Windows 10: New Computer - Cannot connect to wireless network??

Discus and support New Computer - Cannot connect to wireless network?? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey All, My father bought a brand new HP pavilion desktop. Pretty nice machine. I7, 16gb ram, all that and the bag of chips. Anyways, his internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by musiclover7, Oct 4, 2017.

1. New Computer - Cannot connect to wireless network??

Hey All,

My father bought a brand new HP pavilion desktop. Pretty nice machine. I7, 16gb ram, all that and the bag of chips. Anyways, his internet access is through his landlords wireless. This desktop comes equipped with a modern AC wireless adapter.

We turned the machine on last night to set it up, and no matter what we tried, we could not get the dang thing to join the local wireless network. Super strange. 3 other devices he owns are all on that network. I confirmed the network password by forgetting it on his ipad and rejoining there... no problem. He simply gets an error: "Cannot connect to wireless network."

Things I tried:

1) Corrected the time. Time was off by a few hours at first. I was hopeful with this one, but same results after.

2) Disabled wireless adapter, uninstalled, and rebooted to force re-uptake of wireless driver. No good.

3) Disabled wireless adapter and tried a new USB wireless adapter (one that worked on his old machine). Same results.

4) Banged my head against the wall a few times in frustration. No good, but headache shifted ever so slightly...

5) Tried manually adding the wireless network. No good.

6) Set his iPhone up to provide personal hotspot. I was able to join this no problem. This was nice as it enabled us to get some basic stuff done, but it is not a reasonable long term solution.

So, the problem seems to be with his ability to join his landlords wireless network, but I have zero idea why. The Landlords router is a nice expensive new router that was recently installed. The SSID is a single word, all lower case. The password is a combo of about 8 lower case letters and 4 numbers.

Please help!! Any suggestions super appreciated!

:)

musiclover7, Oct 4, 2017
  2. tmf56 Win User

failure toconnecting wireless camera to computer windws 10

i cannot connect my new wireless camera to the computer, my camera recognizes my camera but my computer will not recognize my camera.

tmf56, Oct 4, 2017
  3. wireless connection cannot find the wireless router. Sees the wireless printer, not the router.

New HP All-in-One with Windows 10. Using at home, cannot find the wireless router. Sees the wireless printer, not the router. Tried putting the router info in manually to connect, still did not work. I see the other posts' answers, should I try those steps
    with new computer?

BP Dragoncat, Oct 4, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

New Computer - Cannot connect to wireless network??

Hi there. Open Settings app (Hold WinKey + I) > Choose Update & security > Choose Troubleshoot > Choose Internet Connections to run the troubleshooter.

Tony K, Oct 4, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
  6. Thanks Hippsie! Will give that a try tonight!

musiclover7, Oct 4, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. Please post back the exact problem and any solution you may find so to help others.

Tony K, Oct 4, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Does he have to register the PC first if the router has Mac blocking set he won't get on or is there a limit on number of devices

Samuria, Oct 4, 2017
  9. Probably way off base, but, here are a couple things that sometimes bite people.
    • Is his network's "current profile" "Private"? Or to ask the same question from a different angle, is his computer "discoverable"?
    • Is NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled?
    The message "Cannot connect to wireless network." sound like it's at a lower level than that, but it might be worth checking.

Your point #3 almost rules out a driver problem (unless there are two bad drivers) but it still might be worth checking. (Don't trust Windows to know if the driver is up to date .) Can you attach the computer to a wired network long enough to search for updates for the wireless adapter driver?

Oh. A gloss on my previous question: Does the computer communicate at when attached to a wired network? (It might not be a wireless problem at all.)

pokeefe0001, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New Computer - Cannot connect to wireless network?? - Similar Threads - Computer Cannot connect

2. Cannot connect PC to my wireless network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect PC to my wireless network: HelloI have a PC the one I am writing from now that uses a wireless connection via a dongle. I have recently acquired a second-hand PC and hoped to connected that to the Internet using the same dongle, so I have bought an Archer T2U Plus wireless USB adapter. I can see the...
  3. No networks appearing under wireless networks; computer cannot identify wireless networks...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No networks appearing under wireless networks; computer cannot identify wireless networks...: Today my Windows 10 computer is suddenly unable to connect to the internet at all. When I click on the internet button in the bottom righthand corner, the only option available is Network & Internet Settings and Airplane Mode which is turned off. All the other options are...
  4. No networks appearing under wireless networks; computer cannot identify wireless networks...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No networks appearing under wireless networks; computer cannot identify wireless networks...: Today my Windows 10 computer is suddenly unable to connect to the internet at all. When I click on the internet button in the bottom righthand corner, the only option available is Network & Internet Settings and Airplane Mode which is turned off. All the other options are...
  5. No networks appearing under wireless networks; computer cannot identify wireless networks...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Absolutely cannot connect to a wireless network anymore!

Absolutely cannot connect to a wireless network anymore!: Okay so it began as very seldomly losing internet connection on my laptop after leaving it idle and waking it from sleep... Then somehow would only hold a wireless connection when plugged in and charging... Then it would be that every few minutes it'll lose internet...
  7. Cannot connect to any wireless network

Cannot connect to any wireless network: I am using a Fujitsu laptop with Windows 10 Home Vesion 1903 installed on 9/14/2019 and OS build 18362.449. From yesterday, I cannot connect to any wireless network. Although I can see them from the network available list, after click on the connect button, "Unable to...
  8. Computer "cannot connect to network"

Computer "cannot connect to network": My computer connects to all other networks except the one at my house. It started after we got a new router (Tenda). My phone and tablet, and other pcs can connect. When I try to connect it says "Cannot connect to network ", and will not save network/password....
  9. Cannot connect to the wireless network

Cannot connect to the wireless network: Hi I started my PC in a new premises with a Wireless modem, I have two other PC's connected. When I started the PC it saw the wireless network and the option came up to connect and there was a tick in the "Connect Automatically" box. I selected OK but got a message...
  10. Wireless connection problem: "cannot connect to this network" message

Wireless connection problem: "cannot connect to this network" message: Hello, My desktop PC cannot connect wirelessly to my router. I get the message "Cannot connect to this network". The adapter driver is up-to-date and is shown as working properly. Other devices connect wirelessly with no problems (including the laptop I am using right now...