Windows 10: New Build - Win10 Home x64 - 2x BSODs, Partial Boot Issue

Discus and support New Build - Win10 Home x64 - 2x BSODs, Partial Boot Issue in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've built an entirely new system over the last few days and I'm having some unexpected issues with Windows 10 Home x64 and it's driving me insane.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Turboxide, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Turboxide Win User

New Build - Win10 Home x64 - 2x BSODs, Partial Boot Issue

I've built an entirely new system over the last few days and I'm having some unexpected issues with Windows 10 Home x64 and it's driving me insane. This new build, and all components in the build are brand new... Software wise, I purchased a new key and used the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool to perform a fresh install. The other PCs in my home run Windows 10 with no little to no issues at all so I'm very concerned that I have a driver/hardware issue.

Build Components
    System Builder - Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core, Radeon R9 390X 8GB, Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker

Installation Procedure
    • Initial Boot to UEFI - Verified All Peripheral's Connected and Configured UEFI Settings (SSD & HDD set to AHCI) to allow boot priority to SSD & USB.
    • RESTART - Booted to USB with Media Creation Tool. Selected SSD on SATA Port 0 for installation.
    • INSTALL - No issues encountered, rebooted and installed LAN drivers to access internet. Began driver installation for MB, SSD and GPU. Restarted for windows updates and updated UEFI to latest version.
    • Boot Failure - Windows Logo with black screen, no cursor. Restarted and entered UEFI to check boot settings, noticed a "Windows Boot Manager Port 0 SSD" and "SSD Port 0" option. Set to Windows Boot Manager, restarted and failed twice. Set to SSD and failed twice. Set to Windows Boot Manager and it finally booted to desktop. Some failures were a blue windows 10 logo with no mouse, no circle, nothing... other times "Preparing for Automatic Recovery" and one occasion it hung on the UEFI splash screen.
    • Finished Windows Updates, completed all driver installations, begin software installation. Restart to verify everything and tweak UEFI settings and again, same issues with booting. Finally managed to get recovery to work, selected option for system restore point and it took me back to the first restart with no drivers installed.
    • Inserted Media Creation Tool, deleted all SSD partitions and reinstalled Windows 10. I delayed the LAN driver until I had ALL driver's installed (including Samsung Magician) and then I installed the LAN driver and rebooted.
    • After Windows updates, everything was smooth, no issue with booting, and the "Windows Boot Manager" partition was gone, only "Port 0 SSD" in UEFI.
    • Restarted after a few updates and the system booted to a black screen with windows logo, no mouse, no status circle indicator. Restarted and it was fine.
    • After joining my LAN home group and renaming the PC to match the scheme on my LAN I attempted to access another Windows 10 PC on my network and I got the first BSOD. Happened so fast I couldn't write the code down.
    • Restarted fine, continued with file transfers and software.
    • Today, another BSOD with "BSOD DRIVE IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (lltdio.sys)" restarted fine and here I am.

My concern, I intend to overclock this system and without some semblance of stability, I cannot proceed. I'm not fully versed with Windows 10 but I have been keeping an eye on Event Viewer and both times I experienced the BSOD it was when accessing my LAN. The boot issue lingers but it's not nearly as bad for this second installation. Any help or assistance you can provide would be incredibly useful and appreciated. *Smile

:)

Turboxide, Feb 15, 2016
  2. rvail317 Win User

"upgrade in place" Win10 Home x64 TH2 (build 10586) to Win10 Home x64 AU

Thanks for your reply.

However, your linked page with the screen captures varies from what I'm seeing, after "Wait while Windows 10 setup checks your system." At that point, I'm getting a screen where the 25 character activation code
    must be entered, with no "skip" option. And: your set of screen captures example is for upgrading Windows 10
    Pro, where my issue is with upgrading Windows 10 Home x64. The upgrade procedure for Pro does not halt and require typing in the activation code, whereas the Home upgrade procedure does require, with no "skip" option.

Note: the PC originally came from the factory with Win7 Home x64 installed, and was subsequently upgraded by the customer to Win10 Home x64 TH2.

The 2 separate issues are:

1. What is the link for the proper .iso file recommended for creating the USB thumb drive which can then be used for "in place" ( not "clean install") update upgrading a Win10
    Home x64 TH2 system to Win 10 Home x64 AU (build 14393)?

2. Why does the .iso version [converted to a USB thumb drive, that's already proved capable of updating Win10
    Pro TH2 to AU (build 14393)] insist on being given a 25 character code when the
    Home version PC's Win10 TH2 version is already currently running & activated?

