Windows 10: Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC How to See Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC To the user, the system appears to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC

How to: Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC

How to See Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC

To the user, the system appears to be either on or off. There are no other detectable states. However, the system supports multiple power states that correspond to the power states defined in the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) specification. There are also variations of these states, such as hybrid sleep and fast startup.
    System power states describe the power consumption of the system as a whole. The operating system supports six system power states, referred to as S0 (fully on and operational) through S5 (power off). Each state is characterized by the following:
    • Power consumption: how much power does the computer use?
    • Software resumption: from what point does the operating system restart?
    • Hardware latency: how long does it take to return the computer to the working state?
    • System hardware context (such as the content of volatile processor registers, memory caches, and RAM): how much system hardware context is retained? Must the operating system reboot to return to the working state?
    State S0 is the working state. States S1, S2, S3, and S4 are sleeping states, in which the computer appears off because of reduced power consumption but retains enough context to return to the working state without restarting the operating system. State S5 is the shutdown or off state.

A system is waking when it is in transition from the shutdown state (S5) or any sleeping state (S1-S4) to the working state (S0), and it is going to sleep when it is in transition from the working state to any sleep state or the shutdown state. Some devices can wake the system from a sleeping state when certain events occur, such as an incoming call to a modem. In addition, on some computers, an external indicator tells the user that the system is merely sleeping.

With each successive sleep state, from S1 to S4, more of the computer is shut down. All ACPI-compliant computers shut off their processor clocks at S1 and lose system hardware context at S4 (unless a hibernate file is written before shutdown), as listed in the sections below. Details of the intermediate sleep states can vary depending on how the manufacturer has designed the machine. For example, on some machines certain chips on the motherboard might lose power at S3, while on others such chips retain power until S4. Furthermore, some devices might be able to wake the system only from S1 and not from deeper sleep states.

[table][tr][td]Power state[/td] [td]ACPI state[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Working[/td] [td]S0[/td] [td]The system is fully usable. Hardware components that are not in use can save power by entering a lower power state. Power consumption Maximum. However, the power state of individual devices can change dynamically as power conservation takes place on a per-device basis. Unused devices can be powered down and powered up as needed. Software resumption Not applicable. Hardware latency None. System hardware context All context is retained.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Sleep (wake from input from the keyboard, LAN, or a USB device. Hybrid sleep, used on desktops, is where a system uses a hibernation file with S1-S3. The hibernation file saves the system state in case the system loses power while in sleep. S1 Power consumption Less consumption than in S0 and greater than in the other sleep states. Processor clock is off and bus clocks are stopped. S1 Software resumption Control restarts where it left off. S1 Hardware latency Typically no more than two seconds. S1 System hardware context All context retained and maintained by hardware. S2 Power consumption Less consumption than in state S1 and greater than in S3. Processor is off. Bus clocks are stopped; some buses might lose power. S2 Software resumption After wake-up, control starts from the processor's reset vector. S2 Hardware latency Two seconds or more; greater than or equal to the latency for S1. S2 System hardware context CPU context and system cache contents are lost. S3 Power consumption Less consumption than in state S2. Processor is off and some chips on the motherboard also might be off. S3 Software resumption After the wake-up event, control starts from the processor's reset vector. S3 Hardware latency Almost indistinguishable from S2. S3 System hardware context Only system memory is retained. CPU context, cache contents, and chipset context are lost.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Hibernate[/td] [td]S4[/td] [td]The system appears to be off. Power consumption is reduced to the lowest level. The system saves the contents of volatile memory to a hibernation file to preserve system state. Some components remain powered so the computer can wake from input from the keyboard, LAN, or a USB device. The working context can be restored if it is stored on nonvolatile media. Fast startup is where the user is logged off before the hibernation file is created. This allows for a smaller hibernation file, more appropriate for systems with less storage capabilities. Power consumption Off, except for trickle current to the power button and similar devices. Software resumption System restarts from the saved hibernate file. If the hibernate file cannot be loaded, rebooting is required. Reconfiguring the hardware while the system is in the S4 state might result in changes that prevent the hibernate file from loading correctly. Hardware latency Long and undefined. Only physical interaction returns the system to the working state. Such interaction might include the user pressing the ON switch or, if the appropriate hardware is present and wake-up is enabled, an incoming ring for the modem or activity on a LAN. The machine can also awaken from a resume timer if the hardware supports it. System hardware context None retained in hardware. The system writes an image of memory in the hibernate file before powering down. When the operating system is loaded, it reads this file and jumps to its previous location.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Soft Off[/td] [td]S5[/td] [td]The system appears to be off. This state is comprised of a full shutdown and boot cycle. Power consumption Off, except for trickle current to devices such as the power button. Software resumption Boot is required upon awakening. Hardware latency Long and undefined. Only physical interaction, such as the user pressing the ON switch, returns the system to the working state. The BIOS can also awaken from a resume timer if the system is so configured. System hardware context None retained.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Mechanical Off[/td] [td]G3[/td] [td]The system is completely off and consumes no power. The system returns to the working state only after a full reboot.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

For more information, see:
    This tutorial will explain and show you how to see the sleep states available on your Windows 10 PC.

