Windows 10: Network Shares not seen with MS account

Discus and support Network Shares not seen with MS account in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have previously asked for help on an issue I had whereby one of my win 10 comps would not let any other comp see its shares unless the requesting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by linw, Jul 18, 2015.

1. linw Win User

Network Shares not seen with MS account

I have previously asked for help on an issue I had whereby one of my win 10 comps would not let any other comp see its shares unless the requesting comp had a local login. With a MS login you would get the error 80070035, Path not found.

I have spent days (and nights!) trying to find why my main comp was the only one acting like this. I have found the solution.

The offending comp has been through many iterations from win 7, win 8, win 8.1 and numerous Preview builds. This means that there was the likelihood that a setting somewhere would not now be correct. Googling for an answer was just an exercise in frustration as this 80070035 error has been around for years but I never found a link to what I have now found.

I have done a lot of checking of services etc between my comps to no avail. But today I was drawn to the registry settings of the Lanman Server. I compared the problem comp with a good one and after a while I found a discrepancy. The LanmanServer\Parameters had two extra keys that the good comps didn't have. These were 'Size' and 'SMB2'. I deleted both and was amazed to find that fixed the problem (gotta remember I have had a ton of disappointments!). The shares just popped up as they were supposed to!

The actual item that caused it was the SMB2 entry. It didn't matter earlier, but it does now. Clearly, the OS has evolved to make this setting a problem. Why this only affected the MS login I don't know. Maybe some clever person can explain?

Sorry for the long post. Maybe it might help others, especially those who have done a lot of upgrading.

PS Apologies to MS for bagging their networking! Maybe they could check that entry as they upgrade, though?

:)

2. ShawnAngelo00, Jul 18, 2015
  3. Photo Hub - People only has 2 contacts

I did exactly as jack's manual instruction. The problem is I can only see one contact here, while hundred of my other contacts are not listed here.

from the desktop web People website I can see only the contacts under messenger (microsoft account) can be seen in photos>people>choose contact. Many I'd my contacts do have Microsoft accounts, but their accounts are not labeled as MS accounts under my People.live.com.
    My testing MS accounting does share albums with me but I cannot seen here.

please help.

Anonymous699, Jul 18, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Can you give the actual registry key you changed / deleted --there's loads of LanmanServer parameter entries --which one ?

Never mind --found it -- now working.

BTW to enable a share again I found if you add the share permission with your LOCAL user name (even if you are logged on with an Ms account) it will also work for the Ms account too.

Looks like finally this stuff is getting fixed.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
  5. linw Win User
    Under Parameters, I had a key called "SMB2". If you don't see that key you don't have my problem!

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

just altered my post --it's fixed now --thanks.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
  7. linw Win User
    Did you have that SMB2 key as well, jimbo?

8. jimbo45 Win User

I had it on the "Rogue" machine -- don't know how it got there -- but it's gone now. I re-booted just in case --I think it's always worth re-booting if you change anything in the registry.

Interesting thing also my Logitech Audio server doesn't keep disappearing when it's not in use either --it shows up all the time in Network now when its active.

I never had the SIZE parameter BTW.

I think also if you want to create Passwords for shares you can create credentials --I'm leaving that for the moment --when something is working I'm dis-inclined to "fix it". !!!!!

Note running x-64 on build 10240.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
  9. linw Win User
    Glad to hear I have been of help, jimbo. I didn't even need to boot or get out of regedit before it magically worked!

Of course I rebooted to make sure it still worked*Smile

Must say this is a weight off my mind knowing it is not a win 10 issue (not directly, anyway!). I also hate being beaten by these infernal devices. Glad I wasn't paying myself wages for the time spent!

Cheers,

Lindsay.

10. pbcopter Win User
    Would you guys share the registry key you are referencing?

pbcopter, Jul 18, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    Dude, I had asked you several times if you had done just this, and you told me you had....

Regardless, the registry hack is probably dropping you back to SMB1 which will be much slower than SMB2 and less secure.. For you local firewalled network, the security may not be an issue (although, there have been viruses known to take advantage of SMB1)...

Mystere, Jul 18, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    What is the key you are working with?

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2015
  13. linw Win User

So, are you saying that your computer has SMB2 under Parameters? I would hazard an educated guess that it doesn't. I have four win 10 10240 comps here and only one had the SMB2 entry, and, guess what, that was the only one that failed with the path not found error. I have tried entries of SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, SMB4 and only SMB2 gives the failure that can be seen on all my comps, including a win 8.1 one. The effect is totally repeatable.

