Windows 10: Networking Win10pro and Win7pro

Discus and support Networking Win10pro and Win7pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Both are members of the same Workgroup. Everything enabled but networking between the two is now a no go. The thing seemed to work most of the time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mart1981, Jul 30, 2015.

1. mart1981 Win User

Networking Win10pro and Win7pro

Both are members of the same Workgroup. Everything enabled but networking between the two is now a no go.

The thing seemed to work most of the time when I was running Win8.1 but since the upgrade it's a no go. Network discovery, etc all turned on - both machines. Password protection turned off - both machines. Sharing is set to Everyone, Administrator, Administrators - full control.

Have tried everything to no avail and believe the homegroup between Win10 and 7 is now apparently no go.

Any thoughts anyone as I've run out of ideas here.

:)

mart1981, Jul 30, 2015

2. Win 10 CRITICAL ERROR: Your start menu isn't working ..... etc etc

In the long run, that may not be the final fix. :/

I fixed my start menu problem when my hard drive went bad. I bought a new Dell with Win7Pro installed and a a free upgrade to Win10Pro. When this bug blog stops growing I will consider plopping my upgrade disk in and moving to Win10Pro. Until then, I'm a
    happy camper with my Win7Pro system.

StagecoachDriver, Jul 30, 2015
  3. JjM66 Win User
    Blue HightLights Windows 10

OK

I had no idea am brand new to Win10pro

I was use to Win7pro

Thank you

JjM66, Jul 30, 2015
  4. mart1981 Win User

An update - forgot to mention the Win10 machine can see the Win7 machine on the network but cannot access the files - 'Windows cannot access \\xxxxxx. Error code 0x80070035 - The network path was not found

The Win7 machine cannot see the Win10 machine.

mart1981, Jul 30, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I made a number of posts on this

First though can you say if the W10 machine is using a LOCAL or an MS account.

I notice that network connections aren't particularly stable -- they drop out after a while if you haven't used the machines for some time. Right mouse clicking in the network area (File explorer --network) and selecting refresh a few times seems to bring it back.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 30, 2015
  6. mart1981 Win User
    Thanks for responding. I use a MS account but in trying to sort I did revert to a Local Account - no go. So now back with the MS account.

When the laptop was running 8.1, no general problems although it did seem to drop off from time to time so definitely not 100% reliable. Also, the shared laser printer running from a USB cable worked fine via the Win7 machine.

Have just noticed that I can see my wife's laptop and shared files - she's using Win7 Pro. So the wi-fi element between my laptop and her laptop seems to be working okay but my main PC running Win7 via an ethernet cable to the router is a no go.

Edit: sorry forgot to add that my main PC running Win7 can also access the shared files on my wife's laptop. Certainly something weird here but probably very basic as well.

mart1981, Jul 30, 2015
  7. bro67 Win User
    In order to use Homegroup, IPv6 needs to be enabled on both machines. Majority of the time, it is some third party Internet security software someone is using, that is the culprit.

bro67, Jul 30, 2015
  8. mart1981 Win User

IPv6 enabled on both machines. Have disabled Avast on the main Win7 PC.

Will swap the router and report back - maybe a setting I'm missing in that.

mart1981, Jul 30, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'll almost bet you a million dollars to a bucket of Horse S--te that whatever the problem is it won't be the router.

For the Ms account to Local you need in the POPUP as username COMPUTERNAME\Username then your password

The username is the user on your local machine. Computername is your local machine name.

For Local to Ms account you need the username you set the Ms account with ignoring the email bit - or if you switched from local to ms account see what the names are in the USERS folder on the C drive.

Ensure of course you have enabled sharing on the relevant W10 machine. I'd also delete any Windows credentials on the W10 machine and re-boot.

The drop out is quite annoying -- after a few Network refreshes in File explorer-->network it works --don't know why this problem is on W10 --it was fine on earlier releases.

I think also IPV6 is installed by default anyway.

