Windows 10: Network Sharing File Access Problem

Discus and support Network Sharing File Access Problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been reviewing the simple folder sharing setup on my three Windows 10 PCs. I'm trying to share folders between three computers on the same network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Steve C, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Network Sharing File Access Problem

I've been reviewing the simple folder sharing setup on my three Windows 10 PCs. I'm trying to share folders between three computers on the same network by right clicking the folder and giving access to Everyone without using a Home Group. All computers have Windows 10 Pro (PC A is on the Anniversary Update and B & C on the latest FCU). All computers are running Windows Defender and the standard Windows firewall.

The chart below shows the connectivity. Computers B & C can see all folders on all PCs. However, A can see computers B & C but cannot access their shared folders. I've checked all the usual things i.e. folder permissions, advanced sharing permissions, all PCs are on WORKGROUP configured for a home network, run the various network troubleshooters, reset the network, checked the TCP/IPv4 settings are on auto and run sfc /scannow on all PCs.

Please advise what else to check. Note PC is still on the older Anniversary Update - could this be the problem?

Network Sharing File Access Problem [​IMG]

:)

Steve C, Nov 21, 2017
  2. HR Raihan Win User

Access permission to windows shared folder and non shared folder.

Hello

I've several shared folders on my Windows 10 64 bit system with proper user permission but they can access my all drive by using \\mypc\drive$. Eventually I just stop sharing and after
    stop sharing they can also access my PC (all files and folder). Note: My PC is under a corporate domain (mydomain.com) and also enterprise network.

Problem 1: Want to share file without root access (\\mypc\drive$) and no one will not be able to access
    non shared folder.

Solution:

Problem 2: When I'll stop sharing, no one will not be able to access my printer or files.

Solution:

Thanks,

HR Raihan, Nov 21, 2017
  3. BlueHawks Win User
    Connectivity Problem Windows 10

I have a six computer network at home. All the drives, except the C: drives, on all of the computer are set to share with full control for all users. Each of the computers are set up the same way as shown below:

*********************************** COMPUTER NO. 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, & 06 ************************************

Control Panel - System

Workgroup: <workgroup name>

*********************************** COMPUTER NO. 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, & 06 ************************************

Control Panel - Network and Sharing Center

<network name>

Private network

Access type: Internet

HomeGroup: Available to join

Connections: Wireless Network Connection

(<network name>)

Control Panel - Network and Sharing Center - Advanced sharing settings

Private (current profile)

Network discovery

When network discovery is on, this computer can see other network computer and devices and

is visible to other netoerk computers and devices

Turn on network discovery - YES

Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices - YES

Turn off network discovery - no

File and printer sharing

When file and printer sharing is on, files and printers that you have shared from this computer can

be accessed by people on the network.

Turn on file and printer sharing - YES

Turn off file and printer sharing - no

HomeGroup connections

Typically, Windows manages the connections to other homegroup computers. But if you have the

same user accounts and passwords on all of your computers, you can have HomeGroup use your

account instead.

Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections (recommended) - YES

Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers - no

Guest or Public

Network discovery

When network discovery is on, this computer can see other network computers and devices and is

visible to other network computers.

Turn on network discovery - no

Turn off network discovery - YES

File and printer sharing

When file and printer sharing is on, files and printers that you have shared from this computer can

be accessed by people on the network.

Turn on file and printer sharing - no

Turn off file and printer sharing - YES

All Networks

Public folder sharing

When Public folder sharing is on, people on the network, including homegroup members, can

access files in the Public folders.

Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders - no

Turn off Public folder sharing (people logged on to this computer can still access these folders) - nYES

File sharing connections

Windows uses 128-bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections (recommended) - YES

Enable file sharing for devices that use 40 or 50-bit encryption

Password protected sharing

Turn on file and printer sharing - no

Turn off file and printer sharing - YES

Control Panel - windows Firewall

Private networks - Connected

Windows Firewall state: ON

Incomming connections: Block all connections to apps that are not on the list of allowed apps

Active private networks: <network name 0>

Notification: Notify me when Windows firewall blocks a new app

Guest or public networks - NOT connected

Warning Window trying to access drive/folder on <computer 04, 05, and 06>

**************************************************************************************

* Windows cannot access \\<computer 04, 05, and 06>\<drive name>

* You do not have permission to access Windows cannot access

* \\<computer 04, 05, and 06>\<drive name>.

* Contact your network administrator to request access.

* For more information about permissions see Windows Help and Support.

