Windows 10: Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator

Discus and support Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my W8.1 system to W10. I'm assuming my administrator password is the same as it was - I don't recall being prompted to change and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by shortmort37, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator

I recently upgraded my W8.1 system to W10. I'm assuming my administrator password is the same as it was - I don't recall being prompted to change and save it - but, I'm never prompted for it. Instead, everytime I try to do something that requires administrative privilege (Manage my computer, install an .exe, run a CMD as administrator, etc.), my cursor goes to a spinning disk next to the arrow for 4-5 minutes or so - and then, I get this pop-up:

Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator [​IMG]

I'm not sure if get the same complaint when I attempt to change my UAC setting, or whether it's simply ignored; but I never get the opportunity to change it here:

I'm tempted to revert back to 8.1 - it's been less than a month - but I don't know for sure that I won't have the same problems when I get there. I'd like to press on and stay with W10, if I can - but, I'll try to revert before I do a complete wipe and install.

Anyone have ideas about what I can try to get out of this mess?

adTHANKSvance,
    Dan

:)

shortmort37, Nov 16, 2015

2. Windows 10 issue "Subst" command doesn't work

So, you log in as the user "Administrator", correct?

You did not switch off UAC, correct?

If you answered both with "yes", the Administrator user does *not* run with administrative privileges. Only, if it needs administrative privileges it will prompt you for them and you click "yes". That's all.

You cannot "log in as an elevated user". You can elavate later for specific tasks if there is need. This is almost seamless.

If you login as a user *with* administrative privileges you do not have these privileges with normal actions! Because you don't need them! The system prompts you if you need them.

If you login as a user *without* administrative privileges the system prompts you if it needs administrative privileges. In this case you have a little more to do than say "yes". You have to click the administrative account that you want to use and enter
    the password. You do not switch users! Only this task will be carried out with the privilege of that other user.

The normal way is to create a user account of your own, say "leonard". This user account gets created during installation and will have administrative privileges. There's no reason not to use it. In case you need admin privileges it will ask you.

If you do it that way then the Administrator account is locked and not usable. Only if you go to safe_mode (or there is no other user with admin privileges or you unlock it) you will have access to that Administrator account, which is not password-protected.
    So, this Administrator account is mainly a safe-guard for you, in case, something's wrong with your normal account.

which I took to mean that if you run subst in the non-elevated command window, only users without
    administrator privileges can see it.

This is correct, depending on the way you read it. It's not dependant on the basic user privileges, it's dependant on the privilege that the user has at that moment. A user with admin
    privileges does normally *not* run elevated. Only if you do "run as administrator" you go to elevated state and only for that process/task, not for the "whole" logged-in user. So, if you are logged in as the Administrator user and run the subst command in
    a normal command window then you have it in File Explorer and you should have it for most other operations. It won't be available for a process that runs elevated, e.g. installer for a program or in incompatible program that runs elevated all the time. For
    this case you would have to run subst in an elevated command window additionally and you should be able to access that virtual drive no matter if that process is elevated or not. (There may be problems with the files created in elevated mode, once you run
    a non-elevated process against it, depends on the permissions/integrity level set during creation.)

B-Hörnchen und A-Hörnchen, Nov 16, 2015
  3. e.gray Win User
    Multiple user account folders

Let's get back to this one statement. Are you saying that you had to enable the built-in Administrator account and login using those account credentials? That seems very very odd to me...

All of the software that I know of never requires that you actually login to the built-in Administrator account. Instead, they just require that the account be in the Administrators group. The membership in the Administrators group is all is that is required
    to give an ordinary account elevated privileges.

The "User Account Control" UAC control will typically prompt you before accessing these elevated privileges of an ordinary account.

e.gray, Nov 16, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator

What account are you logged in as? Are you sure it's an Administrator level account.

Start, Settings, Accounts to check.

Did you assign a password to the hidden Administrator account? Can you login to it or is it still hidden?

