Windows 10: New 1 user. Hi & a few questions....

Discus and support New 1 user. Hi & a few questions.... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. New 10 user here. I normally use Windows 7 and my back up is a Windows 10. 7 is being repaired. My bottom search bar isn't working. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zolabud, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Zolabud Win User

New 1 user. Hi & a few questions....

Hi all.

New 10 user here. I normally use Windows 7 and my back up is a Windows 10.
    7 is being repaired.

My bottom search bar isn't working. The one on the bottom left.

My bar at the top and the taskbar have suddenly got really small. Can't remember pressing anything....

I ring HP constantly asking questions.Sometimes they can help,sometimes not.
    Usually they say that I should contact Microsoft.

This machine was cleaned and reinstalled with a new Windows 10 a few months ago when it stopped working after a Bios update.

Have been Googling the questions but haven't found out much.

Hoping someone can help....

:)

Zolabud, Feb 3, 2017

2. a few questions from a new user

Hi,

I've just switched to the Nokia 5800 from using a Blackberry. On the most part I'm reaaly glad that I did but I've got a few questions

1, Is there any way to have the screen permanently illuminated whilst it it connected to the charger? Great for media playback in the car because I can see what is playing/skip tracks quickly etc. also really useful at home because I can leave messaging
    open and see what emails are arriving if my main machines are busy

2, Is there any way of knowing which connection my mail is using when it collects mail automatically? Connecting to to the internet allows me to choose

3, Alarms - is there any way to assign different tones to alarms? For example, I have set one tone which it seems all alarms use 'alarm/settings/clock alarm tone' Is there any way to set up something like an hourly 'bleep' whilst leaving the other alarm(s)
    untouched?

4, Back to mail...Is there any way that I can tell the phone only to automatically check for mail when I am away from my home network? I've found the setting to only collect when at home but I would like the opposite

5, Contacts/address book.....is there any way to add the additional fields available (such as addresses, work phone numbers, work email etc) on Ovi to a contacts name if you input it via the phones keyboard?

Sorry if some of these questions have been answered a thousand times (I did try searching first) but I would appreciate any help/solutions people can offer

Cheers

Andy

andy_k---01, Feb 3, 2017
  3. a few questions from a new user

not sure now why i bothered posting......

another forum full of people whinging whilst being so self obsessed they don't have time to answer questions

man, you've got to love the internet New 1 user. Hi & a few questions.... :)

andy_k---01, Feb 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you could use a system restore point if you have enabled system restore.

We strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) ) which lets you restore your PC to a previously working state without technical help. If you have already discovered the value of disk imaging, try that.

Lacking the above, this next only addresses Cortana (the search bar).
    Try
    Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10
    one of the many professional quality tutorials.

Search for Cortana, and follow the instructions at the top of the section.

Please post back the result.

As this issue has been addressed many times in this forum, please also feel free to search for other threads on this topic.

dalchina, Feb 3, 2017
  5. Stevekir Win User
    This forum advised me to use Marcium (free). It makes an image every day, quietly and outomatically, even if the comp. is sleeping at the appointed time, deleting the oldest one. I have tested it by restoring an older image which worked perfectly. I also make Restore Points.

Stevekir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New 1 user. Hi & a few questions.... - Similar Threads - user few questions

2. New SSD User Trim question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New SSD User Trim question: Hi, So finally I made an upgrade to an SSD for use in my boot drive. a 240GB one specifically. I made a fresh install of Windows 10 last week ago in this SSD, went to confirm if TRIM is enabled then confirmed it is on. Now, I went to disk defrag and saw this: Do I click...
  3. Boxcryptor users - I have a few questions . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boxcryptor users - I have a few questions . . .: Up front: I have not yet installed Boxcryptor (or other similar software). Before giving it a try I would like to ask some questions. Maybe what I am thinking of isn't possible. Scenario now: on both my PC and laptop, my files are stored within a TrueCrypt like container, I...
  4. A few questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A few questions: Hi there! I am a 19-year old student studying Level 3 Print Media & Journalism in the UK, a Creative Media course. I recently purchased a HP Stream 11 laptop, which arrived yesterday. I bought it to do my college work during this period of all schools + colleges being...
  5. A few quick question about the new Edge and mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A few quick question about the new Edge and mail: Just ran into an odd issue that I don't know the source of. I mostly just use Outlook for my email client, but since edge has a share button with fast access to the Mail app, I sometimes use that to forward fun webpages to my family. Now I haven't done this in a while, and...
  6. A few DISM questions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A few DISM questions: A few Desktop shortcuts are blank, so I tried running DISM What is the average time for a scan to complete on a 2TB HDD? (mine took 10min.) 100% "No component store corruption detected." How to cancel DISM one it's started? Admin Commands used: “Dism /Online...
  7. Hi, I just installed Windows 10 - a few questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Hi, I just installed Windows 10 - a few questions: Hi everyone, I just installed Windows 10 last night. Would someone point me to an article that explains some procedures to do after a fresh install? Over on sevenforums, there was a page that talked about antivirus and stuff like that, to do after a clean install. Any...
  8. New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please): Hello, Brand new user. a. The new PC came with McAfee anti virus. Should I use it ? Is it as good as AVG, e.g., which I used on my old W7 PC ? Use them both ? b. And, how do I turn on the "Defender" anti virus which I understand is part of the W10 package ?...
  9. New 10 user, observations and questions

in Windows 10 Support
    New 10 user, observations and questions: Hi all. As I said in my first thread... this is my second... I migrated over from Sevrenforums.com, where I'd gone for support since 7 came out with my then-new Desktop PC. I was reluctant to try 10, thinking it was completely different in the way of user interface, and who...
  10. A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User

in Windows 10 Support
    A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User: Hello, Thanks for previous help. Sure is a lot to know. Blame it on old age now. A few questions, please: a. How can I have the PC, when it is shut off entirely, also shut off the Monitor (entirely) ? b. When not using overnight, is it "better" to let the PC go...