Windows 10: New computer and won't let me access one of my folders on my external

Discus and support New computer and won't let me access one of my folders on my external in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Bought a new computer because my old one decided to not cooperate anymore. Anyways, I was doing all the installation stuff and I wanted to change my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jared, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Jared Win User

New computer and won't let me access one of my folders on my external

Bought a new computer because my old one decided to not cooperate anymore. Anyways, I was doing all the installation stuff and I wanted to change my background to my own personal one but when I clicked pictures on my external hd it gives me the error message " You don't currently have permission to access this folder." so I clicked continue then I get the "You have been denied permission to access this folder." it says click the security tab to gain access but it doesn't do anything for me

I've tried to look stuff up on the internet and youtube but nothing seems to work. I just want my pictures. I can accsess everything else on my external.

External is a WD My Book and it is probably a little outdated but I like it and it still works, also thinking about making my old internal hd into an external because I also need all my files off my old computer.

:)

Jared, Sep 6, 2015
  2. Lukas_D Win User

Encrypted word document - "user does not have access privileges"

I just did a fresh install on my new hard drive, I backed everything up on an external HDD and reformatted the old one. Now when I try to copy my encrypted word and excel documents over, or try to open them it tells me "user does not have access privileges".
    It won't even give me the option to enter the password.

I've tried changing permissions and I already have Full Control of all the files, but it still denies me access. It won't let me move, copy, open or make any changes to the files at all.

The files were encrypted via MS Office, and stored in an ecrypted folder. Even the files in that folder that weren't password-locked cannot be openned, they just say "invalid file extension" or "file is encrypted or corrupted".

I need help please, these are important docuements and need to get access to them.

Lukas_D, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Windows 10 GoPro Studio

Haven't figured it out yet since I'm the only one that uses my computer and it is personal but Windows 10 won't let me save files unless I go to my profile and create a new folder there. It won't let me save to folders of GoPro that existed before I upgraded.
    I says I need the permission of the administrator which is me? After I created a new GoPro folder and set that as my default download folder I'm able to successfully connect my Hero 4 and the files load without difficulty. This also works if you use a microSD
    card reader instead of the camera. Hope this helps.

GregHindahl, Sep 6, 2015
  4. fergiet Win User

fergiet, Sep 6, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015
  6. Jared Win User
    So I changed everything over so that I could use the external hd but I still am unable to open pictures. It's like they have all disappeared, which is sad because I had some good pictures of my sisters wedding and such on there. Any ideas on how I can get them back?

Jared, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New computer and won't let me access one of my folders on my external - Similar Threads - computer won't let

2. I'm stuck in a loop that won't let me access my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm stuck in a loop that won't let me access my computer.: So basically I decided to try out windows 11 and once I tried it out I went back and wanted to change to windows 10 so I tried to revert to windows ten and now I'm currently stuck in loop that says "restoring your previous version of windows" which is then followed up by a...
  3. I'm stuck in a loop that won't let me access my computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm stuck in a loop that won't let me access my computer.: So basically I decided to try out windows 11 and once I tried it out I went back and wanted to change to windows 10 so I tried to revert to windows ten and now I'm currently stuck in loop that says "restoring your previous version of windows" which is then followed up by a...
  4. My computer won't let let me update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer won't let let me update: So I have this desktop from 2011 I believe that originally ran on windows 7 home premium. Well I've had windows 10 installed for quite some time, it ran slow and I was aware I had viruses, unfortunately I don't have a virus cleaner and I can't afford one, so I figured I could...
  5. My computer won't let let me update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer won't let let me update: So I have this desktop from 2011 I believe that originally ran on windows 7 home premium. Well I've had windows 10 installed for quite some time, it ran slow and I was aware I had viruses, unfortunately I don't have a virus cleaner and I can't afford one, so I figured I could...
  6. My computer won't let me sign in

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My computer won't let me sign in: I recently tried to upgrade my computer from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and it is not letting me sign in when I try to it say just says just a moment then says signing out black screens that brings me back to the welcome screen I was trying to see if I could get into a...
  7. My computer won't let me update or log-on. .

My computer won't let me update or log-on. .: My computer won't let me update or log-on. . The msg I get is "OOPs, probability our fault, try again. My outlook seems to work fine with my user id and password....
  8. External hard drive won't let me explore files on one specific computer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive won't let me explore files on one specific computer.: Hi there, I have a 5TB external hard drive that stopped working with my Win 10 PC a few days ago. The drive is visible, but if it's plugged in I can't select it, open device manager, scan it or look at it's properties without is crashing my system. I've since tried it...
  9. OneDrive won't let me sync to my external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive won't let me sync to my external drive: I'm using Office 365 and the OneDrive storage that comes with my subscription. This problem appeared after I replaced my old computer that ran Win7 with a new computer than runs Win10. In other words I'm using a clean install of Win10. On my old Win7 computer my 1tb 365...
  10. Windows won't let me reset my computer

Windows won't let me reset my computer: I recently inherited a Dell Inspiron 5000 with Windows 10 installed, the computer has always been problematic so I tried to do a clean boot and follow a Youtube video on it. After that, I restarted the computer, I couldn't access wifi, sound, and pretty much anything on the...