Windows 10: New CU Windows Defender interface

Discus and support New CU Windows Defender interface in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What do you guys think? I don't like it at all. It feels awkward and uncomfortable to navigate. When you need to specify some advanced options (like... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by eLPuSHeR, Apr 12, 2017.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

New CU Windows Defender interface

What do you guys think? I don't like it at all. It feels awkward and uncomfortable to navigate. When you need to specify some advanced options (like exceptions for instance) is a real PITA and not very straightforward.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Apr 12, 2017

2. Window defender not working error message 0x80029c4a

There’s a bug being delivered in the Fall Creators Update that prevents users from accessing the History tab in the old Windows Defender interface:

New CU Windows Defender interface [​IMG]

We recently learned that this issue only affects the old Windows Defender interface (MSASCui.exe), so the obvious workaround is to start using its replacement – the new
    Windows Defender Security Center app. We still have a few minor glitches in the new Windows Defender app, but the equivalent History functions all seem to be working as expected. The answer in this thread will help get you started with the
    new interface – and will also provide a link for up-voting the bug report that I posted at the
    Feedback Hub for the old interface (courtesy of Community Moderator

bhringer
    ):

windows defender

The issue is primarily limited to people who are still using an old taskbar or desktop shortcut that points to the old interface (MSASCui.exe), and who might not have noticed that the Start menu and icon shortcuts for the old interface have now been
    replaced by shortcuts for the new Windows Defender Security Center app. Even when you search for “Windows Defender” you’ll now get the shortcut to the new interface. So all of Windows 10’s internal links to the old Windows Defender interface have now been
    replaced by links to the new interface.

GreginMich, Apr 12, 2017
  3. error loading type/DLL Library

There’s a bug being delivered in the Fall Creators Update that prevents users from accessing the History tab in the old Windows Defender interface:

New CU Windows Defender interface [​IMG]

We recently learned that this issue only affects the old Windows Defender interface (MSASCui.exe), so the obvious workaround is to start using its replacement – the new
    Windows Defender Security Center app. We still have a few minor glitches in the new Windows Defender app, but the equivalent History functions all seem to be working as expected. The answer in this thread will help get you started with the
    new interface – and also provide you with a link for up-voting the bug report that I posted at the
    Feedback Hub for the old interface (courtesy of Community Moderator

bhringer
    ):

windows defender

The issue is primarily limited to people who are still using an old taskbar or desktop shortcut for the old interface (MSASCui.exe), and who might not have noticed that the Start menu and icon shortcuts for the old interface have now been replaced
    by shortcuts for the new Windows Defender Security Center app. Even when you search for “Windows Defender” you’ll now get a shortcut to the new interface. So all of Windows 10’s internal links to the old Windows Defender interface have now been replaced by
    links to the new interface.

[Edited for Update, 10/27/2017]

A fix for this issue was just provided by Community Moderator
    bhringer
    in this thread:

windows defender

Right-click on the desktop and select New > Shortcut.

Then copy and paste this line for the “location”:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"

Now right-click on the shortcut and choose “Run as administrator”.

That should allow you access to the History tab.

[end Edit]

GreginMich, Apr 12, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

I don`t really like it either, too much change. The original Defender layout was fine.

AddRAM, Apr 12, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    It annoys me too a bit.. It is designed to look integrated but it isn't which is confusing.

• You can't open it easily from the taskbar (it is probably a bug you have to right click but never mind).
    • The UI is designed to look like it is part of settings app. But it isn't. You search for "Defender" in Settings and find nothing.
    • The default notifications saying "All is Well" annoy me and you have to turn them off in defender settings (not easy to find) rather than in the normal place. Why send a notification that all is fine anyway? Send a notification only if there is a problem!
    • The icon is a bit ugly and has a non standard way of disabling.

What they should have done is changed the underlying program at the same time as the UI - not the UI first.

If UI must be changed first at least they could have made it a different colour (green was OK *Smile ) so it is clear it is not part of the OS and should be treated as a separate app.

6. AddRAM Win User
    Ya like why is Fresh Start a part of Windows Defender ?

I can only see accidents happening with that.

