Windows 10: Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!

Discus and support Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Guys, This is a curious one. I have three PCs (two desktop and one laptop) all running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1607). Each system has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mingle, Aug 26, 2016.

1. mingle Win User

Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!

Hi Guys,

This is a curious one.

I have three PCs (two desktop and one laptop) all running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1607).

Each system has a shared partition, set up exactly the same, which has sharing set for 'everyone', with 'full control'.

Password protected sharing is turned off on each system (in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings").

Each of the desktop systems can access each other's shared and also the laptop's shared partition.

The problem is when I try to use the laptop to access the shares on either of the desktop systems, I get a pop-up requester asking for a username and password. (see below - the laptop is "T400" and one of the desktops is "A960").

Any idea why this would be happening? I've checked the settings on all systems (sharing and network) and can see not reason for the password prompt appearing.

Previously I was running Win 10 Pro 64-bit (1511) on all three systems and never encountered this error.

Cheers,

Mike.

Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off! [​IMG]

:)

mingle, Aug 26, 2016

2. How do I remove the network credentials password from Windows 10.

You need to Turn off password protected sharing on the remote computer.

Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status

Scroll to the bottom

Click Network and Sharing Center

Click Change advanced sharing settings

Expand All Networks

Under Password protected sharing

Switch between 'Turn on password protected sharing and Turn off password protected sharing'

Then choose 'Turn off password protected sharing'

Then click 'Save changes'

Andre Da Costa, Aug 26, 2016
  3. cant connect one computer back to network

Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status

Scroll to the bottom

Click Network and Sharing Center

Click Change advanced sharing settings

Expand All Networks

Under Password protected sharing

Switch between 'Turn on password protected sharing and Turn off password protected sharing'

Then choose 'Turn off password protected sharing'

Then click 'Save changes'

Andre Da Costa, Aug 26, 2016
  4. Onum Win User

Hi, I had a similar issue a while back, I posted my resolution here it may help.

5. mingle Win User
    Thanks for the info, but it didn't help.

It looks to be related to this thread:

Network Credentials - Windows 10 Forums

Although none of the solutions there seems to have helped.

I'm at a loss for a solution...

Mike.

mingle, Aug 30, 2016
  6. PiKo Win User
    I solved the problem by defining a special username and password, and setting the appropriate sharing and security options. Then the shares for this username could be opened from another PC. This way, you could also access windows shares from Linux computers. My conclusion was that shares under W10, with administrator account and no password are difficult or even impossible to open.

7. mingle Win User
    The strange thing is that both PCs are set up in an identical way (other than the machine name ands account name.) I performed the clean install of Win 10 1607 with the machines side by side, duplicating each set of the install on each machine.

Even stranger is that I can access the 'problem' machine (A960) from a Linux system - I simply enter the Linux username & password (which has no association with the Windows machine).

I'd like to avoid adding users to the system, although I might try and add a password to the account of the machine trying to access the problem system and try those credentials when prompted.

Cheers,

Mike.

mingle, Aug 31, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

It is simpler to add a password to the account on each machine , the same PW and Name if you like , (which you can then disable if you want so you don't need it every logon) and enable password sharing on each machine, once you enter the credentials and tell win10 to save them on each machine (once) it should never ask for them again.

I use Option 1 in this Tutorial to disable the Password at logon again, this has worked since XP i think ? I used it on 7 too.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup - Windows 10 Forums

KB

Kbird, Aug 31, 2016
  9. mingle Win User
    Further to this issue...

I went as far as to do a clean install of Windows on both machines, but the issue persists.

One thing that may hold a clue is that when I connect the laptop to the local network via ethernet (rather than wireless), there is no issue - no Network Credentials prompt.

It's only when I use a wireless connection via my cable router (which also hosts the ethernet ports the other two PCs are connected to) that the problem happens.

What parameters could I check on the router (or in the Windows 10 network settings) that could possibly cause this?

The router is a Netgear C6300BD. I'm not connecting via WPS, just normal 802.11g

Cheers,

Mike.

mingle, Sep 3, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    You said Password protected sharing is turned off on each system (in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings").

Have you double checked on each PC that this setting has been correctly stored? I once had a problem where password protected sharing was stuck on. I have a fix if this is your problem.

Steve C, Sep 3, 2016
  11. mingle Win User
    Thanks for the reply...

Password protection is definitely turned off for all systems.

Cheers,

Mike.

mingle, Sep 3, 2016
  12. topgundcp Win User
    Is the laptop on the same workgroup ?
    Also try to power cycle the Router, from laptop run: ipconfig /flushdns

topgundcp, Sep 3, 2016
  13. mingle Win User

Thanks for the info. I tried that with no effect.

What could it be about the connection via wireless that causes the target machines to block the laptop?

Would Windows even be able to detect that the laptop connection is coming into the router via wireless?

When the laptop is connected via a 'hard-wired' Ethernet connection everything works fine, it must be something to do with the wireless connection. What's changed in Wind 10 1607 that could cause this?

It's a tricky one, and no mistake!

Cheers,

Mike.

mingle, Sep 3, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    For Home Network. It is always a good practice to assign a static IP for each device (use LAN settings in Router) so that when power up a device (PC, Printer, smart TV etc...) you'd get the same IP for each device, otherwise you might get a different IP then Network will be broken temporarily until DNS is refreshed.

Also double check if your Laptop is set to private

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off! - Similar Threads - Network share requesting

2. Enter Network Credentials -- Password protected sharing is off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter Network Credentials -- Password protected sharing is off: Hello,I have a Windows 10 machine that I am trying to connect to another Windows 10 machine. It used to work with no issues.On the machine I am trying to connect to Password Protected Sharing is off. I added a user and password and still get the same error.Two other machines...
  3. Enter Network Credentials -- Password protected sharing is off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enter Network Credentials -- Password protected sharing is off: Hello,I have a Windows 10 machine that I am trying to connect to another Windows 10 machine. It used to work with no issues.On the machine I am trying to connect to Password Protected Sharing is off. I added a user and password and still get the same error.Two other machines...
  4. Enter Network Credentials -- Password protected sharing is off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10: I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem. Let's say my main PC is PC A, and my second PC is PC B. When I try to access files on B from A, everything works fine. But when I...
  6. Turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing.

Turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing.: how do I set up a password for netwotk sharing? ***Modified Title from: How do I set up a password for network sharing*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-password-protected-sharing-over-network/04c4ee71-adcd-45ea-90be-e35904259e1e
  7. Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...: Hi support team I want to turn off the password protected sharing on my PC. So, the other users available on the same network can access my shared folder without entering any user credentials. To do that I entered into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and...
  8. Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing: We are looking for a way to turn off password protected sharing either programmatically or through some type of scripting (cmd, powershell, etc.) for Windows 10 1607. It is the option in Advanced Sharing Settings (All Networks) in Network and Sharing Center. We can...
  9. Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell

Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell: How can I use PowerShell to turn on/off "Password Protected Sharing" setting in Advanced sharing settings? 66136
  10. Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10 When password protected sharing is turned on, only people who have a Public folders. If you wanted to give access to shared files to other...