bree, Jan 2, 2018
  10. fionab Win User
    Great adding a password solved the issue

fionab, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network PC setup to share drives but needs credentials - Similar Threads - Network setup share

2. File Share on networked PC asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Share on networked PC asks for credentials: I can access shared folders from Windows 10, but it requires credentials. I have password protection turned off, so I don't know why it's asking for this. I entered credentials that I happen to remember, and I'm able to sign in. Where are these credentials, and why is it...
  3. File Share on networked PC asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Share on networked PC asks for credentials: I can access shared folders from Windows 10, but it requires credentials. I have password protection turned off, so I don't know why it's asking for this. I entered credentials that I happen to remember, and I'm able to sign in. Where are these credentials, and why is it...
  4. File Share on networked PC asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Never setup Network Credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Never setup Network Credentials: I have never setup anything to do with network credentials but my windows program keeps asking me for it. And I cannot use my software downloaded because of this....
  6. Never setup Network Credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Never setup Network Credentials: I have never setup anything to do with network credentials but my windows program keeps asking me for it. And I cannot use my software downloaded because of this....
  7. Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network share folders or mapping to drive - user credentials: Hi, I'm trying to understand how Win10 works with credentials for accessing shared folders. In my case I have a NAS which has a few shared folders. There are two way I can access them, one via network share (i.e. \\mynas\folder1, \\mynas\folder2) or as a network drive (i.e....
  8. Network sharing asking for network credentials

Network sharing asking for network credentials: I am trying to connect to other pc's on my home network and have turned off password protected sharing. I can see the other computer in file explorer, but when I click on it I am asked for "Network Credentials". I have entered the Microsoft username and password and the...
  9. Network Share - Prompt for credentials

Network Share - Prompt for credentials: Hi, I have recently gotten a Windows 10 machine. In my network I have Windows 8.1 machine with shared folders, and several other Windows 8/7 laptops with access. All those computers (including Xbox One) can see my desktop share computer and folders + access to the content...
  10. Shared Drive Credentials

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared Drive Credentials: I've been experimenting with setting up an old PC (running 10) as a NAS, and I've created a few shared drives with specific ones allowing access to specific users. Most of the shared drives will accept my login info, which is the exact same on my desktop (the client PC). This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to enable credentials when someone tries to access your system drive