Windows 10: New drive letter on update

Discus and support New drive letter on update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After this last update suddenly I have a new G drive which wasn't there before, only 448Mb with only 4Mb space left. Wondering where this drive came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cradom, Jun 1, 2018.

1. cradom Win User

New drive letter on update

After this last update suddenly I have a new G drive which wasn't there before, only 448Mb with only 4Mb space left. Wondering where this drive came from, what is on it (shows empty), and if formatting it (to get rid of the low space warnings) will hurt anything.
    It's not the recovery drive, that shows. Any idea where this came from?
    Thanks

:)

cradom, Jun 1, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Problem with letter drives confusing Sony Vegas

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Management (press [Win] +[R], type "diskmgmt.msc", and press [Enter]).
    • In the lower pane, right-click on the partition that you want to change drive letter, and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
    • A dialog should come up, showing the partition's current drive letter. Even if it is correct, click [Change].
    • From the dropdown, select any new letter, and then [OK] your way back to Disk Management. And check if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, Jun 13, 2018
  3. Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jun 13, 2018
Thema:

New drive letter on update

1. New drive letter on update - Similar Threads - drive letter update

2. Losing the drive letter on drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Losing the drive letter on drive: I have a WD Elements 2TB drive and my computer will not hold the designated drive letter, I can give it the drive letter E but each time I close down and restart I have to give it the drive letter again. Any help would be appreciated Harry...
  3. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: I want to change the drive letters ... How do you do that? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/c20d65a1-bc5b-48e3-8183-51a96d3c09fd
  4. Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive Letters: How do you add or change the flash drive letters? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters/2bd3eb65-decb-4598-ade6-c73118a79b0a
  5. Windows Update Changed Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Update Changed Drive Letters: A recent Windows update changed my "D" disc drive to "F" - why would this happen? And now my former D drive which is F will only accept gaming CD's - will not run a music cd or program cd for installations....
  6. Drive Letter

Drive Letter: I have automatic updates for windows 10. I have a separate drive normally connected to one of my windows devices. For many years this drive now identifies 100's of folders and many more files. When first installed it was allocated letter 'F' which since my latest update has...
  7. New drive letter after update

in Windows 10 Support
    New drive letter after update: After this last update suddenly I have a new G drive which wasn't there before, only 448Mb with only 4Mb space left. Wondering where this drive came from, what is on it (shows empty), and if formatting it (to get rid of the low space warnings) will hurt anything. It's not the...
  8. Update gave me a new drive letter -- I don't want it!

Update gave me a new drive letter -- I don't want it!: Hello, the most recent update of Windows 10 -- V1803, Build 17134.48 -- added a D drive to my collections of drives, causing me aggravation as I had previously assigned that drive letter to my Dropbox folders. The additional annoyance is the periodic warning that the drive is...
  9. Update gave me a new drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Update gave me a new drive letter: Hello, the most recent update of Windows 10 -- V1803, Build 17134.48 -- added a D drive to my collections of drives, causing me aggravation as I had previously assigned that drive letter to my Dropbox folders. The additional annoyance is the periodic warning that the drive is...
  10. Drive Letters

Drive Letters: When I plug a USB stick in any USB port the laptop allocates the next available letter to this drive - "E" - this applies to any USB stick I normally use. EXCEPT for one particular USB stcik which always shows up as "G" even though "E" and "F" are available. What's...