Windows 10: Networking woes again (W10)

Discus and support Networking woes again (W10) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Networking connectivity seems to get broken every so often -- I have shares on two W10 machines (Local accounts) that connect just fine. If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jul 13, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Networking woes again (W10)

Hi there

Networking connectivity seems to get broken every so often -- I have shares on two W10 machines (Local accounts) that connect just fine. If I come back to the computer say 45 mins later I get the computers can see each other but cannot connect to the shares --- Windows cannot access \\Computername.

A bit of messing around and Refreshes --then eventually they connect again. I don't want (and shouldn't have) to do this if I go away and say watch TV for an hour and then come back to the computer(s).

Is there perhaps a timeout that drops connection if unused for a certain period -- if so how do I override it.

Ms THIS IS UNACEPTABLE Networking is BROKEN seriously -- please FIX.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 13, 2015
  2. Emily_F Win User

Want day of week, date and time in small taskbar

Thanks Alan, my problem is completely solved thanks to your help. T-Clock Redux does exactly what I want. (If only there were such simple solutions to all my W10 woes!)

Emily_F, Jul 13, 2015
  3. Location Woes Again

I can confirm this...it has not been able to locate my phone for at least 3

weeks now. GPS is turned on, and I've made no changes to the phone.

Bob

CaptainVideo, Jul 13, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Good luck with your exhortation to MS, jimbo! I've found that if you want the TV to hear you, you have to shout REALLY LOUD so maybe it's the same with MS!!

5. Ztruker Win User
    Go into Feedback and Me too all the networking reports.

Ztruker, Jul 14, 2015
  6. Railtech Win User
    I solved my issue with this by editing the Windows Hosts file. The only problem now is that if I shutdown the PC, and restart again say the next day the network must be scanned which takes several minutes (roughly 10 for me to scan 12TB) before acces to any shares or even a credentials logon box appears. That is unacceptable for one and for another during the scan process Windows complains that it cannot access the resource or that I do not have permissions to access. Ok, give me my login box and I will gladly logon but don't make me wait forever before you do so!

Railtech, Jul 18, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    RailTech, what did you do to the hosts file?

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

I just tried connecting to my Windows 7 web server and first got an access denied. Hit F5 then when I click on it, I got the expected login prompt. Entered userid and password and am now able to access all shares on that system.

I wonder why I don't get the logon prompt for the Windows 8 computer, unless it's because I do have a MS account setup there but I use the local account all the time.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2015
  9. Railtech Win User
    Hi,

I edited the hosts file to tell Windows that my NAS is a locally attached device. I am providing a link that discusses how to do this in Win 10 as it is a bit different than previous versions of the OS. Basically you will use NotePad to edit the file. At the bottom of the file you will position the cursor a couple of lines below the existing entries and you create a line showing your NAS IP address followed by a Tab space followed by Your NAS name.

Example :

192.168.1.XXX MyNAS

Windows networking looks to the hosts file to resolve name spaces so basically your telling Windows Look Here Dummy! Works well when DNS is not configured properly or is slow/non respondent for any reason with locally attached devices.

Here's the link:

Easily Edit the Hosts File in Windows 10 - Petri

Railtech, Jul 19, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Okay, thanks.

That would have worked (maybe) for my 3 computer network too. Can't try it now as all is working correctly.

Hmmmm, I wonder if it would speed things up? Guess I'll try it and see.

Edit: It does seem to speed up access to my other computers. Atleast it doesn't take as long for the green scan bar to finish.

Ztruker, Jul 20, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Interesting. I'm on my laptop, named Laptop (amazing hey!).
    I have two other computers, Desktop and Webserver.

I just tried pinging them by name from a Elevated Command prompt on the Laptop and all the responses were IPV6 addresses.

If I ping by IP address, responses are all IPV4:

I have no idea what that means or if it has an impact on this problem but I thought it was interesting.

