Windows 10: New computer set up - resetting welcome name and eliminating password

Discus and support New computer set up - resetting welcome name and eliminating password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I bought a new laptop last week. Dell Inspiron 15" I was setting it up and when the computer starts up , it has your name....hello Raymond... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by RaymondWindoz10, Oct 29, 2017.

1. New computer set up - resetting welcome name and eliminating password

I bought a new laptop last week.

Dell Inspiron 15"

I was setting it up and when the computer starts up , it has your name....hello Raymond

Mine says Raymond G......first letter of my last name.
    I recall signing up for a lot of things when you have a new laptop and I always use the first letter of my last name for the .....lat name box. It is a modest attempt to maintain privacy on the net

I want to eliminate the G

I tried to reset the username and followed instructions going to settings........accounts and I tried everything under the sun to eliminate the G and followed instructions I found online.

I tried to change the username from Raymond G to Raymond........now I have 2 user accounts with Raymond G

The second account I cannot even use because it is protected with a password I never set up and does not work with any other password I use.

The original user name Raymond G required a password.

I eliminated the password so I could double click through it and it worked prior to me trying to eliminate the G and getting a second account. Now the password returned..........grrrrrr.

I eliminated it the first time by logging into netplwiz.........user accounts and users.
    Behind my name and email address it says administrators and users.

I don't recall the USERS behind the administrators the first time.

The box that needs to be checked to require a password is not checked.

So, it seems no password would be required.

But now I have to enter a password for the original username and the second one is not accessible.

If I check user names the only one listed is Raymond G even though two Raymond G's appear in the lower left corner when I log on.

I found another place to change the name under Task Manager........I think.......
    And it had the computer name listed as .......something like ......DZ123d456......something random provided by Dell.
    So I tried to change it and as an experiment I tried ABC123.......it did not work.
    But if I log into Dell Assist, which is an owner support forum, it says ABC123 on the link. But not on the computer.

--------------

How do I eliminate the second username?
    How do I rename the original username to eliminate the G?

Thanks

:)

RaymondWindoz10, Oct 29, 2017

2. How do I cancel an old network

changed computer name and the network is set up under the old name. how do I eliminate this network or change the computer name to the new one.

ErnestLowe, Oct 29, 2017
  3. stansliwa Win User
    How to recover HomeGroup User name

I have windows 10 on both of my computers. I have a network and homegroup set up. I just installed a new router and I can not get into the other computer. It keeps asking me for a user name and password. I know the password but don't remember the user name.
    How can I reset this with a new user name?

Original tittle: network access

stansliwa, Oct 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I would start over. Use the Restore to factory that should be built into the laptop and be more careful during the initial setup this time.

Once done and you're happy with it, use Macrium Reflect Free or Premium to do an image backup of the drive to an external hard drive, then recovery is no more than 30 minutes away.

Ztruker, Oct 30, 2017
  6. I have tried all of the links you provided or at least similar links I found online before I got myself in trouble.
    ---------------------------

This is my problem.......

When I log on.........or try to..........I get this screen shot....my last laptop just said Raymond.......that is all I want.

And I don't want to use a password, just double click through it..........

New computer set up -  resetting welcome name and eliminating password [​IMG]

But when I click through without inserting a password I get this.........below...........

RaymondWindoz10, Oct 30, 2017
  7. If I click through then I still get a password box................

8. New computer set up - resetting welcome name and eliminating password

And if I click through that ........I get this......two entries for my username.......the one on the bottom is the second one that 'popped up' and requires a password that is not the same as the first one and won't allow me entry.

I tried to follow instructions I found online for deleting usernames and that did not work either......

9. I even went online and tried to delete the function that requires a password on start-up.
    Trying to set it up the same way I had on my previous laptop.

I tried it using.................. Netplwiz

10. Then, I proceeded to this entry.........notice it says I must check the box to require users to enter a password and username.....it'snot checked.

But I
    still have to insert the password

11. Should I just start over............Restore to Factory and start from square one again?

When I restore to factory does that mean it will be just like it was when it came out of the box and I have to delete all those unnecessary games and set up the functions like it was brand new again?

I did that once with an older laptop and it took several hours to reboot.

I don't mind doing it but I'd like to figure out the problem if it was something I was responsible for.

Thanks for your help.

12. hondacrv Win User
    i would do a reset and have a fresh copy of windows 10 minus all of dells bloatware and power dvd garbage installed go to settings>update& security> recovery> reset this pc . i would not do it thoe if you have moved a lot of stuff over.

hondacrv, Oct 30, 2017
  13. New computer set up - resetting welcome name and eliminating password

Thanks for the instructions.
    I'll do it now and get it over with.........lol

I never reached the point of moving a lot of things over yet.

I was too frustrated with the other issues.

Thanks

14. I did a reset following your instructions.

There were 2 options to reset the computer and I chose the one on top that offered to keep items already loaded
    but to get rid of APPS.

The second one on the bottom suggested it would delete everything and start over.

After 45 minutes or so of waiting, it said that a problem was encountered and no changes were made.

I am going to try again using the second option.

This should not be happening to a new laptop.

15. I redid the Restart a second time and I got the same message, that an error occurred and the cycle could not be completed.

I used both options to Restart it.

It's messed up if the computer won't even Reboot itself.

I'm really screwed..........lol.

Thema:

New computer set up - resetting welcome name and eliminating password

1. New computer set up - resetting welcome name and eliminating password - Similar Threads - computer set resetting

2. I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.: I just received a new computer and when setting it up, I didn't think about and used a newer email address and name to set everything instead of my older Microsoft account. Now I can't access OneDrive under the old email address to move my files over onto this computer.How...
  3. I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.: I just received a new computer and when setting it up, I didn't think about and used a newer email address and name to set everything instead of my older Microsoft account. Now I can't access OneDrive under the old email address to move my files over onto this computer.How...
  4. I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. New computer set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New computer set up: Hi,We have an older computer and just bought a new one. We'd like to use the same password as the old computer to be able to sync, but of course during the spell where the MS account was asking for a new password every other day, unsure what it is. We've tried a couple on the...
  6. Reset password on new computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reset password on new computer: Just purchased new HP computer with Microsoft software. Set it up and no password will work. Took it to a tech and was told factory reset or Microsoft could reset the password. Need help can't get past the login screen...
  7. Setting up new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting up new computer: Hello, i recently purchased a new computer and accidentally clicked set up for an organization instead of personal use. as a result i am unable to log in to the computer and the windows + pause break key option does not allow me do anything. How do i revert back to...
  8. Setting up new computer offline, what will the c:user name be?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting up new computer offline, what will the c:user name be?: I’m going to be setting up a new computer with windows 10 shortly. I don’t want the username to be the first 5 characters of my email address. I planned on setting it up offline so I can add my local email address instead of a Microsoft account. Will this allow me to control...
  9. New computer set up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New computer set up: I received a new computer and accidentally selected "for business" and now I cannot complete the start up process. How can I go back and change to personal use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-set-up/3dbf26b8-614b-43bf-9481-c0b39ee832c1
  10. Password Elimination

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Password Elimination: Operating a wired Ethernet LAN that connects this Windows-10 computer with other Windows-8.1, Windows-7 and Linux computers, I am constantly frustrated by demands for user IDs and passwords when attempting to access one machine from another. Such security on a local wired...