Windows 10: New Administrator account with windows 10 AU - not password protected

Discus and support New Administrator account with windows 10 AU - not password protected in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Last week, I got Windows 10 AU and now find that I have two admin accounts - my original admin account (password protected) and this new Admin account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Abstemious, Sep 22, 2016.

1. New Administrator account with windows 10 AU - not password protected

Last week, I got Windows 10 AU and now find that I have two admin accounts - my original admin account (password protected) and this new Admin account which is not password protected. I also have a password protected "work" account which I use on a daily basis.

I couldn't find a way of deleting the new account so looked at making it password protected but get a message " If you do this Administrator will lose all EFS-encripted files, personal certificates and stored passwords for web sites and network resources".

I certainly don't feel comfortable having an admin account that anyone can access - especially by a hijacker.

What would anyone suggest - leave as is or password protect. Incidently, I did come across something that I could deactivate the account but, in my low tech knowledge, it would still be there for a hijacker to damage my computer.

:)

Abstemious, Sep 22, 2016
  2. Rose Ter Win User

account

Hi Jenn,

If you don’t have a Microsoft account and forgot your local account password, you may check out this

link
    . This will provide you steps on how to reset your Windows 10 local account password. Regarding your other inquiry on how to create another local user account, kindly visit this

link
    for further assistance.

Feel free to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Sep 22, 2016
  3. Tried moving User system folders off SSD onto secondary HDD - created big mess - how to fix?

If I create a new account, by using the method described in the Microsoft Support
    Article ID: 4026923:

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

it will not be linked to my Microsoft account. That would be a disadvantage.

Unless you have in mind a different process for creating a new account?

Ian Mallee, Sep 22, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

New Administrator account with windows 10 AU - not password protected

run "control userpasswords2" and post image.

cereberus, Sep 22, 2016
  5. New Administrator account with windows 10 AU - not password protected [​IMG]

Thanks for the reply, cereberus.
    Not sure if this is the screen shot you are looking for.

The first popup asks Do you want to allow this app to make changes to the computer (or something similar - you can click on either Yes (which leads to the above image) or No which cancels the request.

Abstemious, Sep 22, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Sep 22, 2016
  7. As it is an administrator account with no password, can it be hacked by a hacker who knows where to find it on a computer.
    Can a hacker not install malware using this account?

Many thanks.

Abstemious, Sep 22, 2016
  8. New Administrator account with windows 10 AU - not password protected

No. Hackers usually go for the accounts that are actively used because they can find more information in there than in this hidden account. The fact that it is hidden means it'll hardly be found.

RoasterMen, Sep 22, 2016
  9. Thanks, Roasterman and cereberus.

Abstemious, Sep 22, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    You have to have physical access to pc to use this. I do not think it is possible to do this remotely, unless user hacked into pc anyway, and would then not need to do this.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

New Administrator account with windows 10 AU - not password protected

1. New Administrator account with windows 10 AU - not password protected - Similar Threads - Administrator account password

2. Can't add a password to administrator account windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't add a password to administrator account windows 10: Dear Microsoft Community,I have a rack of eight Windows 10 Dell computers. On all of them, the administrator account has no password. When I try to add a password I'm asked for the old password, and I just tab over to the new password because there isn't any password, and I'm...
  3. Can't add a password to administrator account windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't add a password to administrator account windows 10: Dear Microsoft Community,I have a rack of eight Windows 10 Dell computers. On all of them, the administrator account has no password. When I try to add a password I'm asked for the old password, and I just tab over to the new password because there isn't any password, and I'm...
  4. Password Protect my Account in Mail for Windows 10

Password Protect my Account in Mail for Windows 10: I use a shared computer on a shared account. We use Mail for Windows 10. Because of this, everyone's email accounts are visible to whoever is using the app. Is there a way to protect our accounts with our account password so this does not happen?...
  5. Windows 10 Administrator password vs MS Account Password

Windows 10 Administrator password vs MS Account Password: Shortly after converting from WIN 7 to WIN 10, I had a message from MS to setup my account password. This I did. It also had me do the PIN code for logging into my PC. Dell Laptop. Previously I had a theoretical Administrator PW of ABCD1234 MS didn't like it and told me...
  6. Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lost password for Windows 10 Local Administrator Account: Hi, I have lost my password for my local administrator account and am unable to reset it as it is not linked to my Microsoft Account. I am running Windows 10 version 1909 on an Acer Aspire 3 laptop. I can access my computer with my 'PIN' number, but would like to reset...
  7. Getting a new password as the administrator

Getting a new password as the administrator: Hi I'm the only admin for my Microsoft 345 account and have forgotten my password. When I ask to reset it it tells me to speak to my administrator which is me but when I go onto the admin portal it asks me to put in my old password to be able to change the password! Any...
  8. remove protected password administrator account in Win10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove protected password administrator account in Win10?: I pressed win logo + R and unchecked users must name and password. Why is my account still showing password protected? This has always been my Microsoft Account?...
  9. Administrator Account Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Administrator Account Password: Hi, Hope your having a great day. My annoying friend changed the password to the built in admin account and my account is a standard account. Is there anyway to change that password without using Group Policy, cmd or an elevated PowerShell. Thanks in advance....
  10. Is it possible to disable or password protect Safe Mode in Windows 10 for Administrators?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to disable or password protect Safe Mode in Windows 10 for Administrators?: I have installed Kaspersky Safekids application in Windows 10. My son can stop service of Safekids by using Safe mode. I have required to give administrators rights to my son. How can I block Safe mode? It is fine to completely remove Safe mode feature. I have tried...