Windows 10: network setting

Discus and support network setting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Which is the preferred setting for windows 10 network.....public or private? 98224 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Plankton, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Plankton Win User

network setting

Which is the preferred setting for windows 10 network.....public or private?

:)

Plankton, Nov 16, 2017
  2. CJLim Win User

Network Setting

The best depends on your usage the coverage in your area.

UMTS is effectively 3g and it allows higher speed data which is th best if you use your phone a lot for data and internet or video calling. However, the price you pay is probably poorer battery life because this setting usually results in higher power consumption.
    If you maily use your phone for voice and sms only then GSM is probablt the better choice.

Leaving your phone in Dual mode means the phone will try to connect to UMTS whenever available but will also connect to GSM when not.

CJLim, Nov 16, 2017
  3. Network Setting

Can someone tell me what the best network is to have your Nokia 6790 set to? There are 3 settings; Dual mode, UMTS, and GSM. Is there a difference and which is best?

motherof4---01, Nov 16, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

network setting

Well, that would pretty much depend upon if you were attached to a public or private network. At home, behind your router's firewall, the private network setting allows you to share files and folders and allows other computers on the same private network to see each other.

If you are in a library or hotel or McDonald's, then you want the public setting to keep other computers on that public network from seeing your computer.

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    Thank you. So my next question; why is the default setting on a clean install set to Public?

Plankton, Nov 16, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Because that is the more restrictive setting. Let's say they made Private the default setting. You go to the library or McDonald's and connect to their WiFi - if private was the default setting your computer would be exposed to the public network until you changed it to Public.

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Private at home. Public without some extra restrictions can leak some info out. Use a VPN while traveling or on local public hotspots.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

network setting

1. network setting - Similar Threads - network setting

2. Clicking wifi icon on taskbar opens network status settings page instead of available networks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking wifi icon on taskbar opens network status settings page instead of available networks: Hi, this is happening on a Dell Precision 3520 running windows 10 Pro. It is very annoying having to go to settings page network status every time I click on the Wi-fi icon on taskbar, and then having to click on "Available Networks" to actually see them. It is unpractical,...
  3. Clicking wifi icon on taskbar opens network status settings page instead of available networks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clicking wifi icon on taskbar opens network status settings page instead of available networks: Hi, this is happening on a Dell Precision 3520 running windows 10 Pro. It is very annoying having to go to settings page network status every time I click on the Wi-fi icon on taskbar, and then having to click on "Available Networks" to actually see them. It is unpractical,...
  4. Clicking wifi icon on taskbar opens network status settings page instead of available networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. windows 11 pro search/gpedit.msc/settings > network/gaming/apps// windows app store. all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 pro search/gpedit.msc/settings > network/gaming/apps// windows app store. all...: First off, who's bright idea was to make all these function reliant and integrated into xbox game bar? I followed your windows answer instruction to remove it fyi.second yes I should have made a system back up, I haven't used a pc in earnest in at least decade. reminder fully...
  6. windows 11 pro search/gpedit.msc/settings > network/gaming/apps// windows app store. all...

windows 11 pro search/gpedit.msc/settings > network/gaming/apps// windows app store. all...: First off, who's bright idea was to make all these function reliant and integrated into xbox game bar? I followed your windows answer instruction to remove it fyi.second yes I should have made a system back up, I haven't used a pc in earnest in at least decade. reminder fully...
  7. Windows 10 laptop won't show WiFi networks, Network & Internet settings app crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 laptop won't show WiFi networks, Network & Internet settings app crashes: Currently trying to use my laptop on a new network for the first time in a long time, and after never having issues with connecting to WiFi at home, it's unable to find the WiFi at my workplace because the box of networks just won't load, the five loading dots just spin...
  8. Windows 10 laptop won't show WiFi networks, Network & Internet settings app crashes

Windows 10 laptop won't show WiFi networks, Network & Internet settings app crashes: Currently trying to use my laptop on a new network for the first time in a long time, and after never having issues with connecting to WiFi at home, it's unable to find the WiFi at my workplace because the box of networks just won't load, the five loading dots just spin...
  9. Windows 10 laptop won't show WiFi networks, Network & Internet settings app crashes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Why does the Ethernet section in Settings, Network & Internet in Windows 10 move to the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does the Ethernet section in Settings, Network & Internet in Windows 10 move to the...: Also, I was wondering why the system adds "Local Area Connectors 9 and 10," when I basically don't use the wi-fi connections from the desktop, just for the phone and camera. I've copied the Hardware & Connection Properties: Name: Wi-Fi Description: Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac...