Windows 10: Network view from diff sys,should they be the same & drive share issue

Discus and support Network view from diff sys,should they be the same & drive share issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Currently I have two issues I'm attempting to resolve Why cannot my three laptops access the shared drives on my desktop? When I open Windows Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jgt1942, Jan 9, 2016.

1. jgt1942 Win User

Network view from diff sys,should they be the same & drive share issue

Currently I have two issues I'm attempting to resolve
    • Why cannot my three laptops access the shared drives on my desktop?
    • When I open Windows Explorer and click on Network on my four PC should the view on each system be very similar (mine are not)?
    I've searched for solutions, tried numerous things (too many to remember) and so far I don't have a solution. I'm open for suggestions. Following is a rather lengthy explanation, hopefully I've included enough details but if not please ask.
    I have four PCs in my network all have Win10 x64, Pro
    • S4 is my desktop with a clean install of Win10 x64 Pro but I still have quite a way to go with this effort. It also has 11 drives that I share to the other systems (more on this issue later). Following is the disk management view

Network view from diff sys,should they be the same & drive share issue [​IMG]
    • Lenovo - this is my wife's laptop, it only has one HD with several small partitions created by various windows upgrades, one 150GB partition for the OS, one 500GB partition for data and one partition for the original window install and the Lenovo recover (this partition I should delete in that I will never be going back to the factory image). Following is the disk management view.

Win10 x64 Pro is the OS and it was upgraded from Win8.1 which was upgraded from Win8 (I think this was a clean install). I'm not sure what OS was originally installed on this laptop
    • W700 - this is my laptop, it is a OLD Lenovo ThinkPad W700, I don't recall what OS was originally installed but I went through the upgrade path Win8 (I think this was a clean install), Win8.1 and now Win10 x64 Pro. It has a SSD, a HD, two locally attached USB drives, 1 -eSATA attached drive and currently one network drive (this is from my Desktop, AKA S4 or at least this is what Disk Management shows). Following is the disk management view.

• Sony - this is a VERY old laptop that originally has WinXP installed. I clean installed Win7, clean installed Win8, upgraded to Win8.1 and then upgraded to Win10 x64 Pro. It has only one HD that has three partitions. One is the Window 10 recovery partition, one is the OS and the 3rd is for data. This system is to be used to monitor my Solar installation. Following is the disk management view.

From the desktop I've shared out with full permissions, no ID required on S4 from the other systems all of the HDs except for the boot drive. Thus the laptops should be able to access any of the shared drives with full permissions. However this is NOT the case and I cannot determine what is the problem. I've gone to each laptop (Lenovo, Sony, W700) and attempted to access all of the drives but on two of the systems I cannot, following are more details.
    • Lenovo - from this system I can access all of the S4 drives

• From the Sony laptop, I cannot access five of the drives (highlighted in red in the following image)

• From the W700 laptop, I cannot access the same five drive that the Sony cannot

If I go to each of the four systems and open Windows Explorer > Network I expect to see basically the same view but I don't see the following images.
    • S4

• Lenovo

• Sony

• W700

:)

jgt1942, Jan 9, 2016

2. Network view from diff sys,should they be the same & drive share issue

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the late response.

To assist you better, I would like to know whether any error is displayed when you try to access the drives.

I suggest you to unshare the drives once and share the drives again and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to create a new Homegroup and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 9, 2016
  3. JGT
    jgt Win User

No problem on the slow response, I greatly appreciate your help.

I get the following error for the drives I cannot access. I'm using File Manager for the following image, note that the system thinks the drive "K" is attached. In a CMD windows I have used "net use /delete" and it reports "The network connection could not
    be found."

As a test I have unshared a drive that I could not access and reshared it. For one drive this allowed me to access it on one system but not the other system. When i did the unshare on each system I disconnected the drive (sometimes in the CMD window using
    the net use CMD I could still see the drive connected and then I had to use the Net Use command (net use K: /delete) and then reshared it. I have not been able find a consistent set of commands that seem to work on all three systems connecting to my desktop.

One of my systems (Lenovo) I can access all of the drives on S4 but the other two system some I can and some I cannot.

I'm NOT using Homegroup, I'm using simple networking. This is what I have always used and it always worked until I installed Win10 on my desktop.

Thema:

1. Network view from diff sys,should they be the same & drive share issue - Similar Threads - Network view diff

2. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  3. Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Access Shared Drive On Another Computer on Same Network: I'm trying to share a Drive on my laptop Win11 Home through my Network so my desktop Win 11 Pro can rename files and do some file management on it. Both are on the same network and what I've done so far is mess around with settings to the point where I can see the other...
  4. Share drive on network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Share drive on network: The Windows 10 installation on a new Dell XPS is configured without the Everyone user for the C:\ object in the Security tab. So I can't share the drive. I can share folders, no problem. I tried adding Everyone, but got a series of errors related to in use files and...
  5. Cannot view network drives from Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot view network drives from Laptop: I cannot view any network drives from my win 10 Laptop.I've already adjusted the windows sharing settings on all PC'sOn the main PC where the network drive is located, it can view the Laptop and see the mapped drives in the Laptop, BUT I cannot view/read/write/modify anything...
  6. System drive that should be hidden from view appearing as user drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System drive that should be hidden from view appearing as user drive: Hi, I've hidden this drive from view a zillion times, but the pest always comes back. Last time it has worked for some time, but now is plaguing me again. First time I used diskpart, selected the disk and partition and them set letter to none, but the issue is solved but...
  7. Network drive sharing issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network drive sharing issues: Encountering "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different username and password" when trying to access my HTPC's shared HDD. However, I can connect to its shared SSD with a few minor issues (unable to access Program Files and similar). Both drives have...
  8. Unable to view shared files on network

Unable to view shared files on network: I have a Lenovo PC with pre-installed Windows 10 OS. Today morning onwards the network is not getting accessible with this system. I can access other systems shared folders from this PC but can't access the shared folders of this Lenovo PC. Also internet is working fine in...
  9. shared network drive

shared network drive: I am using Windows 10 version 1809 build 17763.292 and have set up my home private network. Why do I have to keep doing a network reset on my main computer in order for my notebook to be able to connect to my shared usb drive?...
  10. viewing "Properties" of shared drives on a home network

viewing "Properties" of shared drives on a home network: My question is: How do I view the "Properties" of the other drives in my networked computers. Before I used Windows 10, ( all 4 computers were on windows 7) all I had to do was point to the shared drive on another networked computer and right click on it and select...