Windows 10: Networking RTM build- Fails FROM MS account TO Local (works other way)

Discus and support Networking RTM build- Fails FROM MS account TO Local (works other way) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there RTM build (today's) - FAILS if you are logged on to a machine with an MS account and you want to access shares on a LOCAL account (both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jul 28, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Networking RTM build- Fails FROM MS account TO Local (works other way)

Hi there

RTM build (today's) - FAILS if you are logged on to a machine with an MS account and you want to access shares on a LOCAL account (both W10).

Works fine if you are on a LOCAL machine and want to access shares on the machine with Ms account. You'll get a popup prompting for USER Password. Use the USER in the USERS file on the "C" drive on the Ms account machine plus your Ms account password.

PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO ACCESS SHARES ON THE LOCAL MACHINE FROM THE ONE WITH THE MS ACCOUNT. I get a Windows popup as before but whatever combination of user names / passwords machine won't access -- just keeps popping up Username / password invalid.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2015

2. No way to sign into Cortana using a local account fail

Windows 10 RTM released today and I was so excited to try out Cortana, I had to LOL when I found out that you can not simply log into Cortana without switching to a MS account on the PC. What a fail MS....I will ALWAYS use a local account or i'll just
    use Linux. Find a way...find a way.

SemperAye1, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Windows 10 New user account

I have the same fault. I tried creating new accounts:

Family - with validated MS Live account

Non-family - with validated MS Live account

Non-family - local account

All of these fail to sign in on first attempt and thereafter.

My (admin) account and the other non-admin local account set up when the PC was running Windows 7 still work correctly.

Event log reports:

Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, and that your network is functioning correctly.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

DavidRobinson889, Jul 28, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Username=REDSQUIRREL\username
    Password=only you know that!

This works fine here.

But I do have a problem with a local account that doesn't have a password. Doesn't seem to work in this scenario.

5. linw Win User
    Can confirm local with password to local without password won't work either.

Seems if you want to share, you have to have a password.

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Working now --thanks. (Build 10240 RTM - the one released yesterday by Ms is the target Local machine).

Local to Local works fine without passwords -- assuming you are using the SAME username on each machine for the shares.

Local TO Ms account also works OK but you need to enter a password. Use the proper user - this can probably be seen in the USERS directory on the C drive -- if it's your Ms user account just use the username - strip off the email bit.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Networking RTM build- Fails FROM MS account TO Local (works other way) - Similar Threads - Networking RTM build

2. Converting inaccessible account to local/other MS account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting inaccessible account to local/other MS account?: So basically I can't access my microsoft account that my PC profile is linked to, and I cannot recover it, so how do I transfer all data to another microsoft account that is currently also on the PCORremove the inaccessible account from my PC, whilst keeping all data and...
  3. Converting inaccessible account to local/other MS account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Converting inaccessible account to local/other MS account?: So basically I can't access my microsoft account that my PC profile is linked to, and I cannot recover it, so how do I transfer all data to another microsoft account that is currently also on the PCORremove the inaccessible account from my PC, whilst keeping all data and...
  4. Trying to switch from MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying to switch from MS account to local account: On my Win10 (20H2) laptop, I went to Settings, Account, Your Info. My info shows my Gmail email account name and below that it says, "Switch to a local account" (this is what I want to do) So far so good. When I click to switch to local account, my Gmail account login shows...
  5. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  6. Can't switch from local to MS account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't switch from local to MS account: I am trying to switch from my local account back to my Microsoft account. Yes, back to it; it worked fine before I used the local account to troubleshoot some setting issues. I filled in my password and it said it's wrong. I verified by logging in to my MS account online...
  7. Using Local and MS accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Using Local and MS accounts: I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I...
  8. Onedrive works from Local Account (Build 9926)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive works from Local Account (Build 9926): I've not been on the Forum much lately so apologies if everyone already knew this and it's been in 10 Preview all along... but I'm really pleased that the Onedrive sync works for local accounts again. *Biggrin Like Windows 8 (but not 8.1) I can now sign in with a local...
  9. Build 10240 Networking STILL BONKERS with Ms accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Build 10240 Networking STILL BONKERS with Ms accounts: Hi there I have a really SILLY problem now on build 10240 two computers with Ms accounts -- One Disk NOT shared (deliberately) -- however it is accessible (both READ and WRITE) from another Machine (logged on with Ms account). In properties the Disk shows as NON shared...
  10. W10 connections FROM and TO Ms accounts (Mix of LOCAL and MS accounts)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 connections FROM and TO Ms accounts (Mix of LOCAL and MS accounts): Hi there Using SIMPLE / standard File sharing connections and all computers in the LAN on the same network name e.g WORKGROUP. confusion seems rife over what user names to use when connecting to SHARES TO or FROM a machine logged on with an MS account from a machine...