Windows 10: [new computer] Should I install Steam on smaller SSD or bigger HDD?

Discus and support [new computer] Should I install Steam on smaller SSD or bigger HDD? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi all, I'll be getting a new gaming Desktop PC in a few days time, and I've never had a computer with both a SSD and a HDD (the one I have now is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Gaz1701, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Gaz1701 Win User

[new computer] Should I install Steam on smaller SSD or bigger HDD?

Hi all, I'll be getting a new gaming Desktop PC in a few days time, and I've never had a computer with both a SSD and a HDD (the one I have now is nearly 11 years old! And it's all installed on a single HDD [though a lot of my files are on an External HDD to save room]).

The reason I'm asking this is, as I don't know how modern computers deal with having Windows 10 installed on the SSD, and having programs such as Steam installed on the HDD - or can it be installed on the HDD and still work just as well?

What I mean is, should I install [in particular] Steam - and all my games on Steam - on my 120GB SSD (as it's faster, though it would take up room on there), or do I install Steam + games on my 2TB HDD (where there's loads more room, and it saves space for the SSD to be used purely for Windows 10)?

I know my games will take up most of the room on there (I'm thinking of installing ALL my games and leaving them installed if it's on the HDD - which will take up who knows how many GB), so I guess most of the largest games will be installed wherever Steam is installed..

So is it even possible to install Steam outside of Windows' Program Files?

I'm not sure how it all interacts with each other. I know games like Half Life 2 has its own folder - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods, and the rest goes into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

But can that/Steam be moved out of Program Files and on to my HDD, or is it too interdependant on Windows for it to work?

Thanks in advance

:)

Gaz1701, Jan 7, 2018

2. Dual HDD+SSD Nightmare please help!

I bought a laptop today it has 2 hard drives 1x 128GB SSD and 1x 1TB SATA, Windows 10 has been installed on the smaller 128GB SSD also any program I install goes on the smaller SSD drive and is already full I cannot install anything as its full now, the
    bigger 1TB Sata drive is empty, How can I make the bigger HDD the default for the computer where everything is installed on there, I didn't realise by having 2 hard drives would be such a nightmare

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks [new computer] Should I install Steam on smaller SSD or bigger HDD? :)

CraigRichardson83, Jan 7, 2018
  3. grayburn Win User
    How do I increase every font on the Nokia e72?

You could install a new (bigger) font, or install Psiloc's Font Magnifier or install FontrouterMan.

The later can make your defualt font bigger or smaller among other customisations.

grayburn, Jan 7, 2018
  4. antspants Win User

I always install Steam on a secondary HDD. The added benefit of this is that if you do this, your games are always there regardless if you are reinstalling Windows. This way only updates are needed for your games as long as you use the same file path for the steam install after reinstalling Windows.

You can also move steam and all games from C to another drive at any time, there are quite a few tutorials out there for that.

antspants, Jan 7, 2018
  5. Gaz1701 Win User
    Oh cool, thanks antspants. *Smile

So does that mean Steam can be installed in (for example) E:\games\Steam (with the games in "\steamapps\[etc]".) then, without any problems? That'd be ideal *Biggrin

Gaz1701, Jan 7, 2018
  6. antspants Win User
    Yes mate for sure, just would be wise to check that the game install asks for your drive path of steam install "E:\games\Steam" when you start the game install, just until you're confident that you know that it knows.
    I've gotten lazy and now just assume it knows where to install games as per your steam install path.

In short, the games downloaded from steam basically know where to go as per where you chose to install steam. ... Doesn't matter if it's
    Drive:\games\Steam\
    Drive:\bananas\Steam\
    or even
    Drive:\mymotherinlawdrivesmebonkers\Steam\
    etc

cheers *Biggrin

antspants, Jan 7, 2018
  7. FastFred Win User
    I installed Steam on my SSD, but I have Steam set to install all its games on a different drive. Works perfectly.

FastFred, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. [new computer] Should I install Steam on smaller SSD or bigger HDD? - Similar Threads - computer Should install

2. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  3. Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD: So, I recently got a 500gb Samsung 980 Pro and I want to transfer Windows from my 1TB WD Blue to my new SSD. So I set it up and everything went well setting it up wise, until I looked up how to change the boot drive in my PC. For all of the scenarios they had a 1tb HDD then a...
  4. Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD: So, I recently got a 500gb Samsung 980 Pro and I want to transfer Windows from my 1TB WD Blue to my new SSD. So I set it up and everything went well setting it up wise, until I looked up how to change the boot drive in my PC. For all of the scenarios they had a 1tb HDD then a...
  5. Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??: I,ve been using a hard drive on my pc for 3 years now and im finally making the switch to an ssd(SAMSUNG 860Evo 250GB) but i have one question my hard drive is split into two and the one that contains the OS is currently 123/344 gb.If i migrate it my ssd would already be half...
  6. Should i remove hdd before installing windows on ssd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Should i remove hdd before installing windows on ssd?: Hi~ I'm using a laptop and i intend to reinstall windows 10 on my new ssd. Is it necessary to remove my hdd no windows installed before installing windows 10 on ssd? If yes, what is the reason of this? Thank you in advance!...
  7. OS new a smaller ssd

OS new a smaller ssd: Hello, I want to know if there's any way I can transfer my OS from my 1tb HHD to my new 240gb SSD, if yes how do I do it and with which program, I don't want to delete all my files from my HHD as I don't have the best wifi connection and it would take me long to download all...
  8. hdd to ssd on new computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hdd to ssd on new computer: Hi yes im going to buy 2 1tb samsung evo 850 to replace my 1tb hdd know my pc comes with 240gb ssd already what i want to do is unplug both and swap them out for the 1 tb evo 850 and then just completely install windows on one of them and have one on back up is this method...
  9. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...
  10. Should I register new Windows 10 before migrating HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I register new Windows 10 before migrating HDD to SSD?: I have a few questions on this, so please bear with me! 1) I got a new laptop and Win 10 seems to be working ok. Win 10 has not asked me to register yet, but I guess it will before long. So, should I register with Microsoft first and then change my hard drive to a SSD?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Should you install steam on hdd or ssd

2. should i install os on bigger ssd or smaller