Windows 10: Network Share \\PCNAME vs \\PCNAME.local

Discus and support Network Share \\PCNAME vs \\PCNAME.local in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just an observation and I'm not really sure I understand ... What's the difference between \\PCNAME and \\PCNAME.local ... when accessing a network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Eagle51, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Eagle51 Win User

Network Share \\PCNAME vs \\PCNAME.local

Just an observation and I'm not really sure I understand ...

What's the difference between \\PCNAME and \\PCNAME.local ... when accessing a network share ???

I was trying to access a new PC network share by \\PCNAME and kept getting the 0x80070035 error, when it should be prompting me for credentials (see notes). I then accessed it by \\PCNAME.local and it prompted me for credentials which I entered (did not save) and it connected. The share then showed in File Explorer > Network as PCNAME.local ... which it should and I could access it. I then restarted both PC's and the PCNAME.local was NOT showing in File Explorer > Network ... which I expected. I then tried accessing the share by \\PCNAME and it prompted me for credentials, which I entered (saved) and it connected and has been working fine ever since.

Note:
    1. I could see the share and access it by \\IPADDRESS (did not save credentials), so I know that all network share settings were correct (i.e. private,discoverable,share/ntfs permissions,password protected, etc)
    2. IPv6 settings default (i.e. did not disable IPv6 or set prefer IPv4 over IPv6)
    3. SMBv1 NOT Installed
    4. Both PC's running Win10 (1803 - 17134.137)

:)

Eagle51, Jul 1, 2018
  2. cyberzork Win User

Shared Windows 10 PC not showing up in Local Network on the same PC

Network Share \PCNAME vs \PCNAME.local [​IMG]

Network Share \PCNAME vs \PCNAME.local [​IMG]

Since updating to Win 10 build 1607 on all my pc's i can now see all the shared network drives locally in the Network window, and on all my other networked computers. I no longer have to type the\\pcname\x etc . So was some sort of problem
    with the earlier Win 10 builds for me anyways.

cyberzork, Jul 1, 2018
  3. Folder share issue involving network path

I see the same on my shared folders on my PC. Couple others from the one I posted as a pic. It shows PCNAME\shared name for the Network Path.

Under the properties, sharing tab, at the bottom does it say People without a user account and password for this computer can access folders shared with everyone?

Access Denied, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Network Share \\PCNAME vs \\PCNAME.local

Folder share issue involving network path

The location should be like that:

PCNAME\SHARE for any share any where on the PC.

Are you using any other firewall than Windows Firewall?

Access Denied, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

Network Share \\PCNAME vs \\PCNAME.local

1. Network Share \\PCNAME vs \\PCNAME.local - Similar Threads - Network Share PCNAME

2. Every OS recovery having had 1 PCname, while advised from Anti, keep just unchange-PCname...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every OS recovery having had 1 PCname, while advised from Anti, keep just unchange-PCname...: Every OS recovery having had 1 PCname, caught once ,two PCnames existed , and put bitlock on by whom, that is impeded me at Advance-recovery ? How to free this yet ..."meanwhile advised from Anti front by 2013 that, keep just Not-Change-PCname always" getting mc-fw-host...
  3. Every OS recovery having had 1 PCname, while advised from Anti, keep just unchange-PCname...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Every OS recovery having had 1 PCname, while advised from Anti, keep just unchange-PCname...: Every OS recovery having had 1 PCname, caught once ,two PCnames existed , and put bitlock on by whom, that is impeded me at Advance-recovery ? How to free this yet ..."meanwhile advised from Anti front by 2013 that, keep just Not-Change-PCname always" getting mc-fw-host...
  4. Every OS recovery having had 1 PCname, while advised from Anti, keep just unchange-PCname...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Share folder vs Mapping drives: Difference between network shared and mapping a drive ? An explanation would be much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-share-folder-vs-mapping-drives/bf3c629b-63e9-4a45-bff6-db7e656fd84e
  6. You do not have permisson to access \\pcname

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You do not have permisson to access \\pcname: OK I've got two desktops on an ethernet home network. I can access the shared folders on pc1 from pc2. I cannot access the shared folders on pc2 from pc1. I have been struggling with this for days. I've searched the web and the community. I've tried everything. Turning on...
  7. Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials

Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials: This is a very strange annoyance. Whenever I initially try to access the public folder on a networked PC named 'WiRNS' from any other PC, I'm presented with this 'Network Credentials' prompt: [img] Note that it already says in red, "The user name or password is incorrect"...
  8. Message: "Windows cannot access \\pcname\e" How to solve this?

Message: "Windows cannot access \\pcname\e" How to solve this?: Hi. I've got my laptop connected to my desktop PC with a crossover cable and managed to creat a private network. I want to acess certain partitions on the desktop from the laptop. Of course, I made the partitions on the desktop shared. However, When I click on the folder icon...
  9. Data Sharing on a local network

Data Sharing on a local network: Good Morning, I decided to register an account here, as i think this forum is interesting because i had an opportunity to search some tutorials and see some threads in the forum, so i'm new here. I also decided to create this post, since i have a problem i can't seem to...
  10. Local vs Network user accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local vs Network user accounts: I bought a Windows 10 Surface laptop recently from the Microsoft store. The clerk at the store helped me set it up and insisted that I create a network login account which would require that I use my email account to login. The reason she gave was that if my computer ever...