The 'hack', as you call it, does nothing but make file sharing work as intended and can hardly be controversial considering only one of my comps has it and I suspect the SMB2 entry comes from Vista days.

I also don't think this problem has anything to do with how your shares are set up or, indeed, whether you have any shares set up at all as this gives an Empty Folder' message on a working system. My supposition is that it is a protocol issue and the Lanman Server doesn't acknowledge the request for share info hence the Lanman Client's response that there is no path to the server.

Something was changed in win 10 sometime after 10130 as I reverted one of my comps to 10130 and the path not found error wasn't there.

As for reverting to SMB1, I don't agree that is happening as I quote below:-

Q: How can I quickly check what version of SMB is being used between my machine and the server?
    A: There are now several different versions (or dialects) of the SMB protocol that were introduced with different versions of Windows:

• SMB 1 - Windows 2000
    • SMB 2 - Windows Server 2008 and WIndows Vista SP1
    • SMB 2.1 - Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
    • SMB 3.0 - Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8
    The version of SMB used between a client and the server will be the highest dialect supported by both the client and server.
    This means if a Windows 8 machine is talking to a Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 machine, it will use SMB 3.0. If a Windows 8 machine is talking to Windows Server 2008 R2, then the highest common level is SMB 2.1.

14. linw Win User
    HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters. Under Parameters I had an entry, 'SMB2', that I deleted.

15. linw Win User
    Good article here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

This shows that a 0 value disables the SMB entry. My SMB2 had a 0 thus disabling it. I changed the value to 1 and it all worked fine.

I suggest that these entries are now irrelevant in a modern system which is why they don't appear in new win 10 installs. Checked my win 8.1 system and it has no SMB entry, either.

I'm just going to go with no SMB entries! But I have learnt a few things in the process.

Cheers,

Lindsay.

Thema:

1. Network Shares not seen with MS account - Similar Threads - Network Shares account

2. Network Computer - Windows Account is not seen in Users folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Computer - Windows Account is not seen in Users folder: I have 2 Windows 10 Pro computers: - one is Surface Pro version 2004 Microsoft Windows Account - one is Dell Venue Pro version 20H2 Local Windows Account When accessing either computer on the network, the "Users" folder does not show the user's account. For example: The...
  3. Network Computer - Local User Account is not seen in Users folder

Network Computer - Local User Account is not seen in Users folder: I have 2 Windows 10 Pro computers: - one is Surface Pro version 2004 - one is Dell Venue Pro version 20H2 When accessing either computer on the network, the "Users" folder does not show the user's local account. For example: The account "hjhop" is not seen. Same thing...
  4. Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations

Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations: Hello ! I hope you are all well and I also hope that I can find some ideas around here: Things are as it follows: I have Desktop PC connected to a router via cable and several other laptops around the house, connected via Wifi, to the same network / same router,...
  5. Microsoft account is seen as a local account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft account is seen as a local account: Windows 10 doesn't recognise my Microsoft account and sees it as a local account, i can't seem to find a option to change this. I'm using the exact same Live account on 3 PC's, but just this one PC is giving me this strange issue, it won't even let me set a PIN like it does...
  6. I can access my network drive yet no shares are to be seen

I can access my network drive yet no shares are to be seen: I can access this Drive with windows Explorer. When I reboot machine it comes up and it asks me for a password and it connects. [img] The problem I have is I want to use everything search on that neworked drive yet I have no way to tell everything that this share exists....
  7. How and when is devices information seen in my MS account updated?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How and when is devices information seen in my MS account updated?: I have two computers running Windows 10. One MS Surface Go running Windows Home and a desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro. When I check the devices listed under my MS account I'm told my desktop computer has pending updates even when it reports being up to date when I check...
  8. Sharing folders in local network to "specific people" when MS account the same

Sharing folders in local network to "specific people" when MS account the same: I have PC and notebook attached to same Microsoft account (log in options set to not asking me for password every time I starting PC or notebook). When sharing folders in "Specific people" there 3 options in dropdown list: my Microsoft account, Everyone and "Create new user"....
  9. Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts

Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts: Hi there I'm surprised nobody has posted this solution before -- If you have computers with Local and Ms accounts you will often see the login panel prompting for a user name when trying to access the Shares on the computer with the MS account FROM the one with the local...
  10. Please Ms FIX the shares issue when using an MS account

Please Ms FIX the shares issue when using an MS account: Hi there as Ms people obviously read these excellent Forums -- please seriously sort out the Networking issues some of us (a lot actually) have with accessing shares on our LANS when using logged on with an Ms account. The networking seems to work fine when using a...