Windows 10: Network settings and connections empty

Discus and support Network settings and connections empty in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, My grandpa accidentally upgraded to windows 10. And since then I have unable to connect the PC to the network. - Net work connections is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by renkun, May 31, 2016.

1. renkun Win User

Network settings and connections empty

Hello,

My grandpa accidentally upgraded to windows 10. And since then I have unable to connect the PC to the network.

- Net work connections is empty
    - ipconfig is empty
    - No lights lit at the back of the PC when connecting it to the router with a Ethernet cable.
    - tethering is not working

What should I do now?

Many Thanks.

:)

renkun, May 31, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Network connections empty

I had this issue after upgrading to win10pro from win8.1pro on a Lenovo yoga 2 13" the issue seems to be wide spread and has been mentioned on a few threads (see related threads). I have now successfully managed to get my wifi card working and hopefully
    one of the solutions below will help:

solution 1(easiest):
    switch off your device

This is the easiest and simplest option and does not need rolling back to win8.1 after painstaking hours I realised this was all I needed to do. NOTE* this is
    not a restart! what you need to do is properly shut down the machine either through start>power>shutdown or power button on your device. leave the device
    off for at least 1 minute. At restart one of three outcomes will be the case... 1. wifi works and you're immediately able to use the network (congradulations) 2. wifi works however you cannot join your home network and 3. wifi is still not
    present.

if outcome 2. is the case, your wifi card (in my case the realtek RTL8723BE)
    should
    now appear in the device manager and all you need to do is update your driver to the latest windows10 drivers from Lenovo (if not the latest 8.1 driver) and restart. (hopefully you now have wifi).

solution 2: roll back to windows 8.1 and remove interfering software

the most apparent culprit is Cisco VPN software/drivers these seem not to be compatible with windows 10 and after upgrade are affecting network connectivity. solutions on how to remove these are in the following thread:

Windows did not detect any networking hardware after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1

on my system I had cisco peap, fast and eap modules that I uninstalled just incase

reinstall win10 and after the install make sure that at some point BEFORE accessing the internet you switch off the device for at least 1 min. a simple restart during which power is still going the cpu will not surfice.

good luck

to open device manager right click the start button and select device manager. your wifi hardware should be under network adaptors

to 'roll back' to windows 8.1 start>settings>update and security>recovery>go back to windows 8.1

related threads:

Network function down after Windows 10 upgrade

No WiFi after upgrading to Windows 10

Windows 10 - Network connections empty

Downloaded windows 10 and now have no internet

no wifi option

PRINCE AUDIT, May 31, 2016
  3. Max88_813 Win User
    Windows 10 - Network connections empty

Hi, I had the same issue, and I have solved it.

If you have installed any VPN software like a Cisco AnyConnect, VPN Client etc. The first step is: before your upgrade to Win 10, uninstall all this VPNs and after that start upgrade to Win 10.

I hope that will help you, like had helped me.

Max88_813, May 31, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Have a look at the device manager (right click on Start button) and see if there are any network devices that need attention.

philc43, May 31, 2016
  5. renkun Win User
    Device manager is fine, no yellow signs.

renkun, May 31, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Do you get any clue from running the troubleshoot problems diagnostic?

Network settings and connections empty [​IMG]

philc43, May 31, 2016
  7. renkun Win User
    Hello, Here are the responses when i tried troubleshooting. And another with me trying to install a lan driver.

Upon opening the box the motherboard is a Z77 Pro-4 M.

renkun, May 31, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

It might be worth going into the BIOS and checking that the onboard LAN is enabled.

philc43, May 31, 2016
  9. renkun Win User
    Hello!

Wow i don't know how but the lan bios setting was set at disable. Thanks for that.

My next issue is that it now wont access with network. I've tried with a LAN and WLAN situation. Just has the exclamation mark in the system tray icon.

Iponfig and such are still empty.

