Windows 10: Networked Computers Show with WiFi - Not with Dock via Ethernet

Discus and support Networked Computers Show with WiFi - Not with Dock via Ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Any tips as to why my networked devices show up when on WiFi but not when connected to ethernet via my Dell USB WD15 dock? I cannot figure it out no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ericnixmd, Aug 16, 2017.

1. ericnixmd Win User

Networked Computers Show with WiFi - Not with Dock via Ethernet

Any tips as to why my networked devices show up when on WiFi but not when connected to ethernet via my Dell USB WD15 dock? I cannot figure it out no matter how hard I have looked. I'm sure there is something simple I'm overlooking.

:)

ericnixmd, Aug 16, 2017
  2. MULTIOPE Win User

Stuck in Airplane Mode after Win 10 upgrade

Solved. I connected my SP3 to ethernet network by the docking station port. Then It got the ethernet and showed the wifi connection and after a diagnostic test show me a wifi driver problem, I updated the wifi driver and it worked.

MULTIOPE, Aug 16, 2017
  3. RonBueing Win User
    Windows 10 No "WiFi" Option

I am connected to the internet via an Ethernet connection. I need to access my WiFi network, but no WiFi option shows up in Network & Internet list on the left hand side of the page and the only available network showing is to my **** Router which is connected
    by Ethernet. The wireless router is working and several other devices are connected, but I cannot see the wireless network on my computer and it has a wireless card. When we set up the router at first it would only connect via wireless and not by Ethernet.
    I wanted the Ethernet connection for the desktop computer for the speed, so we disabled the wireless during the set up of the router. The wireless now does not even show up to be enabled. Any ideas.

RonBueing, Aug 16, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Did you try the suggested fix to disable SMBv1 from the Command Terminal and change Computer Browser to Automatic, as stated in Creators Update destroyed Network Discovery on wired LAN - Windows 10 Forums The only other problem could just be your gateway losing the lease on the Ethernet port, while it is sitting there idle.

Asking the same question multiple times is not going to change the answer.

bro67, Aug 16, 2017
  5. ericnixmd Win User
    If the gateway was losing the lease on the ethernet port, would it not have an IP address?

ericnixmd, Aug 19, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    If the Gateway does not associate the MAC with an IP, then we go back to seeing if a static IP will hold. If the gateway loses the static IP before the lease, then look at seeing if the gateway has a green setting or the dock may be the culprit. That is why I mentioned about the SMBv1 issue to start from there and work forward.

The only other thing that I can think of is look through the Dell Business forums to see if there have been problems with those docks. The other would be to take it to a friend's place, get it to connect and then go in and make sure the gateway has given the MAC a IP lease. Have the friend go into the gateway say a day or two later and see if the IP is still assigned to the MAC.

bro67, Aug 19, 2017
  7. ericnixmd Win User
    The dock passes the laptop's MAC, which has a reserved IP on my router. It shows as connected on my router and if I disable wifi, it will still have an internet connection (most speed I can get with wifi is 350-500 Mbps, when docked I'm getting 850-940 Mbps). I don't think ai'm

ericnixmd, Aug 19, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

9. ericnixmd Win User
    I did the SMB fix bro67 suggested. When I plugged up my laptop to the dock, network computers were shown for a few seconds then disappeared. Other devices (Sonos, BrotherMFC, etc.) are showing, but no computers currently (except for the one I'm on).

SWEET! As I was trying to mess around with settings (turned off IPv6, disabled then reenabled Link Layer Topology Discovery and Responder, etc.), I decided to bridge the Realtek Ethernet adapter (Ethernet 3) with the Intel Ethernet adapter (Ethernet 1). I think the built-in ethernet for the laptop is the Intel hardware. The Realtek is in the dock I believe. (I might have those reversed.)

