Windows 10: Network sharing question

Discus and support Network sharing question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Any idea how I do this in windows I have two machines currently NAS Linux servers : Brownbear and Gudmundur In Gudmundur I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Aug 4, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Network sharing question

Hi there

Any idea how I do this in windows

I have two machines currently NAS Linux servers : Brownbear and Gudmundur

In Gudmundur I have a share HDD0 available as a SAMBA share.

on Brownbear I want to access this HDD. There's nothing (and no need to) in the SAMBA.Config to pre-allocate this HDD -- I only need to access it "ad hoc".

So Easy linux command

jim@brownbear ~]$ su
    Password:
    [root@brownbear jim]# mount -t cifs -o jim //gudmundur/HDD0 /mnt/DV4
    mount error: could not resolve address for gudmundur: Unknown error
    [root@brownbear jim]# mount -t cifs -o username=jim //192.168.1.14/HDD0 /mnt/DV4
    Password for jim@//192.168.1.14/HDD0: *********
    [root@brownbear jim]#

now I can see all the files on that drive etc.

Network sharing question [​IMG]

How do I do this in Windows --should be simple but I can't seem to make this work. I.e I have a Windows share say DRIVE Z - but it's a REMOTELY attached drive (i.e not a drive directly / USB or whatever --it's connected via something like //serveraddr/name(Z). I can't connect this with the cifs mount command but there must be away of doing it ??

Any network gurus - or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

I have devices connect to my network how find?

Go to Control Panel - Network and Sharing, then turn on Network Discovery and File Sharing

I hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Aug 4, 2017
  3. sloper67 Win User
    lumia 830 as a Wifi hot spot in a remote cabin

The question I have is about the phone sharing its cellular network at startup, not about it connection to an existing network.

sloper67, Aug 4, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Network sharing question

Have you tried using Winscp for browsing the shares on the Linux Machines? I know that with disabling SMB1 in Windows has broken the network, turning it back on fixes it.

The one way that I ever got shares working was by going in with Webmin and doing the convert Linux user to Samba user, etc.. Samba on Linux has always given me headaches, with the exception of my Synology NAS, which actually works well out of the box.

bro67, Aug 5, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    Jimbo see this link. Just remember to make sure that Computer Browser service is automatic in Services on the Windows Machines.

To disable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled

Scottie's Tech Lan Scanner will show in Windows the machines on the SMB Workgroup and the Master Browser. Downloads | Scotties Tech.Info I hope that my headache goes away now. I have been beating my head over the desk in searching everything I could. Of course the technet info does not state the obvious of "Do not touch the huge red button in Windows Features labeled SMB1, because we tied the Computer Browser Service into that).

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Network sharing question

1. Network sharing question - Similar Threads - Network sharing question

2. Network Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Sharing: To make sure the problem can be solved, allow File and Printer Sharing in Windows firewall settings.Step 1. Click "Start" > "Control Panel" > "Windows Firewall" > "Allow a program through Windows Firewall".Step 2. In the pop-up window, check "File and Printer Sharing" in the...
  3. Networking and File Sharing question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Networking and File Sharing question: Hello, I've been trying to get file sharing working on my home network. I've got three PC's all running Windows 10 Home, all directly wired to the router. I've already changed the properties of the drives I want to share. When I open File Explorer, and go to the network tab,...
  4. Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations

Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations: Hello ! I hope you are all well and I also hope that I can find some ideas around here: Things are as it follows: I have Desktop PC connected to a router via cable and several other laptops around the house, connected via Wifi, to the same network / same router,...
  5. Shared Folder Question

Shared Folder Question: We recently replaced one Windows 10 PC with another. PC A had access to a single shared folder on PC B. The folder on PC was set to "Everyone." PC A clicked a desktop link to access this folder. PC A was replaced by PC C, with all files/folders/links transferred over....
  6. Office Sharing Question...

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office Sharing Question...: So I added a new computer to my paid Office 365 subscription and that shows up on my installs page. My silly question is how can I verify that it is indeed my paid subscription on the new computer and not a trial or what came loaded with the computer as a trial. Sorry about...
  7. Media sharing question

Media sharing question: [ATTACH] Hi I'm just wondering if the above is normal under media streaming settings on widows 10 home edition,I'm trying to share and have being trying to share a folder using kodi(i have contacted kodi)...shouldn't there be an ip address/mac address on the above..every...
  8. Network question Daisy chaining shares

Network question Daisy chaining shares: Hi folks If I have a NAS / LINUX server and a Windows machine on a network I can mount a Windows drive on to the NAS server and if it's mounted on a SAMBA share e.g /mnt/sharename then anybody who has access to the server can also access the Windows share (assuming right...
  9. Network sharing

Network sharing: I am not a newbie but there is a lot I have yet to learn. I do not have a homegroup set up but on my Windows 8 machine I can see all of my Windows 7 machines (2). On both of my Windows 7 machines I can see all of my other Windows 7 machine and the Windows 8 machine. My...
  10. Network File sharing question

Network File sharing question: Hi folks I can't seem to find any satisfactory answer to the following scenario Computer A (Linux) File server shares HDD1 and HDD2 with a Windows computer So on the Windows computer (Computer B) have shared Network Drives Y and Z Now on ANOTHER Windows computer...