Windows 10: Network sharing

Discus and support Network sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a network with 7 computers (USING WORKGROUP). I use one for a "server" and there is one program on it that needs to be accessed from the other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sailor, May 16, 2016.

1. Sailor Win User

Network sharing

I have a network with 7 computers (USING WORKGROUP). I use one for a "server" and there is one program on it that needs to be accessed from the other computers. I need to map a drive to a certain location on this "server" to run the program. All computers work fine except this laptop. when trying to log into this program with the client, I get the map address and a message that the "server" does not exist. It has to be something with the laptop. Any thoughts.
    Thanks

:)

Sailor, May 16, 2016

2. Networking sharing

Hi Debbie,

If password protective sharing keeps on turning even after disabling it from the
    advanced sharing settings, our next option is to manually disable it through Group policy. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press the Windows + R key to open the Run dialog box.
    • Type lusrmgr.msc in the Run dialog box and press
      OK.
    • Click Users.
    • Locate and right-click on Guest.
    • Select Properties.
    • On the Guest Properties window, click the Password never expires
      box and click OK.
    • Exit the dialog boxes and check if the issue persists.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, May 16, 2016
  3. Networking sharing

Under all networks I am trying to turn off password protective sharing. I save it and it automatically reverts back to password protective sharing on.

What is the fix for this?

[ Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet
    ]

DebbieWeaver, May 16, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Network sharing

You cannot run a program that is on another computer from across the network. It is done that way for security reasons. It could be with the laptop if it is running any kind of third party security software. It could just be the program for how many licenses that it may have and you have used them all.

Without knowing what the program is and how it is being used, really cannot tell you why you have this issue with just one machine when sharing folders.

bro67, May 16, 2016
  5. Sailor Win User
    There is a client sw on laptop. It did work. This was before upgrading to 10, but it was not working just before upgrade. The program is Power Church. It is accounting and data base for churches.

Sailor, May 16, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Those programs are supposed to allow you to have a copy on each machine and then one has to be a Master or have a dedicated machine for handling the Database. Depending on what kind of Internet Security software or someone has made any changes on a workstation or possibly infected it by accident, it can cause the software to not work.

Looking at the info on the software, I would say that it is poorly handled in how they have limited theirselves in what OS that it can be ran on, along with you have to be constrained to their restrictions. Is the church paying for the Cloud Service, that you can connect from anywhere, without needing the software on a computer?

It is going to be a wild guess, but I am going with my earlier answer that it is a software issue. The company or person who wrote it, limited it to a very restrictive requirement and looks like they are wanting to push users to only using the Online/Cloud version at this point, which I am not comfortable with. Especially that not every church has a fast enough Internet Connection, and a lot of them if not on a huge budget, have electrical issues that can cause problems.

Depending on the budget and if the information that is already on the system can be moved over to say Intuit's accounting software or one of the versions that can be set up on a Linux LAMP server. You are going to be in where you have to look at what third party software for Internet Security is on the laptop and see if the firewall in that software is locking down the ports that Power Church uses.

I run a Cisco RV320 Router to handle all network security and no firewalls on any computer within that part of the network. I am not too fond of any software company that runs their software as if we are still in the DOS or Windows 3.1 days.

If using Wifi on the laptop, hook up to Ethernet and make sure that any third party Security software is shut off. Also do the same on the machines, especially the Master computer for the software. Then make sure that the units are in sync and that you have a mapped share, along with the missing protocols problem is not rearing its head on that laptop.

If you can see the shares in the Command window or ping any machine from the laptop and the machines can ping the laptop, then go ahead and see if you can find the shares in Windows. If you can access the shares without Password Protection or the Library through Home Group, IPv6 is on all machines, the Gateway is showing correct IP for the MAC of each unit, then they should be able to grab the files or work within the program.

When you have the Master for the software being used. It can in itself cause issues with other computers if the system locks up on the user or their account may have a lock down when they are logged on, so that they cannot do certain things. The last part is also make sure that you have the same account with the same password on every machine that you use to log in for using this program, along with all users are allowed to use the software if that could possibly cause an issue.

