Windows 10: Network Settings says No Internet Connection, But...

Discus and support Network Settings says No Internet Connection, But... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; But I'm currently browsing the internet and typing to you. In fact - I can do virtually everything (League; Steam; Skype; etc) except use any OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 3mptylord, Oct 13, 2015.

1. 3mptylord Win User

Network Settings says No Internet Connection, But...

But I'm currently browsing the internet and typing to you.

In fact - I can do virtually everything (League; Steam; Skype; etc) except use any OS feature that requires logging in - e.g. Mail, User Accounts, Shop, etc. Then it says something along the lines of "Cannot use this service without an internet connection - please connect and try again." When I run Network Diagnostics as the prompt recommends - it says I am connected and cannot find a problem.

Network Settings says No Internet Connection, But... [​IMG]

It doesn't always happen - but it seems to be determined on start-up. If I restart it now it might be working next launch - but 75% of the time it will encounter the same issue. It's been happening for months now but I've sort of gotten used to using my phone to check my emails - but I've now encountered an issue with one of my hard drives being unable to be searched (tried indexing, etc) and the only step I've found that I haven't tried says it could be a corrupted user account - but I cannot update my user account without "connecting to the internet". -_-

The system is up to date. No driver updates available.

:)

3mptylord, Oct 13, 2015

2. Wireless connection available but says "No internet, secured"

At the above step 2, I didn't see 'Network drivers'. So I did step 5, "Scan for Hardware changes". After step 5, I still didn't see 'Network drivers' shown up.

Guess I can't install the 'Network drivers'?!

I am using my Ethernet connection now.

YouxiangMao, Oct 13, 2015
  3. josimcox Win User
    Wireless connection available but says "No internet, secured"

Hi this hasn't worked for me at all. I'm in desperate need of being able to connect to wifi for my degree assignment due in this week

any help for a complete novice is welcome

josimcox, Oct 13, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

It could be that something is blocked on the firewall, either in Windows or on the router (modem) settings. Was anything configured here before? Also how many network connections are active (wireless; wired; etc).

Kanata, Oct 13, 2015
  5. 3mptylord Win User
    Windows Firewall is turned off - I'm not aware of any restrictions on the router. My connection is wired - at most there is one other wired device and 5/6 wireless devices, although the number of people home doesn't affect it. There were no issues when I was on Windows 8 and there's no issues on any other device.

3mptylord, Oct 13, 2015
  6. Kanata Win User
    What browser are you using - IE? Firefox?

Kanata, Oct 13, 2015
  7. Kanata Win User
    If you have Internet Explorer installed, the mail may be using settings that are set up there. Open IE and go to the Tools menu then Internet Options then under the Connections tab select 'LAN settings'. In there, unselect 'Automatically detect settings'. It's also possible that Chrome cannot pick up the IE settings properly. There may also be an equivalent setting in Chrome (I don't have Chrome to hand to check).

Kanata, Oct 13, 2015
  8. 3mptylord Win User

I've tried unselecting the option but I didn't fix the issue - nor could I see why it would.

The following things connect to the internet fine:
    • Microsoft Edge (new IE)
    • Chrome
    • Steam's browser and Steam multiplayer games
    • League of Legends launcher, patcher, PVP.net and game client
    • Battle.net
    • Pretty much everything
    What doesn't work:

• Network Center (says I'm not connected)
    • Windows Live Mail (logging in)
    • Outlook (logging in)
    • Notepad 8 (logging in)
    • User Accounts (logging in)
    The issue seems to affect any Microsoft product that tries to connect to Live.

3mptylord, Oct 13, 2015
  9. Kanata Win User
    What are you using as a firewall if not the Windows one? Also try applying the Windows firewall as a test (as crazy as that might sound) and see if mail works. What antivirus program are you using? Make sure you have no viruses on your system and use AntiMalWare Bytes to check for Malware. Also check for proxy settings in the same area you looked in IE. Some malware could have redirected your applications to other sites.

Kanata, Oct 13, 2015
  10. 3mptylord Win User
    The only firewall I'm using is the router's firewall. I don't use a firewall on my PC. The antivirus I'm using is Defender, or whatever Windows 10 calls it (MSI?).

No malware - although I really don't see what it would be achieving if I did. No proxies being used.

3mptylord, Oct 14, 2015
  11. Kanata Win User
    The reason to check for malware is in case your system has been infiltrated and is redirecting some network requests to where they should not be going. It may not be the strongest possibility, but you need to try things to narrow down the issue. You need to install AntiMalWare Bytes to check for malware. Windows Defender will not do it. It deals with viruses.
    As I mentioned, enable the Windows firewall and test mail again. This has solved similar issues in the past.