Ztruker, Nov 17, 2015
  5. I am logged into the "Dan" user account, non-administrative. From this account, I want to "Run As Administrator". Normally, I would be prompted for the administrator password. Now, I'm not.

Tonight, I tried the one other thing that occurred to me: From the cmd prompt,

runas /noprofile /user: DanPC\administrator cmd

This *does* prompt me for the administrator password. Alas, it does not appear to be what I set it to in W8.1.

shortmort37, Nov 17, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Nov 18, 2015
  7. This sounds promising - I will give it a try this weekend, when I have time. I admit to being confused, though - is "administrator" in the reference you cite:

net user administrator /active:yes

Different than the "administrator" I used in the cmd runas command? Is the "hidden" administrator account nameless, or if it has a name and isn't administrator, what is it?

Thanks
    Dan

shortmort37, Nov 18, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

No, it's called administrator. Worth trying, nothing to lose but a little time.

Ztruker, Nov 19, 2015
  9. OK, I tried Dinesh's tutorial. First, here's a list of accounts for my machine:

I held down Shift and rebooted, and got the WinRE splash screen. I was prompted to log in, with "Dan" my only option:

If I clicked on "Don't see your account", I got this:

Is it suggesting that "Dan" is an administrator account? Oh, that it were so... I went back, selected the "Dan" account, and it booted into command prompt. I then attempted the first of Dinesh's instructions:

Hello darkness, my old friend... "Access Denied."

Dan

shortmort37, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Never prompted to elevate privilege as administrator - Similar Threads - Never prompted elevate

2. administrator privileges

in Windows 10 Customization
    administrator privileges: when I try to play a game I get a pop up that says administrator privileges denied how do I fix this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-privileges/a834187a-1f8b-4fbe-8c69-1c8f0a33bc41
  3. Windows Privilege Elevation Management

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Privilege Elevation Management: Hello, I am configuring our privilege manager for our workstations at my business. I am having a debate on whether I want to allow ANYTHING to elevate from "trusted" directories i.e. Program Files and Windows directories that are owned by elevated users or make dozens of...
  4. Elevated Privilege

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Elevated Privilege: All-- It there a way to permanenly mark an executable (EXE, DLL, BAT, etc) to always run witth elevated privileges? My nightly file cleanup BAT launches BCDEdit (to reboot in Safe Mode) which requires elevated status. Thanks in advance for any help/direction, Randy Reist,...
  5. Elevated Privilege

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Elevated Privilege: All-- It there a way to permanenly mark an executable (EXE, DLL, BAT, etc) to always run witth elevated privileges? My nightly file cleanup BAT launches BCDEdit (to reboot in Safe Mode) which requires elevated status. Thanks in advance for any help/direction, Randy Reist,...
  6. How to elevate to administrator from Cmd prompt?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to elevate to administrator from Cmd prompt?: I'm having difficulties with Windows repair disk not repairing my MBR. I've tried different starup disks and nothing is working! My only hope at this point is to use command prompt to repair it, but I am not sure how I can elevate to administrator! I've tried the runas...
  7. UAC Elevation prompts?

UAC Elevation prompts?: Which is more secure regards to the UAC Elevation prompt? And which one should I select for the Admin account? Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop or Prompt for Credentials? 137776
  8. administrative privileges

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    administrative privileges: Running Windows 10 with latest updates and am attempting to execute "netsh wlan show wlanreport" from comand prompt. I go to start menu, select command prompt, right click it, and select "run as administrator". From the resulting command prompt, I can execute various NETSH...
  9. Installing with Elevated Privileges?

Installing with Elevated Privileges?: I m running my laptop as a standalone system and I also have two accounts. One for Admin and for Local Standard User. My question is, even If I had set the UAC prompting level too the maximum level, will I still need to set the following Group Policy as from the image? 114552
  10. administrator privileges...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    administrator privileges...: I have recently had problems getting certain programs to work properly (Alzip, Finale 2012 and others), and I've discovered that somewhere along the line, presumably after the last big Windows 10 upgrade, my permissions must have changed. The result of this is that I now have...