Are these changes coming from user feedback or what *sarc

AddRAM, Apr 12, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    I'm not against a unified UI and MS will move everything eventually from old style into new. It is even OK they do it piecemeal which is why you get the jarring jump from settings into old control panel while they do it.

The problem with Defender is they have just put a (inefficient) skin on top of the old program.

8. Bree New Member

9. eddward Win User
    Yes it is a bug, Microsoft is already working on it, I've got an answer from MS engineer on my feedback in FH regarding this and it's already noted in the known issues for latest Insider preview build 16170. The UI is just UWP based UI, nothing to do with Settings, however you can find a link to Windows defender app under Windows update.

Yes, UI is a bit uncomfortable but it will be fine over time, give it a time.

eddward, Apr 12, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    OK.

How about I don't mention it is rubbish until next week.

Despite the fact it was OK last week...

11. They designed it as it is so users will not find it easy to fool with it.

Josey Wales, Apr 13, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    Heh, I think you are right there Sir *Smile

13. New CU Windows Defender interface

One Thing I don't like on New Windows Defender In Creators update, I have to exclude some folders and files for a game, and after each scan, it displays a list of the expections that it couldn't scan, i'm like I know that in my mind

Exclusions are for Secondlife Game, Firestorm viewer lol

Trying it before I decide if I wanna reput in back Avast or not at this point, so far system response is nice and fast, scans are pretty quick, a few quirks though, but I can probably live with those

AMDMan2016, Apr 13, 2017
  14. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Just as someone already said. It hopefully will be fixed at later time.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 13, 2017
  15. Fafhrd Win User
    Does this mean it will tell you it has removed some malware, but will not tell you what, how, or why, under any circumstances?

Fafhrd, Apr 13, 2017
Thema:

1. New CU Windows Defender interface - Similar Threads - Defender interface

2. Weird? Windows Defender Interface Behaviour

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird? Windows Defender Interface Behaviour: Hey there, I've noticed something today while using Windows Defender and it seems weird to me, i'm not sure whether it is intended or not. So, when you open Windows Security tabfrom tray icons for example and then go to Virus & Threat Protection there is a Quick Scan button...
  3. Weird? Windows Defender Interface Behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird? Windows Defender Interface Behaviour: Hey there, I've noticed something today while using Windows Defender and it seems weird to me, i'm not sure whether it is intended or not. So, when you open Windows Security tabfrom tray icons for example and then go to Virus & Threat Protection there is a Quick Scan button...
  4. Weird? Windows Defender Interface Behaviour

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Microsoft Defender blank interface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender blank interface: I cannot access the to turn on the Microsoft defender after the updating my computer it is blank window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-blank-interface/d3b2a0a2-9826-4334-90f5-785fc63f20fb
  6. Microsoft Defender blank interface

Microsoft Defender blank interface: I cannot access the to turn on the Microsoft defender after the updating my computer it is blank window. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-blank-interface/d3b2a0a2-9826-4334-90f5-785fc63f20fb
  7. Microsoft Defender blank interface

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Microsoft Defender interface slow/laggy on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender interface slow/laggy on Windows 11: Hey all.I updated to Windows 11 on October 4th, and an issue arose that I also encountered when I first tried the beta for Windows 11 on July 31st: Microsoft Defender/Windows Security's UI is very slow/laggy. Animations are slow, transitions are slow, and if it's in the...
  9. Microsoft Defender interface slow/laggy on Windows 11

Microsoft Defender interface slow/laggy on Windows 11: Hey all.I updated to Windows 11 on October 4th, and an issue arose that I also encountered when I first tried the beta for Windows 11 on July 31st: Microsoft Defender/Windows Security's UI is very slow/laggy. Animations are slow, transitions are slow, and if it's in the...
  10. Can't re-enable windows defender interface after uninstalling Norton

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't re-enable windows defender interface after uninstalling Norton: I have followed all the steps here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start/problems-starting-windows-defender-in-windows/808253bb-db89-4db9-a4e5-1c91a86489e9 . When i did the last step of adding the "DisableAntiSpyware" to x00000000...