Windows 10: New Dell PC: Removing Crapware?

Discus and support New Dell PC: Removing Crapware? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got a new Dell PC. What is the best way to remove all the crapware? By this I mean all the Dell Utilities, the McAfee AV, DVD Players etc? I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nigelmercier, Apr 27, 2016.

1. New Dell PC: Removing Crapware?

I've got a new Dell PC. What is the best way to remove all the crapware? By this I mean all the Dell Utilities, the McAfee AV, DVD Players etc?

I've downloaded a recovery disk, but I think it's still all there. It must be installed from an script, so perhaps this could be disabled?

:)

nigelmercier, Apr 27, 2016
  2. Dad081751 Win User

How to set up a non-administrator family account on a laptop

1. I have two laptops setting next to each other (an old HP PC that is dying but still runs Outlook for email and a new Dell PC I am configuring to replace the old with no email yet).
    They are both connected to the internet. The new Dell PC configuration process setup my Microsoft account. Once I figured out I needed to setup a Microsoft account for my wife and join her account
    to my Microsoft family I think I might have used the browser on the old HP PC and selected the "accept" button in the email she received in Outlook on the old PC.

2. When I log into account.microsoft.com/family on the new DELL PC it shows two ids *** Email address is removed for privacy *** *** Email address is removed for privacy *** as being in the family. *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is the Local Account Administrator and the only account on the new DELL PC. Remember the problem is when I
    go to add a family member I see the "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date."

3. build: 15063.632 version of Windows 10 Home is 1703.

Dad081751, Apr 27, 2016
  3. skypejrs Win User
    Still researching removing Dell from PC

Thank you for a reply.

I share your concern for the registry. I need to learn more about editing it before I try any changes.

skypejrs, Apr 27, 2016
  4. Clint Win User

New Dell PC: Removing Crapware?

Download the Win 10 ISO. Do a clean install with that.

Clint, Apr 27, 2016
  5. kipper Win User
    Be sure to go to Dell support site and download all the drivers for you system and have them on hand so you can fix any driver discrepancies after you do the clean install........Win 10 will catch most but not all in my experience........

kipper, Apr 27, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    Make sure to select "Custom" during the clean install so you can delete all partitions, including the Dell OEM (40 MB, with diagnostics that would still be accessible from BIOS-ROM) and the Dell PBR partition, and regain some disk real estate.

Word Man, Apr 27, 2016
  7. I was hoping not to need a clean install, isn't there another option now: reset I think?

nigelmercier, Apr 28, 2016
  8. fireberd Win User

You can try the "Decrapifier" program. I used to work the Dell forums and what we always suggested.
    The PC Decrapifier

fireberd, Apr 28, 2016
  9. You could try doing a reset, just don't be surprised if it puts it back to OOBE with all the Dell Utilities still intact.

alphanumeric, Apr 28, 2016
  10. It did *Sad

I wonder if the Recovery Partition can be modified?

nigelmercier, Apr 28, 2016
  11. Easier to just do a clean install, IMHO. You'd likely have to modify an image file stored on that partition. There are some here more knowledgeable than me that can likely do that type of thing. I think it's going to end up being a lot of work though.

12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Before you do anything -- download FREE macrium and image all the existing partitions on the HDD - including the hidden Dell recovery one.
    That way you can restore the machine to "Shop / Factory" initial state in case you return it or something goes hideously wrong.

Download also the Windows ISO as people have suggested, and CLEAN install. You could also try the Ms Media creation tool too if you can't get hold of the W10 ISO.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 28, 2016
  13. fireberd Win User

Another issue I forgot to mention. Dell has a limited return policy if you decide you don't like it and want to return it. Its different for UK and EU than it is for US and don't know what that period is. I wouldn't do any upgrades or reconfigurations until the return period has passed.

fireberd, Apr 28, 2016
  14. HRC
    HRC Win User
    Why not just uninstall the stuff you don't want.

15. That will work. It can be tedious and time consuming depending on how much junk is preloaded though. My ASUS was loaded with junk Apps. Stuff gets left behind too, because uninstallers often leave stuff behind. I think the OP is looking a quick way to do it with minimal input from the user. IMHO, a clean install is the way to go. My factory OEM installs on my laptops are long gone. Good riddance. If you use the correct install media the embedded keys get detected automatically. No prompt to select the version and no prompt to enter a key. Activation is automatic too. Just a few options to select and its done with no bloat. Let Windows Update do its thing and all your drivers should be installed in the background for you.

Thema:

1. New Dell PC: Removing Crapware? - Similar Threads - Dell Removing Crapware

2. Internet connection problem on new Dell PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet connection problem on new Dell PC: I got a new Dell Inspiron 3880 PC (Windows 10) on (Monday) June 21st on a 15-day return policy, and so far most everything is fine, except for one problem. Early on (Fri.) July 1st, my Internet connection went down for the first time, and when I use the troubleshooter, I get...
  3. How to Get Rid of New Taskbar Crapware

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Get Rid of New Taskbar Crapware: I'm suddenly seeing new crapware on my taskbar amongst other placesand would like to know how to get rid of it.Why is Microsoft changing users PCs things without any user consent!Even the icon next to it, why is it always enabled? I don't want it, never asked for it. All the...
  4. New Dell PC on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Dell PC on Windows 10: I have a new Dell PC and cannot use it...At the log in screen it displays a different email address and it is wanting a PIN? I have a Microsoft account with another email and Password but this PC will not let me get past this "pin" and it is totally useless! Dell Support...
  5. Crapware blocker command

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Crapware blocker command: Hey guys so I just found a link to a how to geek article that shows how to enable protection against PUA’s using windows powershell. Is this legitimate, or a hoax? I would like to know before I try this. Thank you in advance! submitted by /u/HXD-Inferno [link] [comments]...
  6. New Dell PC randomly freezing/hanging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New Dell PC randomly freezing/hanging: So, My new Dell XPS PC has begun to randomly hang or freeze(3-4secs) and I assume it will only get worse. The pointer will lock in place for like 3 or 4 seconds. It's 4 days old and I think a contributing factor may be that I uninstalled a bunch of stuff that came pre-loaded...
  7. Windows 10 & Avoiding Crapware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 & Avoiding Crapware: In a recent ZDNet article "Avoid Windows 10 crapware: How to get rid of Candy Crush and all the rest," the author, Ed Bott, states that there are two options for avoiding crapware. At present, I sign in on my PC with my personal Outlook.com credentials. My Office 365...
  8. Dell Removal Patches For Their Second Problem. (New Pc's With)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dell Removal Patches For Their Second Problem. (New Pc's With): Hello, Regarding those two bad items (virus' ?) that Dell included with their new shipped PC's after, I think, Aug. of this year. Blame it on my age now, but I don't recall their names. One of them, had something like "Dellroot...", I think. They issued a simple...
  9. New Dell PC crashes network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Dell PC crashes network: Hi, Whenever I connect the Ethernet cable to my new Dell PC (Inspiron 3655, win 10, 64 bit), traffic goes up to about 50% without any application open and effectively crashes my home network (3 PCs). When I disconnect, everything goes back to normal. I have installed...
  10. Lenovo promises to stop bundling crapware on PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Lenovo promises to stop bundling crapware on PCs: Following on from the Superfish debacle the company found itself embroiled in earlier this month, PC maker Lenovo is promising to bring to an end to the practice of pre-loading crapware onto systems.Crapware (also know as "bloatware" or "junkware") is the stuff that hardware...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. quick way to remove dell crapware