**************************************************************************************

I have several questions:

• Why can none of the computer on the net access computers 04 through 06?
    • Why call all computers access computers 01 through 03?
    • What do I need to do to enable every computer to read, change, create,, and delete files on every other computer?
    FWIW I have been working on this problem for 3-days straight with breaks only for the potty, meals, and sleep.

Bob

BlueHawks, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Madness10 Win User

Seems like this is a common problem with the 1709 update.

Madness10, Nov 23, 2017
  5. I have a workgroup of 4 windows 10 computers, the master browser computer can 'see' and acces all the computers in the network, but the three other computers can't acces the others.

Adriaan Jansens, Nov 24, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I've just made a breakthrough! I just tried manually enabling NetBIOS on all PCs (see below) and now each PC can see all the shared folders on every other PC. However, the net view command still gives Error 6118 - The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Steve C, Nov 24, 2017
  7. Hi my friend how to find this NetBIOS on my Dutch language computer?

Many thanks in advance

Adriaan Jansens, Nov 24, 2017
  8. Madness10 Win User

Tried that, but the os reset itself overnight. All 3 still has NetBIOS enabled, but the problem returned overnight.

Madness10, Nov 25, 2017
  9. Madness10 Win User
    Try this. may have found a workaround. Was reading and researching and found that if you install simple Network Management Protocol, which is not installed by default, it will allow the network to see everything that is on the network.

Madness10, Nov 26, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    As well as setting share permissions you need to set NTFS permission for it to work

Samuria, Nov 26, 2017
  11. Madness10 Win User
    Thats just common knowledge.

Madness10, Nov 26, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    I discovered how to configure fixed IP addresses on the router. All is fine with the network adapter in Windows 10 on the default settings. I don't have SNMP or any SMB functions installed. Many people recommend disabling SMB 1.0 for security e.g. Why and how to disable SMB1 on Windows 10/8/7

Steve C, Nov 26, 2017
  13. Madness10 Win User

I was reading another article that said the same thing, after I did this trick, that smb1 is unsecured. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...op-using-smb1/
    How did you make it work with the router?

Madness10, Nov 26, 2017
  14. Steve C Win User
    Routers have different menus. Mine has a DHCP Reservations setting where you click on the current PC IP & MAC setting then reserve that else change the IP address if you ant something different.

Steve C, Nov 26, 2017
  15. Rogerfp Win User
    Try this:-
    gpedit.msc
    Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>Lanman Workstation
    Enable
    insecure guest logon = enabled
    The 1709 update has introduced a policy to disable the guest account on Pro or higher versions.
    Thats why the non upgraded PC doesn’t have the problem?

Rogerfp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network Sharing File Access Problem - Similar Threads - Network Sharing File

2. Problem with accessing Network shared Printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with accessing Network shared Printer: I've been trying to access network shared printer but it is not successful. I've configured the network sharing but I still cannot access it. The versions of the PC's are Windows 10. Windows 11 and windows 11 pro.We were able to print before with no problem. I have disabled...
  3. Problem with accessing Network shared Printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with accessing Network shared Printer: I've been trying to access network shared printer but it is not successful. I've configured the network sharing but I still cannot access it. The versions of the PC's are Windows 10. Windows 11 and windows 11 pro.We were able to print before with no problem. I have disabled...
  4. Problem with accessing Network shared Printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  6. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  7. Can't Access File Sharing or Network

Can't Access File Sharing or Network: Hello,I'm having a difficult time right now getting my file sharing and Network to run.Im trying to use Roon Audio via a ROCK NUC10i3. I'm at this stephttps://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-os-missing-codecsBut I have nothing showing up in my network drive.I've...
  8. File sharing and network device access problem

File sharing and network device access problem: I have a problem with one of my laptops not being able to access shared folders. The network uses a TPlink Archer C2300 router and I have a desktop PC running Win 7 connected to this by Ethernet. I also have a Lenovo W530 laptop and a Lenovo ThinkBook 15-IML which both...
  9. Networking & File Sharing problems

Networking & File Sharing problems: I've had numerous computers over the years and never have been able to get networking/file sharing to work consistently. It works one day, then not the next. One computer sees the other but the other can't see it one day, then the next day, that computer sees the other but...
  10. Network file sharing problems

Network file sharing problems: I’m having perplexing difficulty getting two Windows 10 desktop computers to share files over my network. The setup of the two computers (names OFFICE-PC and TVROOM) is entirely symmetric (same network and sharing options, same Workgroup, same HomeGroup),yet TVROOM can access...