Next course of action?

renkun, May 31, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    My guess is that now that you have enabled the LAN, W10 will then install the drivers. You may need to check that the latest W10 drivers are installed for your motherboard via the manufacturer's website but you should be good to go now or at least after one more restart.

philc43, May 31, 2016
  11. renkun Win User
    Well it would be fine if i would get internet access. The system tray network button has a yellow sign on it. Though for some reason it says "Network access" but i can't access the internet anyway. I've done a few restarts already

renkun, May 31, 2016
  12. robgr Win User
    Try uninstalling the adapter via the device manager and let Windows install the drivers
    If this still doesn't get you connected try and update with the vendor's drivers instead

robgr, May 31, 2016
  13. renkun Win User

But.. how do i download the update via W10 if i uninstall the network adapter driver?

Also I have already tried vendor drivers...

renkun, Jun 1, 2016
  14. robgr Win User
    When you uninstall the adapter click the 'Scan for hardware changes' button and Windows will automatically install the driver from files already stored on the PC
    Check that Windows has assigned the driver you expect as Windows can stick with the original driver (often the Win driver)
    If it's different then you will need to manually install driver and select 'pick from a list of device drivers', chose the required vendor driver

robgr, Jun 1, 2016
  15. renkun Win User
    Hello,

Tried and not working.

I've also tried installing a wireless adapter.

When starting the tray icon is fine, then it has a yellow sign on it after a few seconds. Hovering says it has internet but I can't load any websites or network addresses (Such as my router)

renkun, Jun 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Network settings and connections empty - Similar Threads - Network settings connections

2. New motherboard installed, no network connections. Network and Internet folder is empty.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New motherboard installed, no network connections. Network and Internet folder is empty.: Hello, I've been attempting to troubleshoot my issue for the past few hours using a variety of different methods but I am quite lost at this point. I've just recently built a brand new computer and after installing Windows 10, I was unable to connect to the internet. My...
  3. Network Connections folder empty, no networks shown and system restore will not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Connections folder empty, no networks shown and system restore will not work.: My desktop running Windows 10 would not connect to the internet. No networks were shown and the network connections folder is empty. I have tried several fixes including a Network Reset, Updating the Driver Software on Device Manager, deleting my Network Adapter and...
  4. Windows Network Connections/Network Adapter is Empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Network Connections/Network Adapter is Empty: Hello,I'm using windows 10 and for this past week, I've had a problem with my laptop. It keeps disconnecting and losing any internet connection available. I ran the troubleshoot and it said I have to reset my network settings, so I did that. It worked but after a couple of...
  5. Under Network Connects folder is empty

Under Network Connects folder is empty: ?While trying to reset defaults for a keyboard setting on my Alienware laptop, I was instructed to restart in safe mode. Now it's stuck in safe mode, the network and connections folder is empty and all the suggestions require internet. I can't get out of safe mode! I can't...
  6. Network connection setting

Network connection setting: I got a new router today. When connecting to the network on my laptop, for some reason the laptop was treating the connection as a ethernet connection rather than as wifi. When I was looking into this, I used a troubleshooter to try to fix it and foolishly changed a setting...
  7. "manage known networks" is empty in wifi settings

"manage known networks" is empty in wifi settings: I rarely use wifi but noticed today after connecting that it would not reconnect automatically. I was fine with 1809 but am now on 1903, including yesterday's update. Here are the symptoms and what I have tried: symptoms: can connect to wifi, asks for network password, box...
  8. "manage known networks" is empty in wifi settings

in Windows 10 Support
    "manage known networks" is empty in wifi settings: I rarely use wifi but noticed today after connecting that it would not reconnect automatically. I was fine with 1809 but am now on 1903, including yesterday's update. Here are the symptoms and what I have tried: symptoms: can connect to wifi, asks for network password, box...
  9. Network Connections folder empty 3 different PC's

Network Connections folder empty 3 different PC's: Just picked up my 3rd Windows 10 for no internet complaint. All 3 have empty "Network Connections" folders. 2 laptops, 1 Desktop, different makes. All have Windows 10 before Creators update. Able to do an "Install/Repair (Thanks, Brink) on 2 of them. The other one...
  10. Network Connections folder empty

Network Connections folder empty: HP g6 laptop Had many problems with this laptop. Customer had at least 3 AV programs. Deleted all. (Including 3 Variations of AVG.) Finally got to where I can boot to Desktop, everything looks normal. Except no internet. Network Connections folder is empty. In Device...