Windows 10: New computer received with Windows 10 Pro Activated - reinstall?

Discus and support New computer received with Windows 10 Pro Activated - reinstall? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all New to both the forums and indeed Windows (Mac users for years, but recently bought a Thinkpad T460, very impressed so far), so apologies if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DavidMeta, Jul 10, 2016.

1. DavidMeta Win User

New computer received with Windows 10 Pro Activated - reinstall?

Hi all

New to both the forums and indeed Windows (Mac users for years, but recently bought a Thinkpad T460, very impressed so far), so apologies if this has been asked before: I recently bought my Thinkpad from ebay, from a guy that obviously got a load in for a work project that didn't need them. As such, it came with Windows activated, but loads of bonus MS Office/Project software. I bought partly due to this bonus software and I works great, very pleased.

However, I am mindful that Windows came with the user named as Register Owner (this is the user path - C:\Users\Registered Owner) and without me setting it up in my name. Is this cool? I am concerned for security reasons of course, but also am unsure how it works if I need to do a fresh install on the computer. If this was a mac I would simply reinstall, however I know I would lose my bonus software this way, since he stated he would not provide software keys for the MS software installed.

Can someone help with these two concerns please? Do I need to do anything going forward (like ask for the Windows Activation key, which did not come with the machine).

Many thanks

Dave

:)

DavidMeta, Jul 10, 2016

2. windows 10 activation

I had an upgraded version of windows 10 pro and upgraded my motherboard and CPU. I received the message to activate windows 10 but i could not. I bought a new windows 10 home and loaded it but can still not activate as it says that seeing windows 10 pro
    was not activated, I could not activate the new windows 10.

lindsayshannon, Jul 10, 2016
  3. FredHeine Win User
    Can't activate my Purchased Windows 10 Pro License.

have 2 computers, both running Windows 10 Pro.

The first computer was upgraded for free to Windows 10 Pro from Retail Windows 7 (Pro).

I purchase Windows 10 Pro and license from Windows Online Store.

My first computer shows up as activated. I can't activate my purchased license on my second computer.

I purchase a third license so I could register my second computer. Now my Windows Account Devices, my first computer shows up activated once and my second computer shows up activated twice with numbers I don't recognize. I received my second license number
    by email. I never received my third license number but it was activated.

FredHeine, Jul 10, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Welcome to tenforums. The account set up as Registered User will be no problem at all. Many places do that because they don't know who the computer will be sold to. So, it is no problem and will cause no problem in a clean install. If you want a user account in your name, this will tell you how https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html.

I hope that helps and answers your questions.

essenbe, Jul 10, 2016
  5. The product key for Windows 10 should be embedded in the BIOS, this utility will tell you if it is, and list the key. https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html If it is embedded in the BIOS, it will be auto detected on a clean install. The install media will find it all on its own.

alphanumeric, Jul 10, 2016
  6. DavidMeta Win User
    Yes, thanks. So there is no security risk - it is as if I am that 'Registered user' and there are no links (this is not the case with Apple, you see - a sold on iPad for example, can still be linked to the bios and therefore is rendered unable with a fresh install if they forget/do not unlink it).

DavidMeta, Jul 10, 2016
  7. DavidMeta Win User
    Great, thanks. Just used the software and it gave me the key. Much obliged.

DavidMeta, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New computer received with Windows 10 Pro Activated - reinstall? - Similar Threads - computer received Pro

2. New Windows 10 Pro OEM Computer not activated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Windows 10 Pro OEM Computer not activated: Dear All,I have a brand new computer with windows 10 PRO OEM installed and for the first time in my life, the operating system is not activated; if I try to activate it from the Activation menu, it returns the following error translated fro Italian;It's not possible to...
  3. New Windows 10 Pro OEM Computer not activated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows 10 Pro OEM Computer not activated: Dear All,I have a brand new computer with windows 10 PRO OEM installed and for the first time in my life, the operating system is not activated; if I try to activate it from the Activation menu, it returns the following error translated fro Italian;It's not possible to...
  4. New Windows 10 Pro OEM Computer not activated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Reinstall Windows 10 Pro on new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 Pro on new computer: I purchased Windows 10 Pro and have it installed on an existing computer. I am getting rid of that computer and building a new computer. So I want to deactivate Windows 10 Pro on the old computer and reinstall clean on the new computer. How do I get a product key for the new...
  6. Unable to Activate Windows 10 Pro on new Computer

Unable to Activate Windows 10 Pro on new Computer: Hi there, I've recently built an entire new PC and appear unable to activate my Windows 10 Pro on it. I originally had it on an older PC when it was moved from my Physical Key to a Digital Key associated to my Microsoft Account, when switching to another PC it immediately...
  7. Windows 10 Pro retail activation on a new computer

Windows 10 Pro retail activation on a new computer: Hi,I'm receiving an error 0xc004c003 when trying to activate my Windows 10 Pro retail license on my new computer. My old computer is formatted so the license should no longer be active....
  8. Windows 10 pro won't activate on new computer

Windows 10 pro won't activate on new computer: So yesterday for my birthday, I got a new computer. An Intel NUC8i5BEK. I installed Windows 10 pro from a USB stick I made from the Microsoft website. After installation it says I am not activated. So I run the troubleshooter and it says it can't find a digital license for...
  9. Activation of Windows 10 Pro after reinstallation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation of Windows 10 Pro after reinstallation: Hello, I have reinstalled Windows 10 on my main PC. The reinstallation was successful. I ended up having a Windows 10 Home version. It was successful activated. I then upgraded to a Windows 10 Pro version via the Microsoft Store, and I am sure I selected Windows 10 Pro,...
  10. Activate Windows 10 Pro on new computer

Activate Windows 10 Pro on new computer: My computer died and I built a new one. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro but can't activate it. My account says I have 2 PCs but my old one is dead. Should I delete my old PC from my account? Will I be able then to activate my new PC?...