Windows 10: Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop

Discus and support Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Guys, This issues has been driving me nuts since the 1703 Creators Update. I've searched the web and tried pretty much everything to fix it with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mingle, Jan 30, 2018.

1. mingle Win User

Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop

Hi Guys,

This issues has been driving me nuts since the 1703 Creators Update. I've searched the web and tried pretty much everything to fix it with no luck.

So I let it slide until now. I've finally decided to raise the issue here to see if the greatest minds in the arena of all-things Windows 10 can come up with a solution. Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop :)

Here's a description of the three systems involved:

I have three Windows 10 PCs: two identical Dell 9010 desktops (named A9010 and B9010) and a Lenovo T430 laptop. All three systems are installed with installs of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709.

None of the systems were set up with a Microsoft account during install - they were all set up with a 'local' account.

Each system has a data-partition (D:, labelled "Data"), which I have shared, giving full access to 'Everyone':

(Note: any settings shown for A9010 are exactly the same for B9010)

Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop [​IMG]

In the Network and Sharing Centre, I have all three systems set up the same. Password protection is off, file and print-sharing is on, network discovery is on:

All three systems are networked via a Netgear C6300BD-202 cable modem/wireless router. The two desktops are connected to the router via RJ54 Ethernet cables. The T430 connects wirelessly to the router's wireless network "mkb".

Here's the problem:

In Windows Explorer, under the 'Network' entry in the side-pane, all three systems are visible to each other.

However if I click on the 'T430' share from either of the desktop PCs (A9010 or B9010), I received the following error:

From the T430 laptop, if I click on either the 'A9010' or 'B9010' share, I receive the following 'Enter Network Credentials" requester:

I've tried every imaginable combination of username/password and everything is rejected.

However, the two desktop PCs (A9010 and B9010) can access each other's shares without any issues.

Looking at the network information for each of the systems, the only thing that stands out is that in the Basic Network Information settings, the two desktop PCs are showing "Private Network", while the T430 laptop shows "Public Network". Not sure if this is relevant, or not:

As ever, I'm grateful for any and all suggestions or comments in my search for a solution to this (very) annoying issue.

Cheers,

Mike.

:)

mingle, Jan 30, 2018
  2. Ntracs Win User

networking pcs on windows 10

I would like to share files between my windows 7 laptop pc and my windows 10 desktop

Both computers are on a network and I can see both computers on each pc.

On the Network Menus

The following is displayed:

Desktop Network: Both Desktop and Laptop computers are displayed.

Laptop Network: Both Laptop and Desktop computers are displayed

The problem is with access to the data

I have created shares on both computers laptop and desktop.

I cannot list the shares for viewing and changes.

When I attempt to access the Desktop from Laptop to view the shares the following error message appears:

The same occurs when viewing Laptop share from Desk:

The following error message occurs.

Enter network password on Laptop to connect Desktop computer.

The prompt displays user name and Password for Domain name:

I would appreciate some help on identifying the user name requested and the associated password for the laptop.

I also would like to know if this will resolve my problem with accessing shares

Thank you in advance

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Ntracs, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Ntracs Win User
    networking pcs on windows 10

thank you for your speedy response however I turned off network sharing options and turned off password protection sharing reboot the pc and no change.

I was wondering if you have any other suggestions

Thanks

Ntracs, Jan 30, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

I think homegroup/sharing doesn't work on public. Do you really want T430 mkb connection to be public? It is your network presumably.

If not you could try changing it to private and see if that helps. They keep moving this setting around but for me (on 1709) it is:
    Settings > Network and Internet > WiFi > Manage known networks > mkb (i.e. your network name) > Properties

See Whats the Difference Between Private and Public Networks in Windows?

5. Barman58 Win User
    The homegroup is designed, as has been said, to work with a Private network only, It will not work with a Business or Public network and also need the IPv6 settings to be switched on and working, (on the internal network),

One other consideration is that the whole Homegroup concept is being wound down by Microsoft and there is talk of it being depreciated from the next major Update 1803 which should be with us in March/April.