You might if sharing with XP machines have to switch off 128 bit encryption in the network settings and drop back to 40 I think it is.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 30, 2015
  10. mart1981 Win User
    Spot on jimbo - changing the router, disabling firewall made no difference. Have just fired up an old Samsung laptop also upgraded to Win10 and it found the main Win7 PC first time and shared files. Also the main Win7 PC found the old Samsung laptop shared files. Have made sure that both laptops are identically configured but still no go with the Lenovo - the one that's giving me all the grief. The old Samsung is also able to read the shared files on the Lenovo and vice-versa.

So it must be the Lenovo that's giving all the problems.

In the Lenovo Device Manager there are 3 Other devices - drivers required. Two are marked as Unknown device and one is PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller. Windows is unable to find the drivers for these so I guess it's off to Lenovo support as there were zero Other devices being shown when running Win8.1.

mart1981, Jul 30, 2015
  11. mart1981 Win User
    A further update - all Lenovo drivers updated from the Lenovo website to Win10. Still got a a couple of Unknown devices in Device Manager.

Hooked up an ethernet cable via the router and hey presto - everything worked as it should. So the conclusion is that it must be down to the Broadcom 802.11ac wi-fi Network Adapter in the Lenovo but totally out of my league as to what settings to change.

mart1981, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Networking Win10pro and Win7pro - Similar Threads - Networking Win10pro Win7pro

2. How to activate Windows 11PRO after upgrade from win7PRO to win10PRO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to activate Windows 11PRO after upgrade from win7PRO to win10PRO: Dear Microsoft Support Team,I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek your assistance regarding the activation of Windows 11 Pro. I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and subsequently to Windows 11 Pro using the free upgrade options...
  3. How to activate Windows 11PRO after upgrade from win7PRO to win10PRO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to activate Windows 11PRO after upgrade from win7PRO to win10PRO: Dear Microsoft Support Team,I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek your assistance regarding the activation of Windows 11 Pro. I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and subsequently to Windows 11 Pro using the free upgrade options...
  4. Transfer Win7Pro Diskdrive to a new machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Win7Pro Diskdrive to a new machine.: Do to a SSD drive failure on my desktop, I must use a HDD salvaged from another desktop.The SSD was running a valid legal version of Win10pro, while the salvaged HDD had run a valid legal version of Win7pro.Much to my surprise, the Win7 disk had minimal problems in adapting...
  5. Activating Win10Pro from a graveyard VistaPro-->Win7Pro pc. Details provided

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Win10Pro from a graveyard VistaPro-->Win7Pro pc. Details provided: I know activation issues can look suspect so I'll detail what I can. In-laws letting me clear out their old business pc's. Win win. This old hp compaq dx2400 with core2duo will work well for someone who can't affort better but isn't worth spending on. I have the original...
  6. Win10Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10Pro: I just bought from Discount Electronics a refurbished Dell PC with Windows 10 Pro. I can't use Advanced DISPLAY Settings because when I clicked on that link it doesn't show me anything to adjust the text and screen better, like the bold text , the brightness, the resolutions...
  7. win10pro

win10pro: 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT this is my key for windows 10pro but now is not working why????????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10pro/bc2fc63b-d83e-4f3e-b5a3-09a114de1f3e
  8. How to activate win10pro on new computer using win7pro license?

How to activate win10pro on new computer using win7pro license?: My computer died. I got a new motherboard and cpu, downloaded and installed win10pro. When I tried to activate using my win7pro upgrade product key, it didn't activate. Tried logging into my Microsoft account, that didn't work either. How can I get this activated?...
  9. win10pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10pro upgrade: I purchased .Windows 10pro Upgrade from Win home to Windows 10 pro . It Sowing "We don't update your PC Error code 0X0. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10pro-upgrade/6fffd38d-7bca-48ee-a259-06ef49081498
  10. Networking Win10Pro to Win7Pro stopped working. How do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking Win10Pro to Win7Pro stopped working. How do I fix it?: I have two computers which I have had networked together for nearly two years. The Win10 computer is dedicated to 3D graphics and kept offline most of the time. I Enable the network connection when I need to transfer files from one computer to the other and Disable the...