Windows 10: Network Share Inconsistency - Strange

Discus and support Network Share Inconsistency - Strange in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a home workgroup with a cable modem, router, and two computers, call them A and B. A has a network share, which used to be visible on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by seldenm, Aug 27, 2017.

1. seldenm Win User

Network Share Inconsistency - Strange

I have a home workgroup with a cable modem, router, and two computers, call them A and B. A has a network share, which used to be visible on the network to computer B.

A few months ago that stopped working. I checked the network settings on both computers (tcp/ip protocols and other settings) are identical. Computer B can see computer A on the network, but when I click on it to view shares, or try to go directly to the share, I get "windows cannot access \\server\drive." Click Diagnose and get "the remote device or resource won't accept the connection."

What's really strange is, if I open windows explorer on computer A, it also can see itself on the network. But when I double click on computer A in Network, I get the same errors as above! Apparently, computer A cannot even see it's own shares.

I looked carefully and don't see any problems with the security settings.

Any advice on figuring this out would be appreciated!

:)

seldenm, Aug 27, 2017
  2. OzMirage Win User

Network Discovery Error

After the latest update, Network Discovery is not consistent. Only two computers show in the work group for most of the Win 10 computers. However, one computer does show all six computers in the work group. They have identical network discovery and file
    sharing turned on.

This inconsistent behavior prevents mapping network drives.

I've rebooted all affected computers.

No change.

OzMirage, Aug 27, 2017
  3. N80 - keeps telling me my new 1GB Mini SD card is CORRUPT...;-(

This is very strange! The N80 seems pretty inconsistent. It works on two different revision of firmwares on my N80!

Have you try formatting it and see whether it will work?

hytan---01, Aug 27, 2017
  4. RBFII Win User

Seldenm, (Not a Solution, yet)I have had the same strange things happening with my Network starting back around April 2017.
    It has been very frustrating. I have 4 physical PCs on my network. I had then all connected with Workgroup folder shares. This is the same setup I have been using since I learned how to network 2 Windows computers many years ago. This has proved to be very stable until this year. Additionally I had it setup as a mixed OS network with Ubuntu/Linux Mint Virtual Machines with their own assigned network configurations. So basically Windows PCs could see each other and Linux PCs and Linux PCs could see each other and the Windows PCs. Everyone played nice. Then there was the Samba updates. Since Linux did it first, I lost connection to my windows shares from Linux. Next windows update and BINGO now Windows cant see Linux Samba shares or each other about 30% of the time. The Windows/LINUX shares have remained totally broken. The Windows to Windows shares work about 30% of the time and returning from either sleep or hibernation results in total share failure. And I too have the same issue that sometimes ...earlier in the day on the same boot, the networking was working but often at least 1 of the machines fails to see it's own shares as well as others., I have tried all types of refreshes and disabling and re-enabling the network adapters and physically unplugging the Network cable and even cycling the router. Nothing restores the workgroup shares unless I shutdown or reboot. These are all Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates. Note: my Router is a WRT-1900ac and my local FTP server connections to and from all PCs physical and Virtual work flawlessly with use of IP addresses. Strange things though, with NMAP I have been able to catalog my whole network just fine, consistently. All testing done with FIREWALLS OFF and as a side note, Windows HOMEGROUP dorked out about the same time. I will post here if I find a solution. I am surprised nobody has jumped on this besides me.

RBFII, Sep 3, 2017
  5. seldenm Win User
    By accident, I discovered a work-around. On the computer that could not see it's own shares on the network, I enabled TCP/IPv6 and suddenly, the problem went away! Other computers on my network can now see the network shares on the first computer, and it can see its own shares.

I wonder by enabling the v6 protocol fixed the problem?*Smile

seldenm, Sep 3, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Homegroup needs ipv6 to work

Samuria, Sep 3, 2017
  7. seldenm Win User
    v6 was disabled. Learned my lesson!

seldenm, Sep 3, 2017
  8. seldenm Win User

Now this is puzzling. The computer that could not see it's own shares was working after I turned on TCP/IPv6. It worked for a few days, and other computers on the network could see it and it's shares.

But that stopped working!

Now, I can see the computer on the network, plus the names of the shares. But if I try to connect to one of them, I get error code 0x80070035 - network path was not found.

Back to the drawing board. Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be appreciated!

seldenm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network Share Inconsistency - Strange - Similar Threads - Network Share Inconsistency

2. Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions: I apologize for the length, but I think the information may be useful in solving the problem. I am experiencing network file sharing problems. I’ll describe them, then at the end I’ll lay out what I’ve already tried. Any help is appreciated.BACKGROUNDSituation: One desktop...
  3. Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive Sharing Problem with Inconsistent Credentials and Permissions: I apologize for the length, but I think the information may be useful in solving the problem. I am experiencing network file sharing problems. I’ll describe them, then at the end I’ll lay out what I’ve already tried. Any help is appreciated.BACKGROUNDSituation: One desktop...
  4. network inconsistency and connection issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network inconsistency and connection issues: recently my laptop has been bsod'ing with the error code DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION , around this same time it also started having these weird spikes in network throughput. these spikes cause slower download speeds , massive lag spikes, and massive inconvenience. i havent heard...
  5. Strange network share issue

Strange network share issue: Hi all, I've just built a new Windows 10 system which is part of a 3 computer private/wifi LAN (Windows 10 - 64 bit). I had network shares working OK but as of yesterday, one of the computers can no longer access one of the other computers. The 3 computers are a worklaptop,...
  6. Inconsistent networking

Inconsistent networking: 1909 18363.778 (both W10 pcs) Home network connecting via workgroup, Wi-Fi and powerline adapters 3 PCs I have had a thread like this before and after a ton of troubleshooting, for whatever reason, everything started working correctly between the W10 PCs (W7 PC was not in...
  7. Network Drive shared folder inconsistency

Network Drive shared folder inconsistency: Hi MS Community, I'm totally new to Network Drive or any kind of sharing drive world, I have a lot of questions to ask but here I want to be specific. So, some IT guy set up a network drive for my company and there're a crash few weeks ago. After restore from...
  8. Network Adapter Inconsistency Issues

Network Adapter Inconsistency Issues: Dear Community So, recently, despite all other devices being functional, and able to connect to connect to my router perfectly fine, my computer (old win10) rarely ever gets more than a single bar, and often disconnects entirely, saying it's unable to detect any...
  9. Inconsistent network maps

Inconsistent network maps: Hi I have 4 computers connected to my network, through a TG589vac router supplied by Utility Warehouse. The computers names, OS's and connection methods are: TOSHIBA-LAPTOP - Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Wireless DELL-DESKTOP - Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - Cable...
  10. Sharing Networking Strange Episode

Sharing Networking Strange Episode: This is just a report of my truly strange four-hour afternoon that finally resulted in success. Thanks to several people here, a day to two ago, I was finally able to access one computer from the other, so long as network passwords were disabled. I remembered that one step...