Windows 10: Network Share - Prompt for credentials

Discus and support Network Share - Prompt for credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have recently gotten a Windows 10 machine. In my network I have Windows 8.1 machine with shared folders, and several other Windows 8/7 laptops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kcjohn1, Oct 15, 2015.

1. kcjohn1 Win User

Network Share - Prompt for credentials

Hi,

I have recently gotten a Windows 10 machine. In my network I have Windows 8.1 machine with shared folders, and several other Windows 8/7 laptops with access. All those computers (including Xbox One) can see my desktop share computer and folders + access to the content of these folders without having to enter credentials (log in).

My Windows 10 laptop I can see my desktop machine, but I can't see shared folders. If I click on the computer, it prompts me for login credentials. Why is this case and how can I disable this so I can have access to folders without login?

:)

kcjohn1, Oct 15, 2015
  2. Naanman Win User

Windows 10 Home Network No Credentials

It is not the Homegroup that is the problem. It is the actual network share that is prompting credentials. The Network tab above the Homegroup tab in the left-hand column tree in Windows Explorer that displays Computers and Media Devices.

Naanman, Oct 15, 2015
  3. Windows 10 intermittently prompts for network credentials

I have two Windows 10 Pro PC's connected wirelessly on my home network.

Everything was working perfectly until the anniversary update was installed!

Now when I try to access remote shares on the other computer (this happens both ways) I am intermittently prompted to enter my network credentials.

If I cancel and retry the connection, I will usually get the same credentials prompt for three or four attempts and then I'll be able to connect to the remote share but without having entered the credentials.

Any ideas what could be causing this behaviour?

Alan

Alan S Wortman, Oct 15, 2015
Thema:

Network Share - Prompt for credentials

1. Network Share - Prompt for credentials - Similar Threads - Network Share Prompt

2. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  3. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  4. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Weird network share issue - not prompting for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird network share issue - not prompting for credentials: Ended up having to do a fresh install of windows recently because my RAID controller gave up the ghost. Installed directly with Win10 2004. Since then I have been having difficulty connecting to network shares from work. In the past, all I would do is connect to work VPN,...
  6. Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials

Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials: This is a very strange annoyance. Whenever I initially try to access the public folder on a networked PC named 'WiRNS' from any other PC, I'm presented with this 'Network Credentials' prompt: [img] Note that it already says in red, "The user name or password is incorrect"...
  7. Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba: The network topology is as follows: [ATTACH] 1, samba server the share is public 2, pc1 win10 3, pc2 win10 4, pc3 win10 While accessing samba server from pc1 and pc2, there is no network credential prompt. While accessing samba server from pc3, I will be...
  8. Printer Sharing and Network credential access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Printer Sharing and Network credential access: Hello: I have two desktops running Windows 10. One is a new one and I would like to be able to print from the USB connected printer on the other desktop. Problem is when I go to access my other computer which I can see, it pops up asking for security credentials. I really...
  9. Manage Network Share with Different Credentials

Manage Network Share with Different Credentials: I have the following use-case: I have all my pictures on a Networked Attached Storage (NAS) that supports Windows Sharing. I use Adobe Lightroom to manage my pictures. I want to map a network drive to a drive letter using either READONLY-ACCESS credentials or FULL-ACCESS...
  10. Network sharing asking for network credentials

Network sharing asking for network credentials: I am trying to connect to other pc's on my home network and have turned off password protected sharing. I can see the other computer in file explorer, but when I click on it I am asked for "Network Credentials". I have entered the Microsoft username and password and the...