Edit: Doesn't mean anything, works the same from Win 7 or 8.1.

Ztruker, Jul 20, 2015
  12. linw Win User
    Same here. I just noticed this yesterday.

13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

The MEGA disadvantage with that scheme is that you have to have FIXED IP addresses on your network --OK if you never re-boot but if you use DHCP and have IP addresses assigned automatically then this method is no good.

You need something that can resolve computer names on your network so whatever IP is assigned on the Lan the situation will work.

You can usually always MANUALLY in any case connect to a remote computer if you have the logon permission via \\ipaddress\resource (e.g D or whatever), Networking should make this unnecessary though and it's still not 100% satisfactory when mixing computers with Local and Ms accounts.

Some people have had success by disabling IPV6 addressing -- but not sure if that's a good idea as a lot of ISP's are starting to use IPV6 now - although they will have to have some conversion mechanism to remain compatible with IPV4 for some time yet.

I think it's still obvious that as far as HOME Networking is concerned Ms still has a bit of work to do to get this working seamlessly and predictably.

(Funny how Linux has always seemed to have no trouble at all with even complicated setups whereas Windows sometimes has a problem just connecting TWO LOCAL computers !!!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 20, 2015
  14. Cr00zng Win User
    I disagree... It's not funny that "two local" computers cannot connect... *Sad*Mad

I agree with the rest of your posting, especially with the part about predictability of the network connections. Some apps rely on data on other systems and W10 dropping the connection in the middle of work is nuts. Just don't use W10 for work... *Tongue

Cr00zng, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Networking woes again (W10) - Similar Threads - Networking woes again

2. Troubleshoot network again and again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshoot network again and again: Whenever I need an internet connection badly, WiFi gets disconnected automatically, and when I check available wifi, it shows none!! So, I mostly troubleshoot the network and get connected, but after 10 mins, the same thing gets repeated. I googled this issue I face, but most...
  3. Troubleshoot network again and again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubleshoot network again and again: Whenever I need an internet connection badly, WiFi gets disconnected automatically, and when I check available wifi, it shows none!! So, I mostly troubleshoot the network and get connected, but after 10 mins, the same thing gets repeated. I googled this issue I face, but most...
  4. Troubleshoot network again and again

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Win10 and win7 network woes

Win10 and win7 network woes: Hi, I have 3 pc's in a network, 2 are running windows 10 and 1 is running windows7 When I had just 2 connected win10 and win 7 both could see each other and exchange files without issue. Occasionally however the win7 machine would struggle to see the win10 machine....
  6. "Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes

"Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes: This problem has been plaguing me for about a month now. My home's wireless network works just fine - my laptop has no problems connecting to it, neither does my phone, the TV, the Amazon Firestick, my dad's PC out in the garage, my mom's laptop, and until about 6 weeks ago,...
  7. Networking woes again !!!!

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Networking woes again !!!!: Hi there Why can't Windows Networking just be like Linux - nice GUI to configure SAMBA (or even use S.W.A.T), click on shares and it's done and works every time !!!!. Strange scenario now with HYPER-V HOST OS (W10) can access REAL W8.1 machine, and W10 VM running on...
  8. W10 Login woes

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    W10 Login woes: I have two login issues. 1. After installing W10, it seems rebooting brings up two accounts with the same email address. The first account is linked to my live.com account and uses the live.com password to login. The live.com login is what I wanted and I set up the PC to...
  9. Windows 10 networking woes once again...

Windows 10 networking woes once again...: For the past few days or so I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem with LAN connectivity between two PCs: my laptop (ThinkPad T450s) and my self-built desktop. Both computers are running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, build 10586. Initially my problem was the infamous "one or...
  10. W10 Downloading Again

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Downloading Again: Windows 10 started to download when I already have W10. I stopped the download. This happened after Dual Boot set up with Linux Mint 18. Was booted in W10. My OS W10 Pro version 10.0.10586. 58097