Windows 10: New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it?

Discus and support New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After 1803 update on this PC's Windows 10 Pro it created (disk 0 partition 3) never had this before on 1709. I update another PC same as this Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DrSysop, Apr 5, 2018.

1. DrSysop Win User

New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it?

After 1803 update on this PC's Windows 10 Pro it created (disk 0 partition 3) never had this before on 1709.
    I update another PC same as this Windows 10 Pro & it only had System Reserve 549 MB & The C Drive partition.
    I did a disk cleanup & deleted all & no change.

New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it? [​IMG]

DrSysop, Apr 5, 2018
  2. GIL
    gil Win User

Hi all,

My SSD is short on space, it's 240GB.

I've cleaned the new installation file using windows cleaner. However, I have a new partition which is 449MB.
    Under disk management, it shows as part of Disk 0 which is my C drive.
    It's description is 450MB NTFS, OEM Partition.

Can I reclaim it back?

Thanks.

:)

3. mech-tech Win User
    Creating partitions for removable disks in Windows.

Hello, how can we create partitions for removable disks in Windows. I tried it with a program but I took a notification as:
    The new created partition cannot be used in Windows. Windows could only recognize the first partition on a removable disk.

Thank you.

mech-tech, Apr 30, 2018
  4. Sam___ Win User

Disk partition problem

Hi Sparsh,

Can I fix this? I am unable to located the volume.

The answer to your question is no. You'll need to expand the partition you shrunk again to reclaim the space. You cannot convert the disk types of disks that contain the boot partition.

-Sam

Sam___, Apr 30, 2018
  5. That is the partition where Windows 10 Recovery tools are located. I highly suggest you leave it alone, or you might break your whole system. I recommend you try to find another solution for getting more space on your HDD/SSD. An external USB-drive could be a really good option. Or maybe run a full disk-cleanup with Windows built in tools.

slicendice, Apr 30, 2018
  6. GIL
    gil Win User
    Hi.

I did run a full disk cleanup.
    But this new partition never existed before. Are you saying that this is a new thing with the recent update?

7. No, it should have existed since initial Windows 10 install. All my computers has this partition.

slicendice, Apr 30, 2018
  8. GIL
    gil Win User

I honestly say this was never there. maybe it was hidden and now it's not.
    But I know exactly how many drives and partitions I have.
    This is very strange.

9. On an MBR formatted drive you should have 3 partitions and on and GPT (UEFI)formatted there should be four partitions.

I suggest you leave them intact for best Windows reliability.

slicendice, Apr 30, 2018
  10. GIL
    gil Win User

That's my current setup. It's GPT and has 3 partitions.

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can delete it and reclaim the space. Every function available from that partition is also available by booting from a Windows 10 installation flash drive or DVD. It's not going to be as easy as you think, though, because you also have a 4th partition in the way that does not appear in disk management - the Microsoft system reserved (MSR) partition. List the partitions using the diskpart command and you will see it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 30, 2018
  12. GIL
    gil Win User
    So it's ok to just have two partitions of C drive and the 100MB EFI system partition?

13. NavyLCDR New Member

That is debatable. Microsoft says the empty MSR partition is required. My computers run just fine without it. I think you need it if you plan to use Bitlocker. But you definitely do not need the 450mb "oem" partition which used to be called the recovery partition.

NavyLCDR, Apr 30, 2018
  14. ikjadoon Win User
    What's actually happened:

1803 added a driver letter to the partition. Slicendice is correct that these partitions have always existed, tucked away neatly in Disk Management, but for some reason, 1803 is adding a driver letter:

Now it does...for no reason. Many users have reported this here. And here. And here. Besides the un-needed drive letter, it's also been given storage warnings. So for me, I get these every ~30 minutes:

I imagine this issue will be more heavily reported on TenForums in the coming days and weeks, unless MS figures out what went wrong.

What's the recommended fix here? I think removing the drive letter via DISKPART (as the first link ^^ shows) will solve both the File Explorer appearance and the storage warnings, right?

ikjadoon, Apr 30, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, using the DISKPART commands will clear up the issue. FWIW, I went straight to MiniTool Partition Wizard (Free) when diskmgmt.msc came up short, and its right-click menu does the job just fine if you assign the offending partition a drive letter = "None". I'll blog about this issue and its frequent appearance tomorrow for Windows Enterprise Desktop. So far, it's showed up on only 1 of the 4 machines I've upgrade (1 more left to go, though).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 30, 2018
Thema:

1. New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it? - Similar Threads - 1803 version created

2. Creating new partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating new partition: I have an Asus ZenBook 14 Laptop. When I went to disk management I don't see any unallocated disk space but when I checked properties of the C: drive only one I have it shows I have 830 GB free. When I try to make a new partition there are only 50 GB available for it. Any...
  3. Creating new partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating new partition: I have an Asus ZenBook 14 Laptop. When I went to disk management I don't see any unallocated disk space but when I checked properties of the C: drive only one I have it shows I have 830 GB free. When I try to make a new partition there are only 50 GB available for it. Any...
  4. Two new primary partitions 450mb each appeared after I updated to 1903. Can I reclaim this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two new primary partitions 450mb each appeared after I updated to 1903. Can I reclaim this...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/9codeX [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fs6f9g/two_new_primary_partitions_450mb_each_appeared/
  5. Not able to create new partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to create new partition: Hi, I have 150 GB of free space in one partition and when I am trying to create a new partition out of it in the disk management, it is not happening. The mouse cursor just shows that some processing is happening but I am not seeing a new Unallocated space in my disk...
  6. New update creates new partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New update creates new partition: I just noticed after the recent windows update that I now have 2 recovery partitions on my computer and an F drive magically appeared. I can't remove either partition or hide them. Not sure if this is a new windows issue or if my machine is just going crazy. Any help/insight...
  7. New update creates new partition

in Windows 10 Support
    New update creates new partition: I just noticed after the recent windows update that I now have 2 recovery partitions on my computer and an F drive magically appeared. I can't remove either partition or hide them. Not sure if this is a new windows issue or if my machine is just going crazy. Any help/insight...
  8. new disk partition

new disk partition: Hi, my new notebook installed the windows 10, but the only drive that was created was the C: drive. I used the built-in disk management tool to partition the C: drive, but the new drive cannot be named D:, it is not in the options. Why is that ? Is there same way to make it...
  9. New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it?

New 1803 version created a new disk partition - Can I reclaim it?: Hi all, My SSD is short on space, it's 240GB. I've cleaned the new installation file using windows cleaner. However, I have a new partition which is 449MB. Under disk management, it shows as part of Disk 0 which is my C drive. It's description is 450MB NTFS, OEM Partition....
  10. Trying to create new disk partition, already 4 - Can I delete one?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to create new disk partition, already 4 - Can I delete one?: I'm trying to dual boot a Linux OS with my Windows 10 but there's already 4 partitions and it seems I can't create a new one for the Linux. Is it safe to delete one or these or another way to make a new partition? Where did these extra partitions come from anyways?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new dell created a new disk partition

2. windows creates disk 0 patition 3

3. !g can i delete oem partition windows 10

4. New 1803 version created a new disk partition