Note: AFAIK, a single USB thumb drive (of at least 8 Gb) could be created that would be able to update both Win10 Pro x64 and Home x64 to AU build 14393, and that could serve dual-duty as both a "clean install" media as well as an "update in place install"
    media. When used to "clean install", one could boot the system from the USB thumb drive, delete all existing HD/SSD partitions & create new partitions, install Win10 x64 AU build 14393, skip entering the 25 character code, then after eventually booting to
    the Windows desktop, type in the previously used 25 character code that was activated before doing the complete HD wipe and clean install. The particular 25 character code being used would then determine which Windows 10 version would become finalized: Pro
    vs. Home.

rvail317, Feb 15, 2016
  3. rvail317 Win User
    "upgrade in place" Win10 Home x64 TH2 (build 10586) to Win10 Home x64 AU

rvail317, Feb 15, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

lifetec, Feb 15, 2016
  5. Turboxide Win User
    @lifetec - Wow, the installation I used is that exact one, is Windows 10 installing it's own driver perhaps afterwards? I'll certainly keep an eye on the Ethernet driver and reinstall the latest version, again.

As for the intermittent boot issues, any ideas there? My concern is that I've frelled up the Windows 10 installation or missed a crucial step/option. Could the lack of a solid Ethernet driver cause the boot issues as well?

Turboxide, Feb 15, 2016
  6. Turboxide Win User
    I checked the drivers in the download from Gigabyte and they are the same ones as I have installed. I went to Killer's website and installed Killer Networking - Killer Suite it directly which updates the driver to version 8.1.0.31 dated, 9/22/2015. I haven't tested it yet but during the installation I booted to a black screen with a cursor and had to reset the system again. It's back up on the desktop now but the boot issue is still here.

Turboxide, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New Build - Win10 Home x64 - 2x BSODs, Partial Boot Issue - Similar Threads - Build Win10 Home

2. BSOD during Win10 Install on new build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD during Win10 Install on new build: Hey there, I finished my new PC and am trying to use the media creation tool to install windows 10, however during the installation process usually early on after copying files I get a BSOD and my system restarts. I can get into the Bios and all my components are shown there....
  3. BSOD during Win10 Install on new build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD during Win10 Install on new build: Hey there, I finished my new PC and am trying to use the media creation tool to install windows 10, however during the installation process usually early on after copying files I get a BSOD and my system restarts. I can get into the Bios and all my components are shown there....
  4. BSOD during Win10 Install on new build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10

Problems dual booting 2x Win10 & even 1x Win7 1x Win10: I'm no pro by the way guys so go easy :) So for 10 years or so i have had 2 Windows 7 installs on a dual boot / multi boot and before that the same with XP. To save time we'll not get in to the whys and why nots. I appreciate it's not the usual dual boot setup, you usually...
  6. BSOD 2x today

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD 2x today: My windows 10 PC crashed twice without running any CPU-demanding applications. This PC has been fairly reliable until now. Needs help to debug. BlueScreen view seems to indicate the problem is related to hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe as follows: [ATTACH] The minidump file:...
  7. Random BSOD Win10 Pro x64 Build 1703

Random BSOD Win10 Pro x64 Build 1703: Hello guys, this BSOD is actually for my wife's desktop, which has been having this random BSOD for quite a while now, so the crash log zip includes a bunch of dump files, I can't stand it anymore, so want to get some help from the pros *Wink You can probably see from the...
  8. BSOD on "Cold Boot" New Build

BSOD on "Cold Boot" New Build: This forum is my last hope. So i have built a new system and from the moment i pushed the start button it always had BSOD's. Let me explain. I clean installed windows 10 on new SSD 850 EVO and i also installed the latest drivers from asus website with the proper order. When i...
  9. Frequent BSOD shortly after bootup (Win10 x64 home)

Frequent BSOD shortly after bootup (Win10 x64 home): I have an Asus G73jh laptop. I upgraded from Win7 x64 to Win10 x64. Shortly after logging into Win 10, I frequently get a BSOD with "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" or a hard freeze. It sometimes occurs right after I see my desktop background, and sometimes a minute later. This...
  10. Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs?

Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs?: I have a pretty hardcore laptop from work, which i am also allowed to use for private use, so I have installed an ekstra SSD disk in the laptop and i was wondering if it was possible to install win 10 on that one and then get an option when i boot the pc, which disk/os i want...