Windows 10: New buy

Discus and support New buy in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I was hoping some of u could help me out in picking a desktop that will still be good in 3 to 4 yrs and I will be able to upgrade it at that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bruinator, Jan 17, 2016.

1. bruinator Win User

New buy

Hi Guys, I was hoping some of u could help me out in picking a desktop that will still be good in 3 to 4 yrs and I will be able to upgrade it at that point as well. I am looking to spend around $500 on it. I am not a gamer nor do i do any editing on videos. I would like to have a good amount of RAM on it and have slots to add on its own video card if i want to do, maybe use an ssd if it doesnt come with one, like to have minimum 6 usb slots if possible and so on. I would greatly appreciate ur help.

thx

:)

bruinator, Jan 17, 2016
  2. pauli2003 Win User

Buying new credit

Yes, I did try the Contact Us form, but I was unable to send the form because the form would not let me "choose a language". As this is a mandatory field, I could not send the form and had to resort to the forum.

This is quite a pain...

Thanks for welcoming me anyway...

pauli2003, Jan 17, 2016
  3. Buying a new phone

Can you tell me does 5800 have same price as 5230? If you could read my first post i've clearly mentioned my budget.

blueheartz, Jan 17, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

New buy

jds63, Jan 17, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Since you have only modest requirements, you should be able to easily find a good box for $500. As far as the future is concerned, who knows. Tomorrow they may come up with some spectacular new thing and all our boxes will look like old iron.

The main upgrade (which you should do yourself) should be an SSD. SSDs are reasonably priced when you buy them individually but expensive when they come with the box. It is better to go for an after market upgrade.

6. bruinator Win User
    more replies are most welcomed and appreciated.

thx

bruinator, Jan 18, 2016
  7. unifex Win User
    I'll give you my example. I'm using a PC that I built in 2012. I got an i5 processor (something like 3570K), that was mid-range at the time, a motherboard that had the right socket and USB3.0 ports, and the rest can be anything you want (everything else can be easily upgraded later). Oh, and the video card is some used cheap ATI card I bought on eBay. It keeps my "Windows score" down to 4, but what do I care? The PC works without any problems. I have no plans to "upgrade" or replace it. Surely, nowadays you can get way more computing power. But guess what? I don't need it.

That's the main trick with "futureproofing". If you want to make sure you have the latest and greatest gear, you have to buy new hardware every few months. Personally, I don't see a point of having a machine with huge resources that you don't use. You can guess that I'm not a gamer. All software that I need for work runs perfectly well on my machine. Whatever I need from the internet I get faster then I can make a cup of tea - that's my personal speed requirement. My idea of an upgrade - if I find a new task fro which my PC is inadequate, then I buy or build new one.

unifex, Jan 18, 2016
  8. bruinator Win User

New buy

Guys, the reason i am asking this is since I bought my pc in either 2112 or 13. It came with windows 7 or 8 with it. I installed windows 10 on it in Sept. After the 1st yr of using it, I constantly get "not responding" issues with it no matter the OS. It happens when ever it wants to and doesnt matter what I am doing whether it is googling, checking out a list of things on windows explorer., viewing outlook or watching videos. I am sick of it happening. I dont know if it is just this POS of an HP presario p2-119 or what. I have done various tests on it for malware, virus, memory issues, HD issues, re-install the OS, tried different browsers.....etc.

This is why I am thinking on buying a new PC for a little more money. So if someone can help me out i would appreciate it.

thx

bruinator, Jan 18, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Why buy a new PC when you seem to have an OS problem. I would reload Windows 7.

10. caperjack Win User
    YUPP,i would buy a ssd hard drive ,and reinstall win10

caperjack, Jan 18, 2016
  11. bruinator Win User
    so u guys think it is a hardware error that is causing a "not responding error"? If so, is the issue with my HD and an SSD would solve it? Plz let me know.

thx

bruinator, Jan 19, 2016
  12. caperjack Win User
    to rule out hardrive as the fault ,do a test of the harddrive, got to the hdd makers website/support and get there harddrive utility and follow there instructions to run the test ,best to do it from a boot device

caperjack, Jan 19, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

New buy

That does not look like a HDD problem and a SSD would not help. But SSDs are nice to have.

14. bruinator Win User
    How do I find out what the problem is then, plz?

bruinator, Jan 19, 2016
  15. bruinator , if this was my system I wouldn't invest in a new system yet. I would first physically open up the box and make sure there are no obstructions blocking fan airflow near the processor or pwr supply. Then vacuum out the unit well.

You can go to Microsoft's website and download a link to burn a windows 10 ISO to DVD (for faster upgrading). Here's a link to the ISO upgrade page Download Windows 10
    If you've installed any additional hardware...memory, graphic card, etc...before the problem started, I'd remove it.
    I would then back up all I need, blow away the system, reformat the hard drive, and reload the original O.S. Then take the Windows 10 ISO DVD and do a clean upgrade to windows 10.

After 10 is running well. I'd reinstall removed hardware one at a time and watch performance as I go. Install a good antivirus and see how she runs.

Jose Davis, Jan 19, 2016
Thema:

New buy

1. New buy - Similar Threads - buy

2. How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?: Currently remoting into my PC from my samsung tablet. I got most of my mouse functionality that I want, including right click, and scroll. However a key feature I'm missing is middle click. I'm aware that windows touchpad allows triple tapping to engage middle mouse, however...
  3. How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?: Currently remoting into my PC from my samsung tablet. I got most of my mouse functionality that I want, including right click, and scroll. However a key feature I'm missing is middle click. I'm aware that windows touchpad allows triple tapping to engage middle mouse, however...
  4. How do I get the touchpad option in my settings without buying a trackpad?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Trying to buy MSFS: can not select province of Ontario change country/region from United...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to buy MSFS: can not select province of Ontario change country/region from United...: I'm trying to buy from https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/microsoft-flight-simulator-premium-deluxe-40th-anniversary-edition/9PJ15D3RDXMV/0010when selecting 'buy' and choosing cc payment, I'm unable to select my Canadian address. My MS account setting and my PC region...
  6. Trying to buy MSFS: can not select province of Ontario change country/region from United...

Trying to buy MSFS: can not select province of Ontario change country/region from United...: I'm trying to buy from https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/microsoft-flight-simulator-premium-deluxe-40th-anniversary-edition/9PJ15D3RDXMV/0010when selecting 'buy' and choosing cc payment, I'm unable to select my Canadian address. My MS account setting and my PC region...
  7. I bought Office Home and Student but don't need it. Best buy can not refund.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I bought Office Home and Student but don't need it. Best buy can not refund.: I bought my dad office home and student but he already has an office subscription. I traveled to Oklahoma for his 92nd birthday to set up his new computer system which I purchase from Best Buy. I was not told when I ordered the computer that I could not return the Office...
  8. I bought Office Home and Student but don't need it. Best buy can not refund.

I bought Office Home and Student but don't need it. Best buy can not refund.: I bought my dad office home and student but he already has an office subscription. I traveled to Oklahoma for his 92nd birthday to set up his new computer system which I purchase from Best Buy. I was not told when I ordered the computer that I could not return the Office...
  9. I bought Office Home and Student but don't need it. Best buy can not refund.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. How do I return my Microsoft Office Key I purchased on 4/13/2024? Best Buy told me to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I return my Microsoft Office Key I purchased on 4/13/2024? Best Buy told me to...: How do I return my Microsoft Office Key I purchased on 4/13/2024? Best Buy told me to contact you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-return-my-microsoft-office-key-i/cb313bd3-d59b-4d9a-b2ac-8571dfb2d321