Windows 10: New Build Won't Install

Discus and support New Build Won't Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm currently running 11082 and Windows update is attempting to push 14257 out to me but it's failing to install. The update downloads ok, but when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cls, Feb 10, 2016.

1. CLS
    cls Win User

New Build Won't Install

I'm currently running 11082 and Windows update is attempting to push 14257 out to me but it's failing to install. The update downloads ok, but when I restart I boot into the windows repair menu instead of the upgrade screen. I've tried to do an automatic repair, but when attempting that I get the message "the drive windows is installed on is locked"

The only thing I can do is reboot, at which point I boot right back into 11082 with no problems.

I have no idea why the update isn't installing and I don't even know where to go look for an error message or something like that.... any help?

:)

2. New Win 10 build 15031

That definitely woudn't affect your games when you play it on the new build,,

The new build will just enhance some features on the Insider program//Windows 10 and it won't affect the apps or games installed..

Gina_on_the_thread, Feb 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 USB 3.0 error 0xc0000225 won't work!

Since it's a new build it will definitely be UEFI so the media has to be booted as UEFI flash stick or it won't install.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 10, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

New Build Won't Install

Hi cls and welcome to Tenforums.

First, turn off Fast Startup

To understand what this is/does (it was first introduced in Windows 8):
    “Fast Startup (aka: hybrid boot or hybrid Shutdown) is a new feature in Windows 8 to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows 8 does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate) method that saves only the kernel session and device drivers (system information) to the hibernate (hiberfil.sys) file on disk instead of closing it when you shut down your PC. This also makes the hiberfil.sys file to be much smaller than what hibernate would use (often 4GB or more). When you start your PC again, Windows 8 uses that saved system information to resume your system instead of having to do a cold boot to fully restart it. Using this technique with boot gives a significant advantage for boot times, since reading the hiberfile in and reinitializing drivers is much faster on most systems (30-70% faster on most systems tested). If you have a motherboard with UEFI, then fast startup will be even faster.”

Problem is, when you shutdown your system and then restart it, if your "hibernated info" is corrupted, W10 will try to load it, and can fail with an error that the drive is locked.

Then, grab the esd file from your 14257 download:
    Show hidden files
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\install.esd

Use the tutorial here to convert to an ISO, then mount the ISO and run it from within your current 11082. Make sure all other drives and external devices are disconnected when doing the upgrade.

*Please make sure you have imaged your drive before doing this, in case you need to go back.*

Hope that helps!

simrick, Feb 10, 2016
  5. CLS
    cls Win User
    Well, that didn't exactly "work" but I am getting somewhere. I disabled fast startup, created the ISO and attempted an update. It still failed in exactly the same way, after it first restarted it booted me into a the recovery startup menu.

However, after rebooting out of that, my 11082 build did boot right up and the Windows 10 Setup wizard was on my screen with an actual error message.

OxC1900101 - 0x20017
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during boot operation.

So I'm not exactly sure that that means... but now that I at least have some more info I'm hoping someone can advise further. Setup error log is attached.

6. simrick Win User
    Failure right after the first boot is a driver issue. I'll have a look at your log.
    In the meantime, please run sfc /scannow and CHKDSK on your OS drive.

simrick, Feb 10, 2016
  7. CLS
    cls Win User
    I had already ran chkdsk successfully and had started an SFC /SCANNOW run, which looks like it's "stuck" at about 58%. I may not be giving it enough time, but it was steadily moving along until it hit this snag and has been stuck for maybe 30 minutes now? Not sure what to do here... but that's probably not a great sign?

One of the google links i hit regarding my error suggested that removing bluetooth drivers might help, and I *did* add a bluetooth adapter to my machine recently. But I uninstalled those drivers and tried the update again, it still failed. Perhaps I needed to unplug the adapter as well..

8. simrick Win User

New Build Won't Install

Let it go. It may take some time. Reboot and run it again. I'd like to see you run it at least 3 times, (rebooting after each run), or until you get the message "no integrity violations found".

I am seeing "vclone.sys" errors, "asmbsw.dll" errors, "IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll" errors and printer errors.

I need you to fill in your system specs. I specifically would like to know your Processor.

Do you have a Macrium image of your OS and all data backed up before we do this?

Once the sfc is completed 3x, if there are still "errors that cannot be repaired", please type in the box Code: findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"[/quote] and post the text file it saves on your desktop.

****************once I have seen the sfcdetails.log******************
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    Since you're having this trouble, I will go back to some recommendations from early-on upgrades:
    - remove all peripherals (printers, USB flash devices, external HDDs, BT, etc., everything except keyboard, mouse and monitor)
    - uninstall any 3rd party AV, HDD monitoring software, MSNMessenger/Windows Live components (seems to be corrupt/missing?)
    - uninstall your printer, all drivers and software
    - if you've moved your libraries, move them back for now
    - open device manager and go through each one, right-clicking and auto-checking for updates.
    - run disk cleanup, deleting old OS files (Windows.old) - if you need instructions please let me know.

Run the upgrade "disconnected" from the internet; chose update drivers later if the option appears.

EDIT: Yes, I am seeing a network error as well - that could be the BT.

simrick, Feb 10, 2016
  9. CLS
    cls Win User
    I can't seem to figure out how fill out my system specs in profile but:

Processor: Intel i7 3770k
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene-Z
    Video Card: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX670
    RAM: 16gb

• SFC completed and I've since run it twice more, both of these last two runs returned "did not find any integrity violations" I've attached the CBS logs with today's entries.
    • I don't have any AV or HD monitoring software installed.
    • I ran through the disk cleanup process about a week ago, will do so again
    • Attempted to update all of my device drivers as requested.
    • My printer is network (if that matters) but I will uninstall that device
    • I will uninstall the bluetooth adapter again (and physically remove it)
    • I will remove all usb devices

Then I'll try the upgrade again and report back with results.