At any rate, after bridging those connections all networked computers now show!!! Finally!

ericnixmd, Aug 19, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    I just pulled my Cisco RV320 from behind my U-Verse Gateway, since I was running into issues with a couple of items. Because with the U-Verse NVG589 Gateways, you can flush the IPTable and have it give you a fresh list, unlike the Cisco that was causing issues with the box running Windows 10, I think that I can nail part of the latest Windows updates to issues with my Cisco IPTables not doing what it is supposed to.

I am not using IPv6 at all, since I run a few items static and I do not really need it internally, but it was messing up with of course Windows of all things when I was playing around with Dual Stack between the NAS and Access Point.

Always eliminate the most obvious and if you can solve in less than six steps, we have one upped Microsoft at this point.

bro67, Aug 19, 2017
  11. ericnixmd Win User
    @bro67 out of curiosity, how do you reverse the scp changes you had suggested earlier? I'm curious if it had any effect (i.e., if it would work bridging the connections without doing the scp SMB changes).

ericnixmd, Aug 19, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    You change disable to enable. Just remember to save a System Restore point.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Networked Computers Show with WiFi - Not with Dock via Ethernet - Similar Threads - Networked Computers Show

2. Network discovery between Ethernet and WiFi doesn't show

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network discovery between Ethernet and WiFi doesn't show: I have a Desktop ethernet connection, aswell as a laptop connected the the same network through 5Ghz, I have other devices what use the 5ghz connection that show up on my network discovery on my laptop, but am unable to detect my wired desktop that is currently connected to...
  3. home networking wifi and ethernet computers

home networking wifi and ethernet computers: How do I home network and share a computer on wifi with one on ethernet, when they are on the same router? Looks like the easiest way is to make them both ethernet or wifi...
  4. Surface Dock Ethernet "Unidenfitied Network"

Surface Dock Ethernet "Unidenfitied Network": Firstly, I'd like to apologize in advance for my ignorance. This is my first time dealing with a problem such as this and I feel like I'm in over my head and I am losing my mind. I have a Surface Book 2 15 inch that I use as a desktop by connecting it to a Surface Dock....
  5. Wifi Networks not showing, only ethernet works

Wifi Networks not showing, only ethernet works: Hello, I have been using Windows 10 for more than 10 years without any issues. About 2 years ago, I got a gaming PC and I set up everything as needed. The Wifi worked fine and everything went smoothly, however, recently an issue arose that I have been trying to fix to no...
  6. Network -- two computers connected via ethernet

Network -- two computers connected via ethernet: One office, HP, other office Dell. These two computers are connected via ethernet. As of this latest upgrade, the HP can access the Dell, but I (Dell) cannot access the HP. Under "Microsoft account, Your devices" both computers are shown. Drivers are updated. I have changed...
  7. ethernet computer does not show wifi computer in file explorer network list

ethernet computer does not show wifi computer in file explorer network list: My desktop computer is connected to my router with ethernet & does not show my WiFi connected laptop computer in the file explorer network list in the left pane. The desktop computer does list itself in the network list. The laptop shows both computers in its network list....
  8. connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi

connect to internet via ethernet and wifi but to network only on wifi: Hello. I have three Dell XPS PCs connected via a Verizon Actiontec router to each other and to the internet, all running Windows 10 (two preinstalled, one upgraded from Windows 7). All connect fine to the internet via Ethernet and wifi, but they can only see/connect to each...
  9. Connected via WiFi but only ethernet network icon shows in Tray

Connected via WiFi but only ethernet network icon shows in Tray: Here's a strange one. I am connected via Wifi, everything works fine, fast, stable. But I just noticed the icon showing in my Tray area is the wired ethernet icon. (No RJ45 cable connected, no docking station). [img] Is this a bug or a feature? 74525
  10. Cannot connect to network computer via WiFi

Cannot connect to network computer via WiFi: I have two computers: a desktop with no WiFi (Ethernet only) and a laptop (Ethernet and WiFi). Using Ethernet on both computers I am able to see and share files both ways and all works perfectly. Using WiFi on the laptop I can connect with the desktop machine but not the...