Windows 10: Network property keeps changing between public and private

Discus and support Network property keeps changing between public and private in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is really frustrating with Microsoft. The Network used to be stable and reliable, but it is not anymore. We have several PCs in the house and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 26dipp, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 26dipp Win User

Network property keeps changing between public and private

This is really frustrating with Microsoft.
    The Network used to be stable and reliable, but it is not anymore.
    We have several PCs in the house and some are hardwired and some are on wifi. They used to be accessible on a private network which was set in every PC. For a while the public / private has been changing on a chance basis....
    One day I cannot see the other PCs in the house and have to go back into some crappy Microsoft settings to find where I can change back to private. It will stay for a few days only to then revert on another PC to the stupid public default.

I do not want to use Microsoft's cloud or their account access setting and simply run my network behind the router. Why is this so difficult now while it had been working fine in the past?????

:)

26dipp, Jan 12, 2018

2. Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 not working after 1709 update

have you try to change the property of your network?

from public to private ?

or from private to public

valimocanu, Jan 12, 2018
  3. windows 10, network showing public

Hello.

You can switch from public to private on your network connection by going to:

Start > Network & Internet > Change connection properties

From there change from public to private.

Hope that helps!

MikeSnyder61704, Jan 12, 2018
  4. AndreTen Win User

Try with Group policy editor (Start, type gpedit and hit Enter)

Set properties for key
    shown in picture below. There should also be a way to do this in registry.

Network property keeps changing between public and private [​IMG]

AndreTen, Jan 12, 2018
  5. 26dipp Win User
    Thanks,
    I went through the steps.
    I will report back on how long we keep the private network setting.

26dipp, Jan 12, 2018
  6. 26dipp Win User
    And Windows 10 is back to public settings despite this being o.k. for almost an entire week.
    The look of the Group policy editor has changed. I don't know whether windows 10 / bloody Microsoft have sneeked in some kind of update......

This is probably the next thing to disable from "automatic" although this is much more akward nowthan in W7. I wished I had not updated.

26dipp, Jan 19, 2018
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Can you check in event viewer, or Reliability history, which update changed it?

And how is your network set-up? Microsoft did make some changes and is dropping "Homegroup" or whatever that group setting was. Also some older, insecure protocols are not enabled by default (SMBv1), but normally you don't need them.

Maybe your router is changing something?

Btw, I still have that key in Group policy, although some tabs in key properties are gone.

AndreTen, Jan 19, 2018
  8. 26dipp Win User

I had a look in event viewer, but I have never opened this and it is just a huge amount of data in there.

The Local Security network settings are on private for all networks. I do not know why windows still ignores this.
    I changed back to private now - not sure how long for though - via the homegroup troubleshooter. It is telling me IPv6 needs to be activate, BUT it is.

26dipp, Jan 19, 2018
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Lets try this other way. Something is messing with your home network - and to check this out, try to set your network manually.

Instead of DHCP assign static local IP. Open Network and Sharing in Control panel and click on Adapter properties.
    in IPv4 properties set values outside your router DHCP range.

I don't know your skills, so post back if you need instructions.

tutorials | find-ip-address-windows-10-pc

howtogeek | how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7

AndreTen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network property keeps changing between public and private - Similar Threads - Network property keeps

2. Public or Private Changing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private Changing: Going nuts again! My puters that are ok with what is told on the net is correct. But, one is not, I click on properties when I bring up connections, does not bring a way to change the profile. 2004 must have changed something again. This is WFi which should mean nothing. If...
  3. Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public

Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public: Windows 10 Professional on numerous computers at different locations has been changing on its own to a Public Network Connection. This causes issues with network shares, etc. I change them back to Private then 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, no way to know, and they change back...
  4. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  5. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  6. How to change public network to private

How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  7. How to change public network to private

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  8. Can't split networks between Public and Private

Can't split networks between Public and Private: New Win10 Pro install from scratch on a laptop with both a wi-fi and wired ethernet connections. The wi-fi connects to a router on 192.168.253.x, and that router connects to the Internet. The IP is delivered by the DHCP server based on the MAC address. The wired...
  9. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  10. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023