Here's How:

1. Open a command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow powercfg -a

Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC [​IMG]

Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC [​IMG]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 6, 2016

2. Need a simple straightforward answer regarding sleep in Windows 10

I should probably have clarified a little, of the 4 sleep states potentially offered by PC hardware (normally referred to as S0, S1, S2, and S3), which of these needs to be available in order for Windows 10 to force "sleep"?

powercfg /a, reports the "sleep states available", and lists also those sleep states which are not available. In addition to the "hardware" sleep states, powercfg refers also to "Hibernate", "Fast Startup", and "Hybrid sleep" as additional sleep states.

Since the powercfg info for my machines offers no clues as to which (if any) combinations are required, I was hoping someone at Microsoft actually knew what was required.

I have already tried your suggestions, the only result being that my machines now attempt to go to sleep sooner than they used to. Sigh.

So, no, your suggestions were not in the least helpful, and in fact suggested that you had failed to understand the problem, which still exists.

TomTiddler167, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Mala_S Win User

Windows 10 - Wakes immediately from sleep.

Hello t4ord,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Sleep mode saves the state of all open applications to memory, then powers down both the display panel and hard disk drive. However, if it often wakes up from Sleep mode, you need to change the Sleep settings under Power &
    sleep. You can also refer this link regarding shutdown, sleep,
    or hibernate your PC.

If that doesn’t help, kindly check with the steps listed below and see if it works.

Method 1: Restore default settings of power plan.

Let’s restore the power settings to its default and check if it makes any difference. To do that,

• Go to Control Panel and select Power Options.
    • Click on Change advanced power settings.
    • Select the option Restore default settings for this plan.

Method 2: I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the following article and see if it helps.

Let us know the results. Will be glad to assist you further, if the issue persists.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10 Sleeps too soundly

Hello,

As per your concern about accessing the task after the waking the system from sleep mode, we will help you with this issue.

Sleep mode is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep
    state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Follow the below steps to disable sleep mode in Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Steps to completely disable sleep mode

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, and click on Settings.
    • Click on System, and on Power & Sleep
    • Now, under Sleep section, you will see two options:
    • On battery power, PC goes to sleep after
    • When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after
    4. For both options, expand the drop-down menu and select Never.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  6. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - Sleep States Available

2. Sleep option not available in windows 10!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep option not available in windows 10!!: On my new windows 10 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu. I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't...
  3. Sleep option not available in windows 10!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep option not available in windows 10!!: On my new windows 10 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu. I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't...
  4. Sleep option not available in windows 10!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 laptop and it states something happened to you and your pin isn’t available...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 laptop and it states something happened to you and your pin isn’t available...: Windows 11 laptop and it states something happened to you and your pin isn’t available click to set up your pin again. When I click on set up my pin it does not allow me to set it up It gives me the option to either look for an app in the Microsoft store or just recycles back...
  6. Windows 11 laptop and it states something happened to you and your pin isn’t available...

Windows 11 laptop and it states something happened to you and your pin isn’t available...: Windows 11 laptop and it states something happened to you and your pin isn’t available click to set up your pin again. When I click on set up my pin it does not allow me to set it up It gives me the option to either look for an app in the Microsoft store or just recycles back...
  7. Sleep states not available on system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep states not available on system: Hi,My laptop does not enter sleep, instead it enters hibernate. I ran powercfg /a, and got the following:The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected HibernateThe following sleep states are not available on this system:...
  8. Sleep states not available on system

Sleep states not available on system: Hi,My laptop does not enter sleep, instead it enters hibernate. I ran powercfg /a, and got the following:The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected HibernateThe following sleep states are not available on this system:...
  9. sleep state is strange

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep state is strange: Hi.After recent win10 21H1 updates 2021/10/2~6, my PC sleeps ? in a strange way.1. PC enters sleep state S3 immediately after pushing power buttonEventData TargetState 4 EffectiveState 4 Reason 0 Flags 1 TransitionsToOn 7 2. PC wakes up automatically from sleep state after...
  10. window states "driver not available"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    window states "driver not available": I have been operating an HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 over a wireless for couple of years. Recently had a Windows update and now the printer seems to be not working. Window settings shows "driver not available". I've downloaded and ran the install drivers program. Yet, the...