Windows 10: Network pcs only show as media devices and can"t access across network

Discus and support Network pcs only show as media devices and can"t access across network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After recently updating 2 PCs on a home network (both plugged into only router..then Charter Spectrum Modem) I can no longer access files and folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by shagadelic45, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Network pcs only show as media devices and can"t access across network

After recently updating 2 PCs on a home network (both plugged into only router..then Charter Spectrum Modem) I can no longer access files and folders from each.

The PCs now see/show each other as "MEDIA DEVICES" and clicking on each opens Windows Media Player......How do i get access to each pc files/folders?

I have checked/unchecked everything that needs to be in "Networking and sharing center"........

thanks in advance

:)

shagadelic45, Jun 23, 2018
  2. Castiel Win User

Advice on network devices

Well, have both PC's on the same network(switch). And hook the printer on one computer, enable it to be shared in the network. And on both PC's enable it to share the hard drives(media) over the network.

Castiel, Jun 24, 2018
  3. Network will not show on the last device.

Hi James,

I suggest you to remove all the networks that are connected to your device and check.

If the issue persist, I suggest you to follow the steps below.

An outdated or incompatible network adapter driver can cause connection problems. If you recently upgraded to
    Windows 10, it's possible that the current driver was designed for a previous version of Windows. Check to see if an updated driver is available.

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select
      Device Manager from the list of results.

• In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.

• Right-click (or press and hold) the network adapter, and then select Update Driver Software >
      Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the steps, then select
      Close.

• After installing the updated driver, select the Start
      Network pcs only show as media devices and can"t access across network [​IMG]
      button >
      Power > Restart if asked to restart, and see if that fixes the connection issue.

If Windows can’t find a new driver for your network adapter, visit the PC manufacturer’s website and download the latest network adapter driver from there. If your PC can't connect to the Internet, you'll need to download a driver on a different PC and save
    it to a USB flash drive, so you can install the driver on your PC. You’ll need to know the PC manufacturer and model name or number.

Rely us with the status to assist you further.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jun 24, 2018
  4. oily_17 Win User

Network pcs only show as media devices and can"t access across network

Home network

Did you try this

Just a stab in the dark really...

oily_17, Jun 24, 2018
Thema:

Network pcs only show as media devices and can"t access across network

1. Network pcs only show as media devices and can"t access across network - Similar Threads - Network pcs show

2. Network PCs not properly displaying devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network PCs not properly displaying devices: I have a home network with the following devices :WIN 10 PCWIN 11 PCNASI see only 1 or 2 of the devices at any time and on an intermittent basis. For example the WIN 11 PC sees only the WIN 10 PC. The WIN 10 PC for the past 2 days sees all devices including itself although 2...
  3. My PCs won't allow access to each other across my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My PCs won't allow access to each other across my network: I’m having real problems with my home network which has been in use for the last 20+ years with few problems but since October last year the PCs refuse to allow access to each other and nothing I’ve tried has remedied the problem, access to the internet is unaffected. I am of...
  4. Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.: Windows 10 Home 2004 version I am trying to set up file sharing between my computers on the same router. After going through every step in all documents on the subject numerous times, the best I can do on one computer is see very limited folders, no documents no pictures....
  5. Network Drive opens as Media Device only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Drive opens as Media Device only: *I'm sure this is an answered question. a link will suffice. thanks. I'm banging my head on the desk to some degree; I have followed all of the official steps to share a drive on the network (sans 'home group'), PC#1 shares a drive, and PC#2 can see it, and open it. But only...
  6. Network drives are showing as Media Devices

Network drives are showing as Media Devices: I just made a new install of Windows 10 and at first the other networked drives on my home server where showing correctly but now they appear in the Network screen as Media Devices. I'm not sure when it happened but I did reboot to change security settings, could this do...
  7. Other PCs on home network only show as media devices

Other PCs on home network only show as media devices: We used to have shares setup between the 4 computers on our home network. After the last update, the PCs only show up and connect as Media Devices. I can no longer access folders and files between computers. How can I fix this?...
  8. Unable To access Others PCs On the Network

Unable To access Others PCs On the Network: Unable to access Pcs on my network , please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/unable-to-access-others-pcs-on-the-network/3944667c-3995-41d0-83a4-e2a009f9b011
  9. network tab only shows media devices and net work Infrastructure

network tab only shows media devices and net work Infrastructure: Hi, The network tab only shows media devices and net work Infrastructure, omits computer. I have laptop and desktop both have latest win10 updates and only one shows computer under network tab. I'm trying to share files between them through wifi network but the laptop...
  10. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Computer appears on network only as Media Device: I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers only the desktop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network only showing media devices

2. windows pc shows as network media player

3. network devices show as media devices

4. Network pcs only show as media devices and cant access across network ,
  5. can only see media devices on network,
  6. network showing pcs as media devices?,
  7. computer shows up as media device,
  8. network computer now shows media player,
  9. network pc appears as media device only,
  10. media device on network,
  11. desktop shows up as media device on home network,