10. simrick Win User
    Okay thanks.
    Here's how to do it:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Okay, since we've now got a clean bill of health from SFC, and everything is physically removed, yes go ahead and disconnect from the internet and try running setup.exe from within the OS and upgrade that way.

simrick, Feb 10, 2016
  11. CLS
    cls Win User
    After taking all th steps mentioned above and also disabling my network adapter, the upgrade failed again in exactly the same manner. Upon restart it tries to boot into the "Setup" process and almost immediately fails to the recovery menu.

Same error from the setup wizard when I got back into my 11082 build of windows. *Sad I've uploaded my latest setuperr.log but that isn't telling *me* much. (I do see it still complain about a printer even though I removed it from device manager)

This is getting frustrating... anything else we can think of to investigate or try?

12. simrick Win User
    Yeah, I'm seeing the same errors as before.
    Well, I'm running out of ideas. I suppose, you could make a Macrium image of your HDD, then try a clean install using your newly created ISO from the ESD file? If it won't clean install, you can at least restore the 11082 from the image. FWIW, I've seen some people complaining about serious problems with this new build on some systems...maybe your system needs to stay away from it for a while? *Wink

simrick, Feb 11, 2016
  13. CLS
    cls Win User

New Build Won't Install

Thanks for all the help.

Seems like maybe I should just sit this release out and try again when the next build is released. If it still fails then I'll have to think about a fresh install.

14. simrick Win User
    Sounds like a plan! Sorry we couldn't get it installed, but maybe it's for the best.

simrick, Feb 11, 2016
  15. CLS
    cls Win User
    To close the loop on this... I did end up figuring out my issue.

I tried to to a clean install, but after booting off the USB drive the Windows Setup program was unable to see the SSD I use as a system drive, although it could see the larger hybrid drive I use for data.... weird.

So I rebooted and checked BIOS and sure enough, the SSD wasn't showing up in the SATA configuration... which is real odd because it was listed as a boot option and the computer would boot into the Windows install on that drive with no problem... so it must've been seeing it at some point?

Anyways, I just re-seated the SATA cable which got the drive showing up in BIOS. After doing that, the windows 10 upgrade succeeded without any issue.

I can't imagine this is a typical problem, but again, just wanted to close the loop.

Thema:

New Build Won't Install

1. New Build Won't Install - Similar Threads - Build Won't Install

2. Installing windows on a new build but USB won't load

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing windows on a new build but USB won't load: Hello, I have built a new PC and trying to install windows on it via a USB. The computer was able to boot the USB once but it when I selected 64 bit it gave me an error message and the PC restarted. Once it restarted it tried to boot the USB again but it was just a blank...
  3. Windows 10 Won't install on new pc build

Windows 10 Won't install on new pc build: I have seen questions with similar issues but the suggested fixes haven't worked for me. I just finished building a pc with the following specs: ryzen 7 5800x B550 ds3h motherboard Radeon RX 580 GPU Vengeance pro 32gb ram in slots 2 and 4 as specified in the manual EVGA...
  4. Windows 10 won't install on new build

Windows 10 won't install on new build: BIOSTAR RACING Z490A-SILVER motherboard I cannot install Windows 10 on the new computer my Son and I built. I have no problem running UBUNTU, but Windows just won’t load. I have a retail installation USB key to load from and I’ve also tried downloading a fresh install from...
  5. Install Windows on a New Build

Install Windows on a New Build: I'm working remotely because of COVID with my grandson to build a Windows computer. He is a real newbie and is paying for everything himself so I don't want to waste is money. Unfortunately, the case that he bought does not have the ability to mount a DVD drive. Being...
  6. New build issue with installation

New build issue with installation: Hi all I just got my last few parts for my build and now am having trouble with the installation of the os and other needed things. I have a MSI z270-a pro motherboard a msi gtx GeForce 8970 gpu i3-7100 7th gen cpu 16 gb of ddr4 ram and a current 1 tb ssd these are all...
  7. Installation on a new build

Installation on a new build: Hi, just after some advice. I am looking to build a new PC, and wasn't planning to install a DVD drive. Can I install Windows 10 completely from the USB version, or will it still need to download most of the operating system? I would prefer not to connect to the internet...
  8. New PC Build won't install Realtek Drivers on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New PC Build won't install Realtek Drivers on Windows 10: Hello! I've built a PC with Ryzen 4 1600 processor and Windows 10. The install of Windows went smoothly, all drivers are up-to-date and functioning correctly; Except Realtek audio. I've downloaded the latest drivers and tried to install them (restarting the computer when...
  9. clean install on new build, but system won't reboot

clean install on new build, but system won't reboot: I built a desktop. Asus Z170, Intel I7 6700, Geforce GTX 1060. Everything appears to work, system boots to bios. I did a clean install of Windows 10 pro from a USB stick, it installed and windows appeared on the screen. I am able to surf, do updates, play around... it's all...
  10. New build won't let me install Windows

New build won't let me install Windows: Here is my build - Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 960 4GB - System Build - PCPartPicker So this has been a nightmare for the past two days trying to get everything installed correctly and to actually boot up and allow me to install windows from my USB drive. I...