Windows 10: Networking issue - Windows and Ubuntu

Discus and support Networking issue - Windows and Ubuntu in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Went on a short trip, took my Windows 10 laptop, turned off the Ubuntu computer and my wife's Windows 10 computer. When I returned, I turned everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rboppy, Nov 10, 2017.

1. rboppy Win User

Networking issue - Windows and Ubuntu

Went on a short trip, took my Windows 10 laptop, turned off the Ubuntu computer and my wife's Windows 10 computer. When I returned, I turned everything back on and nether Windows computer could see the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS computer. On the Ubuntu computer, Files/Network clicking on Windows Network received "Unable to access location - Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory" error. Both Windows computers were able to use the Ubuntu before the trip.

Any suggestions?

:)

rboppy, Nov 10, 2017
  2. Jessen P Win User

Windows 10 : No Wi-Fi networks found

Hi Sourabh,

Thank you for the update.

Since you mention that "problem has started when I installed Ubuntu as my dual boot" did you try to remove Ubuntu and check if the Wifi networks get found?

This is done in order to be sure that it was the installation of Ubuntu which caused the issue.

Jessen P, Nov 10, 2017
  3. Gymbos Win User
    Networking problem between Windows and Ubuntu

Went on a short trip, took my Windows 10 laptop, turned off the Ubuntu computer and my wife's Windows 10 computer. When I returned, I turned everything back on and nether Windows computer could see the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS computer. On the Ubuntu computer,
    Files/Network clicking on Windows Network received "Unable to access location - Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory" error. Both Windows computers were able to use the Ubuntu before the trip.

Any suggestions?

Gymbos, Nov 10, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

Try connecting with IP of the Ubuntu computer
    Code: \\192.168.0.100[/quote] You will have to find the Ubuntu IP in terminal with either:
    Code: ip ad | grep inet[/quote] or
    Code: ifconfig | grep inet[/quote] That's the way I usually do it.

sml156, Nov 11, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    Hmm, are you running any kind of third party security software, does it show your network connection as private? Those two items are what is going to be the first things to check.

bro67, Nov 11, 2017
  6. rboppy Win User
    [/quote] Entering the Ubuntu ip address into the Map Network Drive Folder: \\127.0.0.1 gave me a duplicate of my computer

Networking issue - Windows and Ubuntu [​IMG]

the first time, cancelled and tried it again so I could post a picture and it gave me this error:

Networking issue - Windows and Ubuntu [​IMG]

Tried it once again and got the connection shown in the first picture, cancelled, tried it again and got the error.

rboppy, Nov 11, 2017
  7. clam1952 Win User
    127.0.0.1 is the loopback IP for the local computer not the Ubuntu PC's IP address.

See here for how to find the Ubuntu PC's IP address Find your IP address

clam1952, Nov 11, 2017
  8. rboppy Win User

Following sml156's instruction on the Ubuntu computer gave me:
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host​

rboppy, Nov 11, 2017
  9. rboppy Win User
    No third party security software. Network connection is Private.

rboppy, Nov 11, 2017
  10. rboppy Win User
    Posted the problem in Microsoft Community, received an answer from an MVP, that solved the problem.

"Try restarting both computers, log into Windows 10 first, then restart Ubuntu then log in then see if you can browse each." My reply was:

"That did it! Kinda strange though, that's exactly what I did when I returned from my trip, started my Windows computer, then the Ubuntu and had the problem. And my wife's computer can now also access the Ubuntu!"

rboppy, Nov 11, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    You just quoted the "Loopback" addresses. Somehow one or even both think that they are the Samba Master. I doubt that the trip showed up and messed with everything. Again, check your network adapter to see if it shows it in Public or Private. Of course your network connection is going to be private when you are home. Just go download Speccy and post the URL it gives you after you run the test, post that URL on here.

bro67, Nov 12, 2017
  12. sml156 Win User
    The lan card was not getting a DHCP address, If it were you would of had another line that had something like
    Code: inet 192.168.0.100/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global enp3s0[/quote] Rebooting allowed it to get a DHCP address

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Networking issue - Windows and Ubuntu - Similar Threads - Networking issue Ubuntu

2. Windows/Ubuntu Dual Install Issue and Intel RST

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows/Ubuntu Dual Install Issue and Intel RST: I have a laptop Acer Aspire A515-54G (128GB SSD & 1TB HDD) with windows 10 installed in the SSD. Recently, I needed to install Ubuntu in dual boot, so I shrinked the HDD since it had free space. But Ubuntu installation failed since Intel RST was enabled. I google the issue...
  3. Ubuntu and Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ubuntu and Windows: My laptop was lent out, when I finally got it back it has Linux and Ubuntu and as far as I can tell, Windows is gone. I cant find any Windows files, none. When I started it up and went to the start up options all that's there is Ubuntu. Before I knew Ubuntu was on it i was...
  4. Windows/ubuntu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows/ubuntu: I have 2 ssd'd on my MB. One is Windows and one is Ubuntu. I want to remove the ssd that has Ubuntu. It's not a typical dual boot system that had both OS on the same disc but I am still unsure what will happen If I remove the Ubuntu ssd. I don't want to lose anything or have...
  5. Virtual Machine Lost Network Connectivity (Ubuntu)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual Machine Lost Network Connectivity (Ubuntu): I recently shut down my PC for vacation and when I started it back up this week, my Ubuntu virtual machine is complaining that it's unable to connect to the network. The host machine has network access. No changes to configuration were done in recent months. All was working...
  6. Network connection dropping on Windows 10 but not on Ubuntu

Network connection dropping on Windows 10 but not on Ubuntu: Hello, I've been having internet connection drops consistently every few minutes. This has been confirmed by the ISP, they are having connection outages throughout the city. (Vodafone claims that they aim to fix the issue but cannot give me a date of completion... This...
  7. Ubuntu Linux Installation Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ubuntu Linux Installation Issues: Hi Everyone, Last night I had the wild urge to try out the linux distribution of Ubuntu, I really thought everything was going well. Within Ubuntu, there's a hard drive partitioning application built-in, that part of the installation seemed to go well. I proceeded to move...
  8. Ubuntu on Windows - accessing Network drives - solved

Ubuntu on Windows - accessing Network drives - solved: Hi folks tinkering around with UBUNTU on Windows (WSL) -- great fun You can access Networked drives without using SAMBA This command does it : sudo mount -t drvfs '\\server\share' /mnt/share haven't worked out though how to "get at" Windows local drives....
  9. Windows 10 Network Discovery Problem with Ubuntu/Samba Server

Windows 10 Network Discovery Problem with Ubuntu/Samba Server: I have a problem that has me stumped. I have a Ubuntu Media Server (OS Version 14.04.1) running Samba 4.1.6. I have a Win 10 laptop (upgraded in August from 8.1) and Win 10 desktop (upgraded Jan 11th from Windows 7). The laptop doesn't (or very rarely) discovers the Samba...
  10. Issues dual booting Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues dual booting Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 10: I'm having some troubles trying to get Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit dual-booted with Windows 10 64 bit. Firstly, I burned the latest ISO from the official Ubuntu website to an 8GB USB formatted to FAT-32 using Universal-USB-Installer. I then restarted my computer and changed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Ubuntu Windows network unable to access