Without sitting in front of it and seeing what is going on, I am just going to have to give you the same information how I would troubleshoot, along with a thought of worst case scenario if the software cannot work with 10 or the company refuses to build a fix for it. Especially when they have probably hooked a bunch of old code into an attempt to keep using the same proprietary database format that they have been using for over 32 years, Too many programmers back in the 80's did not want to use dBase to handle their database code, so they created their own to not have to pay dBase for the rights. Now we have to re-learn what to do when we come across this kind of situation.

bro67, May 16, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Looks like only 11 is "compatible" with 10 as they show on their Compatibility page. From looking over the information, I am correct that they are pushing people into the Online "Cloud" version to get away with having to deal with code fixes that customers have to download. To them it keeps their code proprietary and easier to maintain on their end.

PowerChurch Software - Church Management Software for Today's Growing Churches

bro67, May 16, 2016
  8. Sailor Win User

Network sharing

I did not get a chance to look at it today. I believe the laptop has the latest version. It appears it is not getting Into the "server", as it says the mapped drive address does not exist. That person can log in from the "server" with the same user & PW. The "server" can be seen from the laptop, but can't get to files (I'll verify that no files can be reached tomorrow).

Sailor, May 17, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    I would check Permissions for that shared folder.

bro67, May 17, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 17, 2016
  11. Sailor Win User
    I can access other computers on the network.
    If I try to access "server", I get Windows box that says \\Turtle is not accessible. Turtle is "server". Continues on saying you might not have permission & etc.
    if I try to go to where mapped location is then it says that that path does not exist. Says nothing about permission.

Sailor, May 18, 2016
  12. Sailor Win User
    I can see and pull up logon box for laptop from Turtle. I can see turtle from laptop, but can't see folders or files. Must have something to do with permissions, but I can't figure it out. Laptop can see other computers.

Sailor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Network sharing

1. Network sharing - Similar Threads - Network sharing

2. Hi - another network sharing issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi - another network sharing issue.: Hi - another frustrating network sharing issue. Until recently my wife has been able to access her files on my PC via her laptop over WiFi, no major issues. All devices were powered off recently while we were away from home, come back and suddenly the shared folders which...
  3. Hi - another network sharing issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi - another network sharing issue.: Hi - another frustrating network sharing issue. Until recently my wife has been able to access her files on my PC via her laptop over WiFi, no major issues. All devices were powered off recently while we were away from home, come back and suddenly the shared folders which...
  4. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  5. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  6. Network LAN file sharing continually disables, how do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network LAN file sharing continually disables, how do I fix this?: Hi! Me and my brother have been experiencing issues with LAN performance, and I cannot seem to figure out the problem. We like to game, and recently we have not been able to join each other over our local network connection. I can list every option I've tried: disconnecting...
  7. Network LAN file sharing continually disables, how do I fix this?

Network LAN file sharing continually disables, how do I fix this?: Hi! Me and my brother have been experiencing issues with LAN performance, and I cannot seem to figure out the problem. We like to game, and recently we have not been able to join each other over our local network connection. I can list every option I've tried: disconnecting...
  8. I m using windows 11, I am unable to add a printer or print on a shared / network printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I m using windows 11, I am unable to add a printer or print on a shared / network printer: I m using windows 11, I am unable to add a network printer or print on a shared / network printer . please assist in setting up by adding the network printer....
  9. I m using windows 11, I am unable to add a printer or print on a shared / network printer

I m using windows 11, I am unable to add a printer or print on a shared / network printer: I m using windows 11, I am unable to add a network printer or print on a shared / network printer . please assist in setting up by adding the network printer....
  10. Network Sharing and Passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Sharing and Passwords: I am having a nightmare of a time trying to access shared folders on my two PC's, a Desktop and a NUC acting as a server.Windows keeps asking for Passwords, but I did a new install and I haven't even chosen a passwordI didn't do it as a local machine, I did it online using my...