Windows 10: New computer. Allocating drives.

Discus and support New computer. Allocating drives. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am new to this forum (Thank you for letting me be part of this Forum group) and to my new computer Desktop running Win 10 Pro (Intel i7-7700K... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Foxhaven, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Foxhaven Win User

New computer. Allocating drives.

Hello,
    I am new to this forum (Thank you for letting me be part of this Forum group) and to my new computer Desktop running Win 10 Pro (Intel i7-7700K processor).
    The new computer has three HDs. One 256Gb SSD (designated c*Smile containing the OS and all my apps (e.g. Photoshop Elements, MS Office 2016, etc.). A new 1.0Tb HD (designated i*Smile plus my old 500Gb HD designated e: System files and f*Smile.
    What I want to do is run the OS and all apps from the SSD and put all my Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc on the 1Tb HD. I kept the old HD so that I could more easily transfer all my pictures and docs to the new drives.
    I am now getting messages that the SSD is running out of room as I transferred all my documents and pictures to the "Documents - Pictures - Music - Videos" folders under "This PC".
    How can I change the "Documents - Pictures - Music - Videos" folders so that they are on the HD i: drive and leave the apps on the SSD c: drive?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

Foxhaven, Sep 3, 2017

2. Toshiba 3.0 USB External Hard Drive and Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience and we will surely help you to resolve the issue.

In order to understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

1. Have you allocated drive letter for the external drive?

2. Do you get any prompt when you connect the external drive to your PC?

3. Is the external device getting detected under Disk Management.?

4. Are the files detected on any other computer?

5. what is the make and model of PC?

Connect the same hard drive to other computer and check if it is getting detected.

I suggest you to change the Drive letter of the USB drive after the Device is getting detected in Device Management.

Right click on the drive>Click on Rename.

Unallocated drives are those whose drive letters are not allocated when initially partitioned. You will be able to view the drive on your PC if you have allocated a drive name for the partition created. The drive will not be visible
    on the PC if you do not allocate a drive letter or a drive name.

Allocate a drive letter to the HDD by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

a. Connect the HDD to the PC.

b. Open Run command by pressing Windows Key + R keys on the keyboard, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

c. Right click on the Unallocated disk drive and select New Simple Volume option. Follow the onscreen instructions where in the process you will get to a window where you can allocate a drive name for the HDD.

d. After allocating a drive letter, right click on the drive and select Open. Check if you are able to open the drive in File Explorer.

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Suvarna Govinda, Sep 3, 2017
  3. Trying a Clean Install of Windows 10. Can't Delete or Format a Partiton.

Hello Diego,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

If you have a computer with 32bit architecture, you will not be able to install 64bit Windows 10 edition on your PC.

Unallocated drives are those whose drive letters are not allocated when initially partitioned or after formatting. You will be able to view the drive on your PC if you have allocated a drive name for the partition created. The drive will not be visible
    on the PC if you do not allocate a drive letter or a drive name.

Allocate a drive letter to the HDD by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Open Run command by pressing
      Windows Key + R
      keys on the keyboard, type diskmgmt.msc and press
      Enter.

• Right click on the Unallocated disk drive and select
      New Simple Volume option. Follow the onscreen instructions where in the process you will get to a window where you can allocate a drive name for the HDD.

• After allocating a drive letter, right click on the drive and select
      Open. Check if you are able to open the drive in File Explorer.

• Close the window and check if you are able to install Windows 10.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Sep 3, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

I have a 1TB HDD partitioned as 150GB for the OS/C: and 780GB for Data/D:. As described by the drive/partition label I keep files on it in the same-named Folders as shown in File Explorer, Libraries.

There are procedures to Move the Folder you mentioned to the larger partition. Several pages found here to help:
    move documents to another drive at DuckDuckGo
    The Tutorials section of Ten Forums probably as a tutorial as well.

Berton, Sep 3, 2017
  5. Foxhaven Win User
    Hello Berton,
    Thanks for your reply and suggested procedures. I used it to successfully move all my Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos Folders to the 1Tb drive. My SSD is much happier now.
    However, the process of moving all this data over has caused my Outlook 2016 app to lose all my contacts, e-mails, etc.
    Any suggestions as to why and how to fix it?

Foxhaven, Sep 4, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    I don't use Outlook 2016 but there should be a setting in it as to where the .pst and .ost files are stored, would have to change that to the new location.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New computer. Allocating drives. - Similar Threads - computer Allocating drives

2. Problems allocating drive for backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems allocating drive for backup: My HP won't charge, so I am trying to backup to an external drive before it dies. The external drive is a 1TB drive. So, for some reason, even though I have plenty of space, the disk it is reading is partitioned/unallocated. I don't remember doing this. How do I get it to...
  3. Problems allocating drive for backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems allocating drive for backup: My HP won't charge, so I am trying to backup to an external drive before it dies. The external drive is a 1TB drive. So, for some reason, even though I have plenty of space, the disk it is reading is partitioned/unallocated. I don't remember doing this. How do I get it to...
  4. Hard Drive Allocation Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Allocation Confusion: Hello! So, my PC has slowed down recently and at the recommendation of a friend I was looking at my SSD health when I saw this. Already I'm assuming my boot partition shouldn't be that large but the same hard-drive has many of my games downloaded onto it within the same...
  5. Hard Drive Allocation Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive Allocation Confusion: Hello! So, my PC has slowed down recently and at the recommendation of a friend I was looking at my SSD health when I saw this. Already I'm assuming my boot partition shouldn't be that large but the same hard-drive has many of my games downloaded onto it within the same...
  6. Allocation of hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Allocation of hard drive: How do I allocate more space to the C drive on mycomputer I have 931 GB of available space but the OS is using 101GB's of the 102 allocated to it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allocation-of-hard-drive/81c72fb0-229d-495f-9b05-aeaf94df3815
  7. Suddenly D: drive is not allocated anymore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Suddenly D: drive is not allocated anymore: Hi guys, When starting up my pc last week, suddenly my D: drive was not allocated anymore. Looking at Disk Management i can see Disk0 is online but not allocated. This is normally my 2TB hard disk. Can anyone help me to allocate this disk without loosing data?[IMG]...
  8. Cannot Allocate new HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot Allocate new HDD: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/artvandelay-__- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ikglwi/cannot_allocate_new_hdd/
  9. Allocating Hard Drive Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Allocating Hard Drive Space: Lets start from the beginning. I dropped my computer about a month ago and the hard drive started to fail on me so i shut the computer down for a while, got a new hard drive, and used a dock like thing to clone the stuff from my dying hard drive to my new one. my issue now is...
  10. Disk allocation and Drive permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk allocation and Drive permissions: Why do I get this error message and how can I resolve it? Error message reads: Unable to create record files for one or more tracks. Check your disk allocation and drive permissions." I have just purchased a Focusrite interface, downloaded the relevant software, but every...