Kanata, Oct 14, 2015
  12. 3mptylord Win User
    As said - no malware.

Firewall now enabled - no change. System tray/Network Center still says no connectivity and Live services still don't work - everything else continues to work.

3mptylord, Oct 14, 2015
  13. 3mptylord Win User

EDIT: I've discovered that I can fix the issue by disabling/enabling my network card - rather than restarting my whole system. However, doing this did not permanently fix the issue. I restarted my computer to test and when it started up the network connectivity was unavailable - again. Something is causing it to sometimes fail to connect on initial load and it cannot automatically fix the problem.

I would say maybe my network card could be faulty - but it only affects Live connections from Microsoft services, which seems far too specific and something that should have an obvious cause or conflict.

3mptylord, Oct 14, 2015
  14. El Banko Win User
    [LB] I have the same problem with many of same symptoms. Hover over wifi and it says, "Indentifying...Internet access" but my SSID shows connected. With CAT 5 connection it shows connected - but network sharing always shows, 'you are not connected to any network'. It is not your card in my opinion - it is Win 10 network awareness is corrupted somehow. I have been working on this for days without resolution.

For me, EDGE, Cortana, Search window (works for local search but not internet), User accounts and all 'modern' (tiled) apps do not work. Chrome, Firefox, Outlook all work as normal. This proves it is Windows internals that is the problem.

Trying to find MS Win 10 help is difficult or impossible. I have been to many forums, tried many things without resolution. I am about ready to roll back to Win 7 on this laptop. One other option is to do a clean install of Win 10 and lose all my MS Office apps since I no longer have the install disk. Not to mention the long hours required to rebuild/reinstall/import apps., favorites, documents, etc.

I am pretty sure the right person with the right knowledge can fix this in the registry but who is that and where are they? Network Settings says No Internet Connection, But... :)

If you find a resolution please post it here so I can give it a go as well. Thanks and good luck.

El Banko, Oct 19, 2015
  15. lmenke Win User
    I have the same issue. Wondering if anyone has found a resolution.

lmenke, Mar 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Network Settings says No Internet Connection, But... - Similar Threads - Network Settings says

2. Taskbar and network settings interface says no internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar and network settings interface says no internet.: The taskbar and network settings say it doesn't have internet. It does work on browsing and websites but my applications such as the Microsoft Store don't recognize the connection, says ''check your connection and try again''. How could this be fixed?...
  3. Taskbar and network settings interface says no internet.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Taskbar and network settings interface says no internet.: The taskbar and network settings say it doesn't have internet. It does work on browsing and websites but my applications such as the Microsoft Store don't recognize the connection, says ''check your connection and try again''. How could this be fixed?...
  4. I have internet functionality but network settings says I am not connected to a network...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have internet functionality but network settings says I am not connected to a network...: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-internet-functionality-but-network-settings/299b18e2-afba-4440-9a90-38a1055a3b83 This is a link from a thread in 2019 of a software issue that was left unresolved. I have the exact same problem and I have been...
  5. I have internet functionality but network settings says I am not connected to a network...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have internet functionality but network settings says I am not connected to a network...: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-internet-functionality-but-network-settings/299b18e2-afba-4440-9a90-38a1055a3b83 This is a link from a thread in 2019 of a software issue that was left unresolved. I have the exact same problem and I have been...
  6. I have internet functionality but network settings says I am not connected to a network...

7. Able to connect to the internet but network status is saying "not connected"

Able to connect to the internet but network status is saying "not connected": ive tried just about everything i can find online to fix this issue and nothing has made any difference drivers are up to date and the internet is working fine except i cant install a windows update because im "not connected" ive been able to use 3 different networks fine...
  8. Wifi network keeps saying no internet, connected

Wifi network keeps saying no internet, connected: I recently had a second hand computer and had this wifi problem where the network has no internet but connected. Since i needed to keep my programs that were downloaded not from the microsoft store, it seems like the "Reset this PC" function could not keep my personal files....
  9. Laptop apps Settings, Etc say not connected to network or internet but browser connects to...

Laptop apps Settings, Etc say not connected to network or internet but browser connects to...: Asus laptop-Windows 10. Laptop Win 10 built-in apps Settings, Etc say not connected to wifi network or internet. But browser connects to home wifi network and internet, surfs with no problems. Tried many fixes-->>reloaded win 10, reset PC, ran win 10 troubleshooters for...
  10. I have internet functionality but network settings says I am not connected to a network...

I have internet functionality but network settings says I am not connected to a network...: For whatever reason the network settings app says that I am not connected to the internet, however I can use the internet just fine on my computer with programs such as google chrome and steam. I tried running the network troubleshooter but it says that nothing is wrong....