Windows 10: New computer- pin not working

Discus and support New computer- pin not working in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello-- I just bought a new Dell XPS and installed a PIN and password. The Pin hasn't worked since the get go? I reset the PIN to ensure it wasn't my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JillColorado, Aug 8, 2018.

1. New computer- pin not working

Hello-- I just bought a new Dell XPS and installed a PIN and password. The Pin hasn't worked since the get go? I reset the PIN to ensure it wasn't my error, but whenever I reboot, I have to default to use the password.

I searched and found that deleting the NGC folder contents would allow me to reset, however, I can't get the permissions to delete the NGC folder. I went in and right clicked properties, changed ownership to administrators for all the folders and subfolders, but once I click on the NGC folder contents, it doesn't delete.

I am frustrated-- I have found a lot of people with the same error, but also the same problems stuck at the NGC folder delete situation. I am not even sure that this will work on the PIN if I delete it, so I would love a clear response: how do I fix the PIN problem and subquestion 2) how do I fix permissions for administrator so I can delete folders (if, in fact, this is how one fixes the problem).

I've spent hours on this and would love any help. Many thanks community!

Best,

JillColorado

:)

JillColorado, Aug 8, 2018
  2. Marco Gav Win User

Why doesn't my pin work with the anniversary edition?

Hi Nancy,

We would like to know more about the issue. Before you had the Anniversary Update, were you using an 8-digit PIN?

For the meantime, we suggest that you remove the current PIN and create a new PIN. You can do that by following these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Settings, and select it from the list of results.
    • Choose Accounts.
    • Select Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, select Remove.

After you have deleted your current PIN, create a new 4-digit PIN by following these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Settings, and select it from the list of results.
    • Choose Accounts.
    • Select Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, select Add.

Once you have created your new 4-digit PIN, restart your computer and sign-in using the new 4-digit PIN.

Note: It is very important that you remove then create a new PIN rather than changing the current PIN.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Aug 8, 2018
  3. Can't create pin for login. Pin stopped working

Hi Kevin,

To resolve your concern about creating pin to your computer, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Navigate to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC (click to get permission when prompted).
    • Delete the contents of that folder (delete everything in that folder, but leave that folder and everything above it).
    • Go back to settings, accounts, sign in options.
    • Your non-working pin will now be gone, and you can just click 'add a pin' and set it again.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Aug 8, 2018
  4. New computer- pin not working

Can't create pin for login. Pin stopped working

Try the steps here:

• Navigate to PC Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options. Click on I forgot my PIN link.
    • Next, click on the Continue button in the Are you sure you forgot your PIN? screen.
    • You can now add a new PIN and click OK.

Gina_on_the_thread, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

New computer- pin not working

1. New computer- pin not working - Similar Threads - computer pin working

2. My pin is not working to sign into a new computer, and I am having troubles with making a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pin is not working to sign into a new computer, and I am having troubles with making a...: My pin is not working to sign into a new computer, and I am having troubles with making a new pin. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pin-is-not-working-to-sign-into-a-new-computer/34576b68-1c99-4e5e-b445-bb1cfdf04f76
  3. Can you help? Can't access new computer with new pin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you help? Can't access new computer with new pin.: New computer Created new PIN. Wrote it down and entered as written. Can't get back into computer, and system won't let me get to MS to reset PIN. If I select "reset PIN" a box flashes onto screen and goes away. It stayed once, but is unfilled and was browned out. Please help....
  4. Can you help? Can't access new computer with new pin.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you help? Can't access new computer with new pin.: New computer Created new PIN. Wrote it down and entered as written. Can't get back into computer, and system won't let me get to MS to reset PIN. If I select "reset PIN" a box flashes onto screen and goes away. It stayed once, but is unfilled and was browned out. Please help....
  5. New computer setup stuck on Microsoft PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New computer setup stuck on Microsoft PIN: I’m trying to setup a new Lenovo laptop for my son. He made a new Microsoft account, but we can’t get past the Microsoft PIN portion of the startup. If you try to create a PIN it says there’s a problem and you can’t, if you click the ‘skip’ button it takes you back to the...
  6. New computer setup stuck on Microsoft PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New computer setup stuck on Microsoft PIN: I’m trying to setup a new Lenovo laptop for my son. He made a new Microsoft account, but we can’t get past the Microsoft PIN portion of the startup. If you try to create a PIN it says there’s a problem and you can’t, if you click the ‘skip’ button it takes you back to the...
  7. Problem setting PIN in new computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Problem setting PIN in new computer: I just bought a new desktop Acer with Windows 10 installed. The second time I started it up, I was asked for my Microsoft account username and password. I had a Hotmail address but it lapsed and the username/password were no longer valid. Using another PC, I opened a...
  8. unable to set a pin on new computer

unable to set a pin on new computer: hi i have just got a new mini computer that i am setting up an acepc i have got as far as the set up pin screen "request set up" and have now had a working "just a moment " screen which ive had for over half an hour i assume it doesnt take this long to get me to a...
  9. On new computer wireless keyboard works for password but not for required PIN set up!

On new computer wireless keyboard works for password but not for required PIN set up!: I got a new computer with Win10 on it. After fighting the screen resolution I had full access. Today I turn it on and it asked for Microsoft password. Then it said I had to type a pin. My wirless keyboard worked fine with the password but not the PIN. The numbers work but not...
  10. Stuck at PIN creation on new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck at PIN creation on new computer: I have a brand new computer that I bought from Eluktronics. I am going through the Windows set-up and I keep getting stuck at the create PIN section. When I click the create button it just spins and seems to freeze. I have re-started my computer several times and each time...