It may be worthwhile looking at going to/sticking with the traditional networking model, or Microsoft's suggested route of using Onedrive and it's facility to access files on other systems as a replacement.

One other Tip, with a Homegroup the initial device should not be, (where possible), a wireless only device as there have been many reports of connection issues in this configuration. It's fine to connect a wireless device to an existing homegroup but it's always more reliable if the "Master" device is connected to the router via Ethernet

Barman58, Jan 30, 2018
  6. mingle Win User
    Thanks for the info guys - some progress has been made... The laptop can now see both of the desktop PCs and can access the shares without being prompted for Network credentials, although strangely it took a number of reboots before it worked.

However, the desktops still cannot access the laptop share - it still displays the same Network error message show in my original post.

I don't use the Homegroup functionality (at least I do not have any Homegroups set up!) - the Homegroup item in the Explorer navigation pane simply shows the "Create Homegroup" page when I click on it.

As for the laptop's network being 'public' I'm not sure how that happened - it's just the designation it was given during the Windows installation - perhaps as I used a local account, rather than an online Microsoft account?

The network error seems to be the final hurdle! So still looking for additional suggestions Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop :)

Cheers,

Mike.

mingle, Feb 6, 2018
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    On the T430 ... check the NTFS Permissions (Properties > Security Tab) on the T430 Share, you might need to add Everyone there as well.

Eagle51, Feb 6, 2018
  8. Samuria Win User

When it asks for username and password it needs one with admin rights on the PC your connecting to. It makes life very simple if you create accounts on the other PC with same name and password as the one your connecting from as by default Windows passes that

Samuria, Feb 6, 2018
  9. Clintlgm Win User
    e laptop's network being 'public' I'm not sure how that happened - it's just the designation it was given during the Windows installation - perhaps as I used a local account, rather than an online
    Whether your wi-fi adapter is Public or Private is a setting you set at any time depending on whether you're on your own private network or in public as in using wi-fi at Starbucks. On my notebook, its at All settings/network and connection/ then select private or public.

Clintlgm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network sharing problem between desktops and laptop - Similar Threads - Network sharing problem

2. Unable to network file share between two laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to network file share between two laptops: System information: HP Omen 17.3 Inch Gaming Laptop - Windows 11 Home 64 Bit Version 22H2HP Notebook - Windows 11 Home 64 Bit Version 21H2Both Accounts on each system are live and not local accounts. HP Omen network path is \\VINCE\HP Notebook network path is...
  3. Unable to network file share between two laptops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to network file share between two laptops: System information: HP Omen 17.3 Inch Gaming Laptop - Windows 11 Home 64 Bit Version 22H2HP Notebook - Windows 11 Home 64 Bit Version 21H2Both Accounts on each system are live and not local accounts. HP Omen network path is \\VINCE\HP Notebook network path is...
  4. Network sharing between two laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network sharing between two laptops: I'm trying to connect access two laptops Windows 11 and Windows 10 together under the same network but keep getting the Network Credentials prompt. I've tried entering the correct user/password to no avail? All permissions in Network Sharing are correct. Any suggestions?...
  5. Network sharing between two laptops

Network sharing between two laptops: I'm trying to connect access two laptops Windows 11 and Windows 10 together under the same network but keep getting the Network Credentials prompt. I've tried entering the correct user/password to no avail? All permissions in Network Sharing are correct. Any suggestions?...
  6. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  7. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  8. sharing files between laptop and desktop

9. network sharing between PC and Laptop?

network sharing between PC and Laptop?: I have 3 drives on my PC with windows 10. Need to share on of these drives with my laptop with windows 10.These 2 units are placed in different rooms with the same network at home.Thanks...
  10. problem sharing files between computers on the same network

problem sharing files between computers on the same network: I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop, and I have (successfully) connected/shared my old Windows 7 laptop to my Windows 10 laptop (via an Ethernet cable) so that I can copy files from the old to the new. An odd problem has occurred: When attempting to copy some folders (e.g.,...