Windows 10: New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

Discus and support New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rkl122, May 22, 2018.

1. rkl122 Win User

New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on them, and each is bootable in the new PC. In the interest of conserving space on the SSD, I want to install programs on both of them, keeping less frequently used stuff on the second drive. Since the HDD is bootable, I figure I may as well leave Windows installed on it. I'm also using it for the data folders recognized by the windows install on the SSD.

I have taken ownership of the program folders on the second drive, and plan to reinstall the less frequently used stuff in those directories. Since that will take some time, I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Am I correct in assuming that, for the installs I make on the (HDD) second drive, program installers will interact only with the windows install on my (SSD) boot drive and not the one on the second drive? For example, is it assured that they will register with the registry on the SSD, and will use the Appdata folder on the SSD as well?

I guess I'm asking whether program installers always know from which drive the OS was loaded? In general, is it a mistake to leave Windows on the HDD?

Thank you for any advice.

:)

rkl122, May 22, 2018
  2. Tryx3 Win User

boot from cloned ssd installed on cd drive

"Currently, my objective is to keep the HHD as-is for backup and storage uses" - you will be able to do so. You just need to keep it on one side but out of the computer so that you can see the SSD in action on its own first. You have to put the
    SSD in the original HDD's bay for the system to be able to boot from it.

There is no method for switching "between SSD & HHD just by changing the BIOS boot order or something like that". BIOS writers did not anticipate the use to which you want to put the CD/DVD bay. You have to put the SSD in the original HDD's bay
    for the system to be able to boot from it.

When you are happy that the SSD boots correctly you can first try to put the old HDD into the caddy you have been using in the CD/DVD bay. Then try booting again. If the SSD cannot boot now [but could boot on its own] then it will be because of a clash
    of disk "signatures". If there is a clash then you should put the old HDD into a USB enclosure so you can access it as & when required [but you might still have to remove it during booting up] but might eventually need to reformat it in order to use it in
    that CD/DVD bay caddy so that you can leave it in the computer all the time.

I have done this job on two different computers.

• The SSD from which the system boots is in the original HDD's bay.
    • The original HDD is in the CD/DVD bay [using the caddy that the SSD was in during cloning].

Tryx3, May 22, 2018
  3. Neox99 Win User
    Changing Boot Drive from HDD to SSD

Trying to understand here.

Do you have Win-10 installed on a HDD and on a SSD?

If so are you asking how to get your system to boot from the SSD opposed the HDD?

If you don't get an option of seeing a boot option at the beginning of the BIOS process {mine is to press ESC to see boot menu] check with the manufacturer. There HAS to be a key which does that.

Another possibility is: If both drives are SATA just switch the cables and reboot.

Check your Configuration file and see if 2 OSs are listed.

As you can see here, I have mine set to dual-boot. Win-10 on a HDD and Win-7 on a SSD.

New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary [​IMG]

Neox99, May 22, 2018
Thema:

New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

1. New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary - Similar Threads - Computer boot SSD

2. New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot: Ok so I have a new HP Pavilion Laptop 15t-eg300, 15.6". I bought a new hard drive and cloned the one from the laptop. I transferred all my files from my current computer to the new hard drive via USB. I finally replaced the old one with this one: Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D...
  3. New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot: Ok so I have a new HP Pavilion Laptop 15t-eg300, 15.6". I bought a new hard drive and cloned the one from the laptop. I transferred all my files from my current computer to the new hard drive via USB. I finally replaced the old one with this one: Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D...
  4. Computer wont boot with secondary HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer wont boot with secondary HDD?: Hi there, hope this is the right place, Essentially my issue is that whenever I try to boot my pc with a secondary HDD plugged in it wont boot, it doesn't even get to the bios splash screen, I have windows installed on a Kingston SSD, and I am trying to utilise a...
  5. Old SSD to new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old SSD to new computer: I have an old SSD that I would like to install and use on a new computer that already has one SSD and on HD. Windows is installed on the new computer on the SSD. However, windows was also installed on the old SSD I would like to move to the new computer. When I hook up the...
  6. Put old boot drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Put old boot drive in new computer: So I pulled an old windows 10 boot drive out of a computer and put it in a new build. It won't let me access the user file on that drive. Says "you currently don't have permission to access this folder - click continue to permanently get access to this folder". I click...
  7. Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD: Hi, I was running Win 10 on my old HDDs. I have successfully installed Win 10 on a new SSD and I was able to boot Windows on it. At startup, Win10 would prompt me if I wanted Win10 from Volume 1 (SSD) or from Volume 3 (old HDD). I migrated all of my contents to the SSD and...
  8. Secondary hdd boot error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary hdd boot error: I have installed Windows on my ssd in my laptop.. I took off the cd-dvd case and put an hdd.. now when I turn on there's an error (0xc000000f).. I entered the bios and the boot order is ok.. however if I press esc several times I get the option to choose a boot drive.. so I...
  9. hdd to ssd on new computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hdd to ssd on new computer: Hi yes im going to buy 2 1tb samsung evo 850 to replace my 1tb hdd know my pc comes with 240gb ssd already what i want to do is unplug both and swap them out for the 1 tb evo 850 and then just completely install windows on one of them and have one on back up is this method...
  10. change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD: Hi, i have a windows 10 laptop,i have bought a SSD because i want to change my old HDD, i have just created a VHD file and now i would like to set boot loader to get it started from my FILE.VHD in my new SSD. i have win 10 dvd-rom, but i don